Antoine Davis = released from LOI / HC Davis to Detroit-Mercy

Hmmm. Interesting development (or it is to this outsider).

So this means another scholarship has opened up correct?

Weird to have a kid leave before playing a single game particularly without a coaching change. Not unprecedented in college BB but how many times has this happened to UH in the past decade? It canā€™t be many timesā€¦

the only way this makes sense is that orlando rumors scared davisā€¦his dad is a coach and knows the businessā€¦

tom izzo squashed the orlando rumor in less than a day, sampson is letting it lingerā€¦if all of this is just a negotiation tactic, he is shooting himself in the foot with recruitingā€¦

so now we have 3 free scholarshipsā€¦ with practically no one left to recruit ā€¦

wow why? i was really high on davis. thought he would be a beast for us.

Considering playing for Coach Sampson was a big draw for him, this had to bode ill for our negotations we are having with him. This does not make sense unless there is a strong chance of Sampson leaving.

With our current depth 2018 -19 will be fine.
3 scholarships for next recruiting cycle (Frosh/JUCO/traditional transfer)

Fill in the gaps with one year grad transfer players.
https://gradtransfertracker.com/potential-transfers-1/
List doesnā€™t ā€œwowā€ you but its just a single season=plenty of short term depth.
For Ex:
Malik Hines. UMass, C 6-10
-9.0 points and 6.1 rebounds- led the Atlantic 10 with 65.8 field goal percentage.

Tory Miller-Stewart, Colorado, PF 6-9
-6.2 points and 4.7 rebounds in 6 games before getting hurt.

If Hinton is also released, then I suspect Sampson is gone. Very strange, hopefully this bleeding stops here.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/Top100Talent/status/1000214171575836672

There are some rumors out there, Mike Davis might be moving on

1 Like

Manā€¦ this orlando stuff is really ruining a lot of things for UH bball

That makes some sense of why this is happening?

1 Like

There could be any number of reasons, including his dad leaving. Iā€™m sure part of the draw of coming here was staying close to family. We were also easily his best offer when he committed and looks like heā€™s getting some more good looks now.

The timing is a bit coincidental with the Sampson Orlando rumor and potential contract talks, but itā€™s probably wise to stay off the ledge over it.

6 Likes

I doubt seriously that Davis has any insight into Orlandoā€™s search. Or his father, for that matter. I suspect heā€™s getting heavy petting from an SEC assistant coach.

1 Like

it might not be insight but wisdom, he might have decommited because he has no insight
summer school starts in a week, unlike the other recruits he only had a few decent offersā€¦
if sampson were to take the job in 1-3 weeks he might be stuck in houston with a coach he doesnt want or be stuck trying to find a new team way too lateā€¦not to mention sampson likely gave him his release the same day he asked (davis and sampson are friends), it might not have been so easy with a new coach (marshall at wsu sees LOIs as a commitment, rarely ever lets anyone out)

his dad has been a d1 coach forever he knows the systemā€¦

it could have nothing to do with orlando, but he has been committed for 8 months, 1 week after the orlando rumor comes he decommits, that would be a rather strangely timed coincidence

plus the rumor is the favorite to land him is his father at tsu not the sec schools,

From what I have heard, it appears to be more of a case where his Dad ends up and very little, if anything, to do with the Sampson issue.

Dad may be going to San Jose State? Thatā€™s a long way from Houston.

That was last summer. San Jose State hired someone else.

This, however, is from an hour ago. Detroit News writer:

https://twitter.com/TonyPaul1984/status/1001839580537065472

For those who care, Ray McCallum was the coach there for several years.

1 Like

Well I guess it was about time for TSU to screw their situation up. You would think they would take the money from the body bag games and us using the HP&E to try to secure Davis. He could build something lasting there.

1 Like