And Now A Word From Our Former Coaches

Dana Dimel…Has one of America’s worst teams at UTEP. Going nowhere.

Art Briles…Coaches High School Football

Kevin Sumlin…Is 4-6 at Arizona and is almost guaranteed to finish 4-8. Also had losing season last year.

Tommy Herman…Is at 6-4 and faces a very angry Baylor team in Waco next Saturday.At best he finishes 7-5. No longer confused with DKR.

Minor Applewhite… No longer on radar screens, assisting someone who assists someone at 'Bama.

Can any other University top this list?

The Ohio State University has a street on campus named for Woody Hayes, who was fired for throwing a punch at a Clemson player who was still wearing his helmet. Says a lot about the value system they have going on up there.

Levine runs a Chick Fil A.

9 Likes

And that may make him the most successful former UH Head Coach out there. At least over the last 20 years.

14 Likes

Oops, overlooked Levine.

Makes the list even more interesting!

2 Likes

I thought that Chick Fil A was one of the more difficult franchises to gain approval for. I think Levine may be winning just in a different way.

14 Likes

It is. Since CFA basically fronts all the financing and there is almost no way to fail with a CFA, it’s extraordinarily hard to get a franchise. Good for Tony.

3 Likes

Where’s Helton?

Works for his son Tyson as an analyst at Western Kentucky. His other son Clay might be joining him at WKU next year

1 Like

Let’s go back further.

Helton…fired by UH, never again a Head Coach.

Jenkins…fired by UH, never again a Head Coach.

1 Like

It’s the UH curse. You leave bad you get bad karma. You leave good you get good karma.

4 Likes

Briles, Sumlin and Herman will each amass $20M or more post-UH. No legends but they’re rich. Helton, Jenkins and Levine may all be happier.

1 Like

More money doesn’t make the grass greener. You can mow it more often, I guess.

Never mind the coaching trail of tears between Guy V. and CKS.

1 Like

It’s a great place to coach. Who’s the best coach at UH post-Yeoman?

I say Briles. He both recruited and he won. Two things that weren’t goin on when he arrived.

2 Likes

Pardee. Wish he hadn’t left to go to the Oilers. He might have also been the most successful coach after leaving as well (he was the first and only Oiler coach to win a division title), but he had a decent track record before arriving.

If he stays for that 1990 season, we may beat Texas and go undefeated…and we may not fall apart in 1991 and beyond.

7 Likes

Well, you’re right. I forgot about Pardee. His team also had 17 sacks in one game. A stat I still marvel at.

3 Likes

Eddy was the best DC we’ve had that I can remember. I can’t remember who was DC before him though.

1 Like