Aresco and ESPN going gangsta on Big12

The AAC apparently wasn’t playing around about being aggressive!

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1420512136208568324?s=19

This has turned into GAME OF THRONES!

17 Likes

cut the dead weight out of AAC and merge with Big 12 or vice versa and be the most interesting conference in college sports. Its not a hard concept and they are all idiots if they don’t do it.

12 Likes

Big power move by ESPN. Who by the way owns ALL the media rights to AAC.

Also gets OU/TU out of GOR early if conference voted to dissolve.

“Tonight we settle all family business” - ESPN to Bowlsby

7 Likes

I really want to know what the bounty was for bagging the remnants of the 12 and saving the mouse hundreds of millions dollars

3 Likes

Oh boy.

1 Like

I wonder who the “3-5” teams were. My guess is TTU, Baylor, Ok state

Great, just when we are about to make an actual POWER move we get called out by a cry baby.

2 Likes

My guess - KU, OSU, TTU, ISU and most likely KSU.

Unless PAC is taking some, then AAC gets KU, KSU, Baylor, ISU and TCU. PAC gets TTU and OSU.

https://twitter.com/BryanDFischer/status/1420518187485982721

12 Likes

Assuming WVU is already a given for the first move to AAC, given the previous relationship with some member schools.

2 Likes

I got some more respect for Aresco now. He knew who pulled the strings and was probably engaged in talks with espn to dismantle the big12.

Well played sir

6 Likes

Big 12 just screwed themselves. I’d like a merger with the conferences like:

Kansas
Iowa St
Kansas St
Oklahoma St
Houston
Cincinnati
Texas Tech
Baylor
TCU
Memphis
UCF
BYU
Boise St
West Virginia (may bail for ACC)
(Space for someone else)
(Space for someone else)

But even if this happened Bowlsby just screwed that league out of a good ESPN contract with his shite. Hmm… if the mouse demanded a sacrifice, he has to go.

2 Likes

I thought the idea of us poaching Big 12 teams was crazy but it actually does make sense if it could work right. ESPN wants the B12 to dissolve so it can more smoothly get OU and UT to the SEC. Also killing the Big 12 harms a Fox property. It makes sense to get a critical mass of B12 teams to leave and pay the AAC enough to make it worth their while.

Let’s hope this comes to fruition. Realistically we’d be in a better conference than Baylor and TCU probably after it would happen.

7 Likes

I respect it if he had significant bounty in the bag. If he’s just being a good soldier, nah.

2 Likes

Good point.

If this was indeed the game Aresco was playing (with some help from the Mouse), you can’t help but wonder if there was some bad blood from the Big 12’s aborted expansion at the expense of the American to serve as… motivation… to sink the Big 12.

6 Likes

Son of a…I haven’t been around here in a little while and decide to come back and check on things here since all this conference realignment mess started again…

I just wanted to say to all my fellow Coogs, GO COOGS!

picks up popcorn

I miss being around here. lol!

9 Likes

Yes…the AAC “assets” are more valuable than the remaining B12 assets.

Forget that UT and OU were in that conference, why…

1. they are gone so they are no longer a factor in future TV viewership
  2. ESPN subsidized UT to stay in the Big12. How? They paid them and all other members around $35 million PLUS ESPN paid UT an extra $15 million a year for the "Longhorn network " a network nobody watched.
    It was legal money laundering…lol

Now with UT making their $50 million plus “legally” in the SEC, ESPN ha no need for the valueless leftovers.
ESPN left with this.

Conference A
A conference anchored by 4 large public schools in large markets (UC, UH, UCF, UM) plus some other intriguing inventory.

Or
Conference B
A conference with a mixture of public schools in small markets or small private schools. The only somewhat storied program is horrible in football (KU).

The argument could be made none are as valuable as the top 4 in the AAC.

The fact that Baylor just won a NC in basketball means squat in a "value analysis "

If the Tampa Bay Rays win the WC this year and the Yankees don’t make the playoffs, that doesn’t mean they are MORE valuable than the Yankees.

They’d have to have a run for 20 years to start to change their national value and thus, Baylor has very little value nationwide.

3 Likes

Funny thing is this is the exact thing that Person was talking about yesterday. Tortuous interference. It exists!

Question is; will the AAC now be a P5 or will espn simply say NOPE and relegate us to the kids table. I suspect the move to P4 and we see no hope for P4 money.