Another Top Prospect to sign with G League

Duke, Kentucky and Penny are not going to be happy.
http://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1283574638128193536

2 Likes

$500K plus sponsor money right after high school. Uh, and why would I want one year of college?
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1283579817888296961?s=09

7 Likes

Right… Take the $ and opportunity to focus solely on basketball.

2 Likes

Texas Tech was the loser here.

3 Likes

The new normal

4 Likes

We are going to have a league of uneducated players that not many people are watching. They will be capped at that amount and must hope that they get the opportunity to play in the NBA for more :moneybag:. It will be watered down when everyone in the G League has the same talent level. That kid that go to College will have a better chance of making more and going straight to the NBA.

1 Like

Do you think this any different than baseball players going to the minors out of HS? Just curious because I don’t see any criticism of baseball.

4 Likes

Exactly this is the move to be closer to the baseball model where the best of prospects have a choice on where they want to develop and try to make the big league. The difference remaining is that even if choose college route you can enter the draft any year you like whereas baseball you have to stay 3 years once enrolled.

4 Likes

So you think these 5 star players should go to college for one year and think they are going to make more money in the NBA than they would if they did not go to college for one year. LeBron James, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant did not go to college and I think their NBA careers are pretty good.

These G League pro path guys are making a lot of money and working on perfecting their craft all day long. They do not have to worry about going to class, doing homework or any NCAA violations.

2 Likes

Good lord just send everyone to G league and just shut college basketball down, the nba and g league are ruining college basketball

1 Like

NBA G League pro path is only for elite players. College can have all the rest. :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t quite see how the NBA and the G League are detrimental to the college basketball experience…for both fans and the players. Every single year for the past two decades (and beyond) there have been exciting college basketball seasons along with awesome March Madness games. The college game will adjust…and probably not miss these kids leaving early at all.

5 Likes

Yes, some people do not understand college basketball will still be exciting to watch but without a few elite players.

1 Like

Just curious, did you even know who Jonathan Kuminga was before this announcement? Is the NCAA losing 5-10 players really going to “ruin” college basketball?

2 Likes

I’ve never been particularly interested in watching college basketball just for the elite players. What I love about college basketball is team and individual effort. Elite players tend to muck up the team effort aspect, at least for me. I love watching teams with less talent knock off the blue bloods in the tourney. That doesn’t happen if it’s just all about elite talent.

2 Likes

I do in that sense. Getting drafted pretty high means Millions in the account vs a quick 500K and hoping it pans out for you at G Level.

BTW, 500k is a lot of money, but if there is a potential to make more, just go to College for at least a year.

This isn’t the right comparison, since it’s not an either/or. They would spend a year in the G-League and then it would be onto the NBA draft, where as you say it would then mean millions in the account. It would just mean that instead of playing an unpaid college season, they would make money in that year instead.

I am using what Zion Williams did vs this new “G League” thing we are hearing these kids do now. Maybe it is me, but I haven’t seen many from G League making it to the NBA and then turning to a LeBron James type player (You can insert the old CBA in place of G League as well).

So the g league is not creating a top 5 of all time player on a regular basis? Crazy, huh?

It’s only been an option for a few years, and is starting to become more popular. You’ll likely see more examples soon.