Applewhite Press Monday 09/25/2017

I get your comparison. I was replying as to whether MA was empathizing with KA - I thought Major would keep it internal given his history at the position.

KA still has not led the team to a 2nd half score. I don’t want to lose 3 or 4 more games just to keep from hurting his feelings.

3 Likes

I get what you mean now. You aren’t talking about the QB comparisons. You are talking about the situation of everyone wanting to put their two cents in on who should start.

Yes. He’s our guy for this year and next. He needs all the reps he can get.

That is the complete opposite of what Applewhite has said. He said the job is open. All the QBs will be getting reps. He said that if you say a job is safe, it leaves room for the player to get comfortable and not work hard to keep the job.

That’s fine. I should have clarified. I think he’s our guy for this year and next, and needs all the reps he can get.

Postma has hit his ceiling. He’s a spark off the bench when we need it. That’s his game.

I see it the same way
Applewhite was the unheralded recruit who all he did was win.
Simms was the #1 QB recruit in the country and he could not win unless he had no pressure on him. He was a turnover machine. And Brown stuck with him.

1 Like

No one on the AAC Conference call wanted to ask Major a question; JD popped in and asked one because he felt bad. Philly guy asked one after JD’s. Basically talks about Temple in this one.

Why do you think that is? There are certainly plenty of questions to ask. Do you think the league gives the press do’s and don’t’s for questions? I hope not.

Reporters only ask if they need something for their stories. Houston isn’t on the national radar this week so the only ones that care are the Houston and Philly reporters. The Philly reporters are basically like the Houston reporters in that there’s probably only one guy covering the team and he may only get 2 to 3 stories in the Philly paper that week.

I get that. Thanks. Here’s a thought, have the university papers ever tried to get a reporter on those calls? I think that would be good training for them as most are probably journalist majors or some other form of communications. They would be more interested on a weekly basis, too.

They usually just go to the weekly press conference that you saw in the original post where there’s more time to spend answering specific questions.

The AAC teleconference is only for the beat/national writers that aren’t in the city and is just a quick succession of coaches who come on, answer a few questions and get off the line. Herman, last year, was getting about 5-6 questions per session for varying reasons (playoff, opponents, coaching rumors, etc).

Postma is not the incumbent. He has never started a game because he won the spot - only because of injury.

I think Allen is taking too much grief for this game. Our staff knows what kind of player he is yet haven’t built an offense for his skill set. Center play hurt him a lot this week.

I have more of a problem that our OL coach and OC couldn’t figure out that we had an issue snapping it and couldn’t correct it in-game.

1 Like

Ryan, Spring and training camp are for players to establish themselves as leaders. This is when Kyle should have mastered the offense. I only saw one game in the stands against UA but I can tell you that he left a bunch of yardage on the field. He had wide open receivers multiple times. He was shaky all game long. At the same time he threw some beautiful passes. I will take any day a second read that breaks the defense mental state over a beautiful throw. When you know that the QB can slow down his decision making while being rushed by the defense it is very hard to defend against. I have not seen one play when he has demonstrated that. I wish, wish, wish he had. He has not elevated his game. I feel like he is playing with no confidence. Defenders are like wolves they smell fear miles away. Often that is the difference between a win and a loss
even with five turn overs.

1 Like

Postma was the only QB with experience starting under Applewhite. There was no snapping problem against Arizona. Allen’s skill set is standing still in the pocket for 3 seconds and going through too many progressions before getting rid of the ball. Works great for defenses like Rice.

Besides the snapping problem, it appeared to me that Allen stared down his primary receiver. [NOTE: most often it was either Bonner or Dunbar.] And because he would usually watch him run his pattern for 3+ seconds before he threw the ball, it was often delivered late and behind the receiver. [NOTE: The opposite of what we saw in Case Keenum who would often throw the ball before the receiver made his final move/cut and ran his route.]

It seems likely that if this doesn’t change, we will see a lot more interceptions rather than TD’s. Obviously, this is where some QB coaching and development is needed.

1 Like

Any one remember when Applewhite said he wanted to keep the offense simple for Arizona.

This. I’d be surprised if MA doesn’t make a move this weekend. And I suspect (because I surely don’t have any inside information) that Allen knows it. MA knows exactly what’s expected of him. Hardly a time for a rookie head coach to support a situation that results in game and fan losses.

I wonder if anyone knows whether King is actually receiving enough reps with the first unit to be receiving real consideration. Lastly, I agree that Postma should has earned the right to replace KA, given last year’s and the way he moved the team against TT.