Applewhite's Recruiting Grade

Seems like we have been getting a ton of commits. What would you grade Applewhites recruiting so far?

From what I have read: B+

1 Like

Honestly, I’d grade it an Incomplete, and yes, that’s a cop out.

We can hope these guys are “Diamonds in the Rough” and hope the coaches will get the most out of them, but we really don’t know much about the coaches or the recruits themselves. Still, there are some nice pieces in there and we’re loading up on linemen, at least on the defensive side, which is never a bad thing.

2 Likes

We have the #1 class in the AAC right now, but there is a definite drop off of the caliber of players we seem to be targeting. I agree with pray – Incomplete.

Way too early for a grade…I think the main thing here is that our coaching staff is cashing in getting commitments from kids they feel comfortable with. At this point we simply have to hope coach Applewhite is a good judge of talent. And if I was a gambling man I would say he is…some will continue to complain because this group is not loaded with stars thus far, but those are the same folks who will complain when some of the P5 swoop in and try to poach us late in the process…

2 Likes

But that #1 is based on more recruits. We’re #7 based on average player ranking. Some of those averages may go up and some may go down as they fill out their classes, but #1 total doesn’t mean much right now.

I would say B+. Skill position guys are numerous in Texas and Louisiana so one guy versus another doesn’t get me worked up. The lines are where you want us to be recruiting against the SEC and Big 12 teams for kids. The middle linebacker from Louisiana fits the bill.

1 Like

I doubt anybody here thought our 2011 and 2012 recruiting was super duper, but we’ve had 6 or 7 draft picks from them and another 5 or 6 UFA make a team from those years. Agree with above posters, time will tell.

2 Likes

My god, do you people have lives?

What’s with the negativity? If you don’t want to have conversations you don’t have to be on here.

3 Likes

What will make ur incomplete a P/F or letter grade A-F in say six months? wait a minute…jus everbody WAIT a minute i smell…pesik…or worse a pesik accolade.

signs of pesik logic: word salad posts designed to show ur weak understanding of recruiting; general pessimisim of anything CMA and staff can do; own a massive misunderstanding of college football recruiting despite years of “short attention span” attention (yeh…yeh…u watch hundreds of hours of film); own a complete misunnerstanding of basics statistics; and as pesik or his accolade u r by nature a lazy thinker craving attention.

Finally, though u cud not/wud not predict Herman’s successes/failures he is now ur gold standard and everything else is crap. u want ur tommie back.

so I’ma ax that u show your work in the comment above. In formulating your answer pleez consider the following:

r u pesik? answer truly (i.e. yep) stop…stop here pesikman.

if u want answer the following:

• does having a third HC in 3 three recruiting seasons impact recruting?;
  • specifically what makes these recruits failures before stepping a foot on campus?
  • what evidence can you point to indicating the inability of our coaching staff to evaluate (or not) talent?
  • do u axcept the premise that the rating system is a contrivance to make money off of saps like you?

c. kong

This. I’ll give it a C-

So, um, you replied to me so I’m guessing you’re taking issue with my post.

1. I’m not pesik and I haven’t read a pesik post since the move since he doesn’t post here as far as I know.

2. I was replying to Aldineblue because he asked the question. All I did was give my opinion. I’m not an expert and don’t pretend to be. My opinion is worth about 2 farts in the wind in the end.

3. I’m not sure where I’ve been pessimistic at all of CMA and his staff and am quite happy with how things are going. In fact, in most of the threads on the recruits, I’ve been positive and tried to find positives for each of the kids. They will hopefully end up Coogs and I’ll support them through thick and thin. However, the question was what grade to give Applewhite and I don’t believe a grade can be given at this time. Question is, what grade would you give since you seem to have an opinion?

4. I could give a rat’s ass about Our former coach at this point. He came, did a great job in 2015, did a disappointing job last year while lying every chance he could get, and is now gone to the evil empire. I’m hoping he looses every game because I hope UT always loses every game. Otherwise, he’s a former coach and I could care less about him.

5. As far as wanting his recruiting back, nah, I prefer the current approach and staff as they’re honest. We got screwed pretty badly last year when the former coach secured a lot of early commits to raise his profile, only to see many of them jet when he did. I want kids who want to be here; don’t care about stars.

6). In regards to your questions at the bottom:

• Absolutely, having 3 coaches in 3 recruiting cycles impacts recruiting.
  • I never said they were failures. I believe in every one of them
  • I believe our coaches can evaluate talent. Hopefully, they can get the most out of these kids.
  • I’ve questioned the rating systems in multiple other threads as have many on this board. I also don’t pay anything to any scouting service at this time because it isn’t worth it.

7). I’m assuming you’re from the Scout board since you’re mentioning pesik and you don’t really know who I am. I welcome you here and encourage you to contribute, but realize that this isn’t the Scout board and many of us are here because we didn’t want to deal with the pettiness and annoying personal battles that went on daily between the trolls visiting that site. Mostly, you get Coogs supporting the University here.

8 Likes

At this point , it seems CMA has a direction he wants to go as far as recruiting is concerned and I can’t place it and not worried about it

He knows he has to win and that’s starts with recruiting.
Let’s see

What’s the max number of scholarships for 2018 that we can offer?

Great reply, pray.

2 Likes

Thanks, Dan, I try.

Eric, the max is always 25, but we can have no more than 85 scholarship players on the roster. We should be able to add 25 this year based off earlier counts I’ve done as, even with those 25, won’t get to 85 the next few years.

Based on highest ratings for players from the several services, of our 16 recruits we have 1- 4 star, 10- 3 star, 3- 2 star, 2 not yet evaluated. I’d say that’s dang good.

4 Likes

The way the commitments have been rolling in once we held our camps I have to say at this point he receives a curve based A.
To be getting this many commitments when he has only coached one game is pretty respectable and he seems to be getting athletes at least as good as our recent baseline, and perhaps better.

3 Likes

It looks to me like CMA is recruiting within a wider footprint than recent UH coaches. I base this strictly off of the hometowns I’ve seen on the board in my two seasons of being in TDECU. Do those who have watched this for years and who know more than I do agree or disagree. The pick ups from La. are particularly interesting to me.

2 Likes

I agree Packtex. Seems like Herman was set on building a wall around Houston. I think the bigger Texas footprint is partially the result of our brand having a bigger footprint than it used to.

2 Likes