Are former AAC coaches regretting their Power 5 decisions?

https://www.sixthyearsports.com/post/are-former-aac-coaches-regretting-their-power-5-decisions-scott-frost-justin-fuente-mike-norvell

5 Likes

To me if you are making good money in the AAC why leave? To win a National Championship? Please if you are not Bama, Clemson or Ohio State you have no chance. You are just buying high expectations with lots of Big Cigars.

6 Likes

Most people don’t figure out that it isn’t all about money until very late.

5 Likes

I am glad to see all the rich folks we have here that tells us it is not all about the money.

Good to know.

Since I don’t have the money I guess I have no need to be envious now.

2 Likes

Don’t be snarky. It’s relative.

1 Like

And find out that the big cigars run the team and not the coach.

Ask Tom Penders.

9 Likes

I bet I’m not the only one here that has turned down higher paying opportunities in favor of long-term security.

I’m just not ambitious enough to risk what I have for what’s behind door number two.

I think it’s a matter of personal preference.

10 Likes

Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered…

3 Likes

…and Ham and Bacon gets eaten!!! Yum, yummy in our tummys! :stuck_out_tongue: :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Sumlin was earning 1.8 million at UH. He goes on to 5 million per year at A&M , then they pay him 10 million in 2018 to go away.

Herman goes from 3 million here to 7 million per year at UT-Austin, probably get paid north of 15 mill to go away.

No one is going to pass up on that kind of cash.

7 Likes

The goal is to become the next Nick Saban, I don’t think anyone want to be fired in less than three or four years

1 Like

Sooo, they were in it for the money…kinda of like prostitution !!

OR…they thought they were better coaches than they turned out to be !!

Probably a little of both !!

What they all had in common was that they didn’t care about UH and were looking to get out as soon as they got here !

5 Likes

On the other hand, I worked for money as well. If I had an offer to more than triple my salary with a high buyout if fired, I would have jumped at it. Hell, I would have jumped with out the buyout.

8 Likes

Mike, you would leave the Coogs for some Mlio s??? :neutral_face:

1 Like

It’s not about caring for UH, it just made sense to leave, both were in their early 40s with young families (could be wrong on this) and were offered opportunities to more than triple their salaries in a 150 mile radius. Wouldn’t blame a man for chasing bread for his family.

2 Likes

OTOH…we don’t know what Fertitta offered Herman.

IIRC…Fertitta said it would not be about $$$$$…

IMHO, Herman was in if for GLORY !!

5 Likes

If I were making $3MM per year coaching at UH, I would have been happy as a clam and would have stayed as long as they would have me. However, I worked in the real world for substantially less than that and would owe it to my family to take a 3 fold increase in salary. It’s just that simple.

3 Likes

Thank you Sir for your honest answer!!! :+1:

There are no guarantees anywhere. A couple of rough seasons and you can be gone even if you are the one that had the success that led to the high expectations.

I don’t fault someone cashing in when they get the chance. This is a tough business and you likely won’t be the hot name for long.

4 Likes

We get them from Power 5 schools so why are we surprised when they want to go back? They need us to make them relevant. They’re smarter now as they make sure they are paid regardless if they win or not. That’s probably the reason some struggle on that level

1 Like