Antoine Davis

Corey probably would have had to play less minutes. You could have had a backcourt of Nate, Deeky and A Davis to backup the starters. Since he is he son of a coach, you’ve got to believe he would have bought into Kelvin’s system.

Oh well, I’m certainly not going to complain about where we are, but what could have been

1 Like

Yep, like early on when Corey was struggling, no doubt; especially against St Louis. That game with Antoine wouldn’t have been as close and UH’s margin of victory and… error would had been a bit bigger since the 3 pt shot can change a game in a hurry. Also heard his on ball defense is decent, and with Coach Bishop, he probably would be even stronger and 5 pds heavier lol.

I’m happy with the current team, tho. Who knows how his shot selection and him guarding taller guys would of had effect the game overall. And he’s not a pg whatsoever.

This is a guy who beat Steph Curry 3 record. He shoots with confidence.

Defense defense defense !! He’s only 6’ 1" so that can be an issue. You still have to have shooters to put ball in basket but I’ve heard CKS say he doesn’t recruit players just looking to score and needing high volume of shots to achieve that. I doubt he would have got more than 10-12 mins/gm playing time this year. Playing on more up-tempo style w Detroit Mercy then he would have here. Also team is like 11-18 for season and middle of pack in a lackluster mid-major conf last I looked. #freelansing

1 Like

Detroit is basically a one man show…and guess who that is?

1 Like

Bingo!

Maybe he would be great here and would love to have his shot. Btw Samson said he had the best shot of any kid he ever recruited so not really surprised. However we have a great or elite defensive team and that is why we are where we are. There are no real chinks in are armor so I am fine not being greedy by wishing for another shooter.

1 Like

Russ, I think with a little seasoning young Davis would have been really good here. He certainly could have been instant offense off the bench. And from everything I have seen and heard he is a very coachable and likable kid. He would have played defense hard for Sampson…but he probably would not have broken Steph’s record here…

We’re 27-1 so it’s hard to definitively say he’d add anything to this year’s team. I’m not quite sure where his minutes would come from this year, though you’d have to think CKS would find a way to get a kid who can shoot like that on the floor some. Definitely wish we had him for next year and beyond, though. But we still look to be in great shape at guard with Armoni for another year, Deeky, Hinton, Mills, and Sasser. I’m guessing we’ll have some legit 2020 guys as well.

1 Like

There is zero relation between Antoine’s minutes and performance at Detroit and what he would have done here.

He’s a one-man show at Detroit, kind of like what Pete Maravich was at LSU back in the day. He plays 37 minutes a game, and gets all the shots he wants.

But he isn’t asked to defend or rebound.

If he had come here, he would be an undersized true freshman who would have been fighting for minutes with a bunch of guys who are bigger and stronger.

He might, and I emphasize might, have found a small role this year as an “instant offense” guy, like a Vinnie “Microwave” Johnson. But he wouldn’t be getting a ton of minutes, and if he didn’t defend and rebound, Kelvin wouldn’t play him regardless of how sweet his stroke is.

4 Likes

Agree, My point was never that he would start or had as many shots, but it would have been great to have another shooter with his range come off the bench. His role would have been probably close to Armoni’s as a freshman.

2 Likes

Strongly agree w the last sentence. Why waste a year of his talent with a Sr leader (CD) strongly entrenched at shooting guard n plays defense at high level.

1 Like

sampson was very adament he was going to play … also we’ve pretty much figured things out now but lets not act like we werent struggling with utrgv and rice earlier in the season with bad offense …with corey and galen doing 37 mins a game…he would have been in the rotation

i actually think it would have eaten into ceds minutes and wed have used hinton at the 4 more

he isnt touching his detroit numbers or even close…but sampson plays on matchups, (ie unleashing breon vs soft bigs etc.) davis does something our other 2 points currently cant (elite shooting)…that would have been another chess piece depending on the matchup…imagine trying to defend armoni, corey, antoine vs a team without enough pieces to guard that many shooters …

but like i said im not mad we dont have him…it shows sampsons ability to find talent…and that he is honest in his public evaluations
(note he also called deeky’s early struggles but eventual rise to stardom in the preseason)

3 Likes

Time to knock off the unwarranted and harsh criticism of one of our players.

Sampson doesn’t coach speak so if he said he was going to play a lot I believe him, I just don’t remember that. Even though I brought it up (and think it would have been something for the staff to think about) I agree a redshirt wouldn’t have been too likely given that we did have some guard depth issues early in the year before Deeky came back and got up to speed. Retrospectively it probably would have made sense for either him or Nate now though because one of those guys almost certainly wouldn’t be playing much (my guess is Davis).

Maybe early in the year 4 or 5 of Ced’s minutes would have gone to Nate, but I doubt they would once we’ve settled into Fabian and Ced each playing around half the game.

Criticism? I didn’t criticize anyone

I noted ceds minutes is where his minutes might have come from… as he was playing a ton of minutes becuase we had no depth at the 4 until recently when Harris emerged and Fabian returned

With another guard available (with dejons early absence) we’d have been more willing to use Nate at the 4

Not sure when anyone was criticized … not to mention even harsh

2 Likes

I agree, no idea where the harsh criticism comment is coming from. A former commit/signee is one where comments have been made on would he have had such instant success at UH as he’s having at current School. Thread Lightly! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

It was in the preseason, Sampson said all 3 (incoming guards) would play a critical role for us and expected all 3 to play big minutes

And it makes sense, early in the season there were games that we wouldn’t have won without Galen shooting 3s, and a few games in the middle of the season we don’t win without Hinton hitting 3s

i think Galen and Hinton stepped into the role Sampson originally had for Davis… I don’t think by design Sampson wanted to rely on Galen for 3s… and Kellen indirectly said Hinton and dejon weren’t good shooters in the preseason and needed to “get more shots up” before the season started

Alley is a key piece to one of if not the best defensive team in the nation.

I am sure not going to start wishing we had an undersized guard who can shoot taking his minutes away. We are considered by every analyst to be one of the deepest teams in the nation and are 27-1 and a questionable call away from 28-0 and some of you think we need a tr fr guard. He may have been great but I would not trade the results from this season for any otuer circumstances.

I don’t think anyone said we needed him…
I think most of us are just in marvel of the team Sampson almost built

We are 27-1 and a key cog in Sampsons originally plan left 2 weeks before freshman move in day… that cog has shown to be of the most elite college shooters

We are elite as is and could have been potentiallly better

2 Likes