Another 11 am kickoff

Probably a good idea to have this at 11 am since Game 4 of the World Series will be occurring in Houston that night at 7 pm.

Edit: disregard, I’m an idiot as the ECU game is next week.

The last 11 a.m. kickoff was against Texas Tech, probably our most anticipated home game of the year. Not apples to apples.

Make no mistake, I’m not blaming the students for poor attendance. Like I said above, an 11 a.m. kick against a P5/AAC rival/contender and the students will carry us from an attendance standpoint like they have for 2 years. An 11 a.m. kick against one of the worst teams in the conference, and I don’t expect the students to show up like they typically do, nor do I blame them.

I place the blame on the corporatization of college football, and prioritizing TV revenue over campus environment.

4 Likes

Then show us some apples. Where do you get your student attendance data from?

Go look at the attendance of Illinois vs. Iowa at 11 am when they play in Illinois. I’d be willing to bet it’s lower than our average attendance at 11 am (I have not looked at the attendance numbers just going off of optics of B1G games that are broadcast nationally).

Hey, we just have to wear red next week:

https://twitter.com/UHCougarFB/status/922945800753303554

1 Like

Looking at the student section during the game? Not sure why you’re being so argumentative about this. I’ve been in 232 every home game since 2014. Last year, we played UCF at 11 A.M. at home on ESPNU coming off a terrible loss on the road at SMU with a 6-2 record. And the student section, along with the rest of the stadium, was not remotely full. Like I’ve said before, I’m not trying to bash our students, alumni, or the fan base in general. I’m just saying, the 11 A.M. kickoffs against less interesting opponents have a negative effect on attendance and campus atmosphere, whether we want to believe it or not. And we are most certainly not the only team in the country affected by this issue.

Looks like shaggy is asking for proof that the sun rises in the East.

11 am starts have a depressive effect on attendance? No kidding.

When we played Temple for the 2015 AAC Championship with an 11:00 AM start the official attendance was 35,721 (per U of H athletics site). So even when our fickle fan base is on the band wagon the 11:00 AM starts just kill our attendance.

1 Like

Students purposely boycotted the UCF game last year due to a parking dispute or something along those lines.

1 Like

People try so hard to point everywhere but at themselves. The fact is, the student attendance is better than it has ever been. If they don’t show up, it’s not because of the date, time or opponent, it’s because the school has done something to push them away.

I don’t mind the 11 am kickoff for this game as I have other things to do that evening. I think that the general feeling around the program right now will have a bigger effect than the kickoff time. Many are frustrated, bored and UH football is not on the top of the priority list right now.

I am reminded of an interview with Nick Saban a few years ago where he said that the job of a college football coach is not to only coach but also be the head cheerleader for the team in the community. CTH did that and people rode with him, the team rode with him. Having someone at the helm that is not interested in filling that role hurts as it does hurt other programs around the country.

1 Like