ARE WE DEAD YET?

Basketball…dead. No tourney
Baseball…dead no games scheduled
Football
I know it is 3 months until fall practice starts but according to Dr. Deborah Burtz the presidents Coronavirus Response Team Coordinator (appearing today on Fox) no athletic venue is safe. I am not sufficiently knowedgeable to have an opinion about how long it might be before this crisis passes. I can only hope we only lose basketball, baseball and other spring sports and not football.

Malaria deaths per year 405,000

Car deaths per year 1.25 million

Drowning deaths per year 320,000

Corona Virus deaths so far 9,100

Everyone stay at home, shelter in place, don’ t venture out. Lets take down a world economy. In fact before you venture out lets make sure there are no vehicles, swimming pools or mosquitoes.

7 Likes

This is not a serious response based in logic or facts.

11 Likes

Which of his facts are wrong !!

8 Likes

Football might be canceled this year the way things are going…

Car deaths are normally the result of human error (on the part of the driver or another driver) in conduct if properly performed causes no harm.
Most drowning deaths occur because of human conduct either leaving an unsupervised minor near a pool or boats that are operated without regard to safe operation or caught in unexpected weather conditions.
Usually, people get malaria by being bitten by an infective female Anopheles mosquito. … Because the malaria parasite is found in red blood cells of an infected person, malaria can also be transmitted through blood transfusion, organ transplant, or the shared use of needles or syringes contaminated with blood.
It is not an airborne disease that easily passes between humans.
In Poland, France and other European countries there is a drug normally used in treatment of malaria that has been found extremely effective in treating the Chinese virus. It was first formulated in Germany in the 1930s. Its been around a long time and we have an abundant supply. There are no current patents thus it is cheap to produce. Why are we not using it here?
For me the answer is obvious.

3 Likes

Which of his facts are relevant to trying to keep a pandemic at bay and to help prevent hospital/providers from rationing hospital beds, respirators, test kits and treatment?

They are not doing this just to piss you off!

12 Likes

Go look at Italy if you want to see how bad this can get.

And, there are now over 10K that have died and it has a 4% mortality rate worldwide. It’s closer to 1.5% in the US and that has a lot to do with the fact that we haven’t overloaded our healthcare system yet.

If 1/2 the country gets this, the number of deaths would blow away any number on that list.

12 Likes

I am old and taking this seriously. Regardless of the statistics I do realize people my age and in my condition are much more susceptible than the group partying in Miami this week.
Not saying to go into complete seclusion but you can bet I am keeping my good ear on what President and his staff have to say.
We are in this together and I would love to see everyone of you in the fall! Go Coogs

3 Likes

If we are still in the current mode when football season is scheduled to kick off, we will have an economic meltdown that will make the great depression look like boom times. There is a point in which we just have to buck up and get on with life.

9 Likes

The Spanish Flu infected 27% of the world, killing 3.4% of those who got infected.

If that repeated, which given what we know about how the virus spreads becomes more likely if we act normally and don’t take steps to reduce social contact, you are looking at 70M deaths worldwide.

Or, you can stay home for a month or two and let the virus peter out, and keep the worldwide death toll well under 1M. Maybe under 100K.

I choose life.

17 Likes

This is A&M level of ignorance

13 Likes

They are testing everyone in Iceland. Half of the people testing positive were asymptomatic. If you didn’t know why social distancing is drastically important, now you know.

A vaccine is about a year away.

1 Like

I get the point you’re trying to make but there are people whose loved ones are affected by this. What if your mom or your dad were affected by this? Would you still be posting insensitive messages on here? Let’s give it a rest.

2 Likes

Swift action. Lets hope this works.
Trump announced at a White House press briefing that chloroquine, a drug designed for use in malaria, will be made available to test whether it helps patients recover from coronavirus. He said it was one of a number of antiviral therapies to limit the symptoms of the virus that the administration is trying to get to Americans as quickly as possible.

Let’s put it this way. Italy has been in total lockdown and the number of deaths has been reaching new highs for the past few days.

Yeah chloroquine is beast. It could work for this Coronavirus , but it’s going to itch your butt off.

1 Like

Those kids in Miami are being very foolish.
Yes they are 20 something and Healthy.

They are also drinking, drugging, touching and exploring each other, not getting sleep, and over all mass close contact.

This can’t be a good thing at this time.

Now, don’t get me wrong. I didn’t think it was a good idea in 1982 either. I was probably wrong then.

1 Like

Do we do this every year is my next question?

1 Like

“buck up and get on with life” would result in 10s if not 100s of millions of deaths globally. I think that much loss of life would also be accompanied by a huge economic meltdown. I doubt consumers are going to be in a mood to drive up demand and growth with the spectre of death hanging about and a toll into 8 or 9 digits.

5 Likes