Another reason why I dislike Rice

Rice endowment is ranked 16th nationally by US News and World Report at 6.27 billion. No tears https://twitter.com/markbermanfox26/status/1243698509368504322?s= .

@RiceAthletics director of athletics @jkarlgaard on NCAA sending Div1 members $225M instead of $600M:”Any loss of revenue is something we have to account for in our future budgeting process-Yeah this is gonna be a hit,but it’s 1 of many things we have to take into consideration”

Wait!!! Are you saying we need reasons to hate Rice???

7 Likes

If so, let me know; I can provide a very long list!

3 Likes

That’s OK Pat, you told me enough over 40 years ago. :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Well it’s gonna be a long offseason. Fire away.

2 Likes

Rice with its big endowment just raised tuition again. From a school that used to be free is now one of the most expensive

3 Likes

I’ve hired Rice grads, some good, some bad, some promoted, some canned , same as UH grads !!

It ain’t the school people, it is the person !!

19 Likes

My experience with the Rice grads I’ve encountered in my 40 years in Houston is that they’re flakey. Smart but weird.

5 Likes

Yep - just like the present students!

1 Like

Scroll down to the thread entitled, Classic Stories & UH History. There you will find several posts that I have made over the years, recalling a lot of history that every Cougar should know - but don’t! A couple of them deal specifically with Rice treachery that we have encountered over the years.

1 Like

This is my cousin. She’s at Rice for a graduate program after she couldn’t find a gig with her odd undergrad degree. She is smart, but not nearly as smart as she thinks. Acts as weird as possible, but comes off as trying too hard.

No correlation between endowment size and football prowess.

At my kids’ high school, Duke, Vandy, USC and UVA are more popular than Rice.

I don’t get what the issue is here. The fact that they have a very large endowment?

1 Like

Jealousy! I admit it in this case. What we could do a fraction of the resources they have. It irritates me that the AD is poor-boying it as well. He knew what he was getting into when he took the job. The money is and always has been there to support athletics if they chose to do so.

Will do. Thanks.

He (AD) did admit on the news their chasing Power 5 schools in terms of competition and resources which is a waste of time. Their fan base doesn’t care.

If they focus on non revenue sports where you can get the athletically sound good grade kid they’ll be fine. They won’t win in football or basketball consistently

While we have some history, good and bad, with Rice, it is an outstanding school that has contributed greatly to our city, state, and the world. Here’s a good example $300 ventilator

I’ve worked for them, alongside them, and had them as employees. I even dated one for a while - somehow a pretty one snuck through the hedges. Have yet to meet a bad one. That said, we should never again play them in football or basketball - let them wither on the vine.

2 Likes

Remember that time the MOB spelled out Cougar High at halftime? Exactly.

1 Like

This thread is really silly. I don’t think any school (including ours) uses any part of the revenue from their endowment for athletics, much less a school like Rice and pretty sure they all have rules in place for that. Last I checked Yale and Harvard don’t have the best athletic facilities in the country. This is like getting mad at your buddy for saying a 50% paycut for him will require some adjustments to his household budget because he has a rich uncle even though that uncle can’t or won’t give him any money. Or you could analogize a business unit that has to demonstrate self-sustained profitability even though it’s part of a very profitable overall company.

Complaining about tuition increase there is different, but that’s a symptom of a completely broken system.

Not quite an exact comparison. As part of the Ivy League, Harvard, Yale, and others in the league do not give athletic scholarships. If Rice wants to be a player in whatever league or division they choose to be part of, I don’t think it’s unfair to call them out on their lack of support for their athletic facilities and commitment.