Another one! BOOM DB Johnathan Phenix! (Update: Signed)

https://twitter.com/PHENIX_3/status/875500507703513089

“I’m really proud of him,” Thrash said. “Houston is an excellent program. Coach Clay Jennings is from the Waco area. He’s a good friend of mine as well. He saw something in Johnathan as far as the defensive back position. Coach Jennings took another kid from me when I was at Stony Point — Kevin White. We have a good relationship. When I got to McGregor, I told him to come and give Johnathan a look. He has a lot of talent and a lot of room to develop into a better player.”

Kevin White is on the Steelers.
Hopefully J Phenix follows same path.

2 Likes

Somehow, I missed this:

Out of 28 players on the 2016 First Team All-Super Centex, nine were juniors. Two of those nine are committed to Houston:

Jonathon Phenix and Garrison Vaughn.

Here are the bios written in January:

DB Garrison Vaughn
Belton, Jr.

Vaughn, a prototype safety at 6-foot-2 and 191 pounds, had 103 tackles and five interceptions, returning two for touchdowns. Vaughn, who has an offer from Tulsa and is also being recruited by Notre Dame, also returned 11 kicks for 363 yards.

DB Jonathon Phenix
McGregor, Jr.

Shutdown corner who was placed on opponents’ top wide receivers the entire season – and almost always with success. Phenix had 34 tackles, one interception, seven pass breakups and two forced fumbles this season. At 6-foot and 175 pounds, Phenix is the prototypical size for a Division I defensive back and is being recruited by SMU, TCU and Navy.

3 Likes

And here’s an article put out around signing day about Centex top junior recruits. UH has three on the list: Phenix, Vaughn and Logan Hall.

Of the 16 names, 7 were First Team All-Super Centex (including Phenix and Vaughn), 2 were Second Team, 6 were Honorable Mention . . . and Hall was left out of the All-Super Centex article altogether. Clearly by mistake.

4 Likes

Nice

Jack Boyz are reloading! :sunglasses:

1 Like

If he was committed to Texas I’m sure he’d be a 3 or 4 star (like they get every evaluation right
psssh). lol I swear the recruiting sites get really lazy with the ratings when they know kids are here to stay a Coog. That’s ok, as long as they can play ball!

3 Likes

https://twitter.com/PHENIX_3/status/890411972860293122

The Bulldogs big win was secured by three goal line stands by the defense, and 220 rushing yards from senior Johnathan Phenix.

Phenix scored three times, and all of his touchdowns were critical. McGregor led 14-12 at halftime, and on their first possession of the second half, Phenix took a direct snap on 4th-and-1 and went 39 yards to the end zone. The ensuing extra point gave the Bulldogs a 21-12 lead.

----------
“He can fly,” Thrash said of Phenix, a University of Houston commit. “He is a special guy. On defense, we had guys around the football all night. They played lights out.”

https://twitter.com/briancoats94/status/913936201656172544
https://twitter.com/briancoats94/status/913956882859139073

We sure could use some of that breakaway speed this year. Sigh

Imagine after the season when our two best route runners (Dunbar and Bonner) graduate and we have a handful of speedy receivers that can’t get open. Dunbar+Bonner>Speedy guys who can’t plant and find separation.

If these young guys never develop, you’re right. But I don’t think it’s a given that speedy WR = bad route runner/inability to get separation. Otherwise, Case Keenum wouldn’t have been able to set all those records. Hopefully these young guys will develop into actual good WRs. One thing is for sure, you can’t coach speed. You either have it or you don’t. You can coach good route running.

Also, this post was definitely not a knock against Dunbar or Bonner. Those guys have been tremendous and I wouldn’t trade them for anything. I just wish we had some burners we could throw out there. We’ve always been able to find speedy guys, but that skill set is noticeably lacking this year.

We have some guys, they’re just either injured or can’t learn the playbook. This is assuming that they can run routes and get open. But then again, our base offense doesn’t change much so the calls from the sideline shouldn’t be all that confusing. There has to be more to it. We have speed returning, red-shirting and coming in this next class as well, for next year. I’m both nervous and excited. Corbin and King will be our #1 and #2 by default. For that reason, we may be getting some more WR as transfers too. The defense will be extremely solid.

1 Like

You got to figure Stevenson will be in the mix if he can stay healthy.

There’ll be a huge changeover on offense. We lose 4 of our 6 top receivers, our top RB, both our QBs (I expect Allen to transfer), 1 of our 2 tight ends, and 2 of our starting OL.

Should be a lot of competition.

1 Like

Dunbar isn’t a senior, why won’t he be back next year?

We need to get some production out of the tight end position.

He is. :frowning2:

Dunbar, Bonner, Leday, and Jefferson are all seniors.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/C_D_Williams_/status/923545021986590723

2 Likes