Applewhite's Recruiting Grade

Levine regularly hit up Louisiana for recruits and Herman continued that to some extent. But yes, his focus was more on Houston and east Texas. Applewhite has retained that, but is hitting Louisiana hard. We have landed some exceptional talent from our neighbor the east, so it would be a travesty to ignore it.

1 Like

Don’t forget that Coach Scelfo has deep ties in Louisiana as well; he was head coach at Tulane for 8 years, graduated from Northeast Louisiana and also has the added bonus of having some NFL cred due to his coaching stint with Atlanta for 6 years. He’s been the main recruiter in Louisiana.

So far, I think we lucked out getting Coach Scelfo considering that he wasn’t the first hire.

4 Likes

We have always gone after guys from OK, too. Seems like some of them like leaving the plains for big city living.

I don’t know much Scelfo as a coach, but NC State people really liked what his son did as an OL at State. One of those overachievers.

1 Like

Major was born and raised in Louisiana as well.

2 Likes

Apologies for this, but after being jilted at the alter twice by Herman and Sumlin, my paranoia has gone cuckoo.
Hate to even think that this recruiting cultivation may be with a certain SEC school in mind down the road.

Just accept the fact that coaches like all employees most likely have one foot out the door at all times. The best you can ever hope for these days is that they don’t f you over like the sleaze bags Herman and Summie. If they leave the right way then you can be bummed but wish then luck.

Yep, meant to say that along with what I said about Coach Scelfo.

We’ve definitely got some horses to grab Louisiana kids’ attention.

I agree with NTX. Basing it on total recruits might be a thing if some classes failed to fill up scholarships but seeing as every year, every school eventually fills their cap, average ranking is the only thing to go off of until a few years down the line when many are in the starting lineup.

Why leave Briles off that list?

Fair point I guess I just kept it short term, but yes Briles too.