An inside look into UH football’s new designable turf

https://twitter.com/HoustonChron/status/1230874352444477442?s=20

NOTE: the turf graphics can be redesigned for every game! This is seriously cool!

3 Likes

It needs a UH on the space uniform somewhere. Helmet ?
Go Coogs !

Just make sure they don’t use this! lol

1 Like

Does anybody know how this changeable field turf works?

Designing on a laptop is one thing but I’m not understanding how the design is transferred onto the field.

the old ‘paint’ washed away? Is it painted over?

I would assume, it’s washed out. My guess would be something akin to huge carpet shampooer so it would vaccum it up for proper disposal.

Looks great…

Looks awesome, take advantage of every perk you can.
We are “Space City”. Maybe some astronauts to hand out
game ball?

1 Like

Looks like it’s washable paint and a Zamboni type machine makes several passes to make the design. They say cost would be a few thousand, hmm that’s ambiguous.

2 Likes
2 Likes

How about finishing the air conditioned bathrooms?

4 Likes

When I would go in at half time and it was about 100° in the stands, 80° in the men’s room felt OK to me. It’s not like you spend an hour or two in there.

5 Likes

What they really need to do is build concession stands and restrooms on the upper concourse, and install escalators to get up there!!!

8 Likes

XFL money allowed this to happen, so let’s not look a gift horse, etc…glad we are on the cutting edge of new technology.

9 Likes

Awnings. I vote for awning. Like the Roman coliseum. :sunglasses:

7 Likes

Totally agree!

I don’t want us to get too crazy, but I think this would be a great asset to have especially when we special events at games.

Can you imagine we have a game against Navy and we could have the image of the soldiers raising the flag at Iwo Jima?

Or how cool would it have been when we were retiring Case Keenum‘s number that we could’ve had an image of him on the field with all his accomplishments surrounding his picture? I think that would be pretty awesome.

2 Likes

Can someone explain. Are these graphics simple projected onto the field or are they painted on with a product that is easily removable allowing for frequent changes of designs?

This new turf is designed to be painted and easily washed clean.

Hmmm . . . Don’t tell me they use water to wash the paint away. :man_facepalming:

I can’t wait to see the rainy football games. :laughing:

As others have mentioned, we should incorporate a space theme when playing against UCF. It could nurture a rivalry.

Are there cameras set up to
Steal the other teams signals lol

1 Like