Armoni pursues his NBA dream

Agree.

No doubt he has something NBA teams want because they keep giving him a look.

But he’s an outsider until he proves otherwise. Crossing my fingers in Atlanta.

2 Likes

He needed another year with CKS.

6 Likes

A chance to showcase himself to an NBA team, great work Mr Brooks. Now he just needs to hit his shots.

2 Likes

I always was against players leaving early, I cared more about what they could do for the Coogs than the NBA. I have now gotten used to it, College BB is also a business and if the player can go make his money, he should take the step up. That said, I feel for a kid like AB, who IMO would have benefited from another year in school. If any one is to fault, it is the people who leech onto these kids and fill their heads with visions of the NBA, it seems as though there is a long line of self serving folks out there waiting to get their share of the pie. Wishing Armoni all the best!

4 Likes

At the level the Coogs are playing, the quality of our league, another deep run in the Dance all would have helped him.

Hopefully he will be making decent money where ever he ends up.

2 Likes

I don’t blame him for leaving now if he got some feelers from NBA teams. Hell, it took awhile, but he’s heading to camp with a team and can hopefully catch on.

I think he had basically hit his ceiling here. He’s not a creator which means he had to depend on others to get shots. With the transition from Galen to Dejon, it was likely that he would see less shots since Dejon is more of a scorer while Galen was a pure passer. If you look at last year, when Dejon was on the court, Armoni tended to disappear as he just wasn’t getting the ball as much. He also had two elite defenders in the backcourt with him that helped cover him up on defense.

Armoni will live and die as a professional as a shooter. If he makes shots, he can have a decent career (maybe something like what Troy Daniels has carved out) as the NBA loves guys who can make shots. If he shoots like he did in the summer league, he’ll probably be overseas for most of his professional career.

5 Likes

I tend to agree with that. Unless he was going to become a creator his stock wasn’t going much higher. He is what he is at this point.

3 Likes

On a positive note there are ample opportunities worldwide to play at a high level. In a rare exception to pro sports, basketball offers tremendous opportunity to play the game…if you love it.

3 Likes

This is mostly where I’m at. He definitely wasn’t going to get drafted next year. However, I think the extra year still could have helped him as a guy trying to claw his way to a spot. Once you kind of have gone through that rookie in summer league, then camp opportunity to catch someone’s attention and miss it, it gets a little harder to get back on the wheel, though it definitely can happen. If he isn’t able to get a 2 way from the Hawks or anyone else, another year of strength and conditioning and maybe some incremental improvements in his shooting and defense might have him a little more ready for a full audition next year than he would have been this year.

And of course it would have been nice for him to finish up his degree because the longer you are out, the harder it is to go back.

But I don’t think his leaving early is a catastrophic decision or anything for him at all. And if he does get a 2 way then he’ll probably have made the right decision.

2 Likes

He was a solid rebounder and worked hard.

3 Likes

im probably one of the few who thinks armoni could have gotten drastically better with another year, especially after i had a talk with some guys about it a few months ago…they said armoni was essentially a less expanded version of lou will…i didnt buy it at first as lou will drives. but if you look at how they shoot, preference for floaters, how they move …armoni is lou will but without a crossover…

which is why i think armoni could have really benefited from another year and adding more dribble moves/shiftiness to his arsenal … as is 99.9% when armoni is faced with good defense and he cant shoot over them he is dribbling in 1 direction till he has enough space to do a step back or he is just passing…his handles could have drastically improved in a year (if that was his goal)… he was never going to get drafted, but his ability to impress nba teams would have been way higher for getting a undrafted guaranteed contract …or impressing in a summer league type environment where its me over the team

but its spilled milk now…all we can do is hope for the best and hope he thrives in Atlanta

2 Likes

This is right on spot @pray10 I think in hindsight, if Grimes becomes eligible this season, UH upside is higher than it would of been with Brooks; for the mere fact on what you said. Grimes is a better facilitator and all-around player with a much bigger upside. I think Brooks measure at 6-3 and Grimes is around 6-5 with potential.

1 Like

Maybe he develops like that, but with Dejon, Caleb, Nate, and possibly Grimes on the floor, he wasn’t going to get a lot of opportunities to develop that dribble penetration. I don’t doubt he would have gotten better, but I’m not sure he would help his stock and he’d be a year older.

Don’t get me wrong, I wish he had stayed, but I understand why he didn’t. He’ll land a pro contract somewhere, even if it isn’t in the NBA, so at least he has that.

4 Likes

I don’t disagree with your general premise, but Grimes almost certainly wouldn’t be here had Armoni stayed.

1 Like

Nope. He said it. That’s why is basically a trade off. I’m happy with our current squad once Grimes gets his waiver :innocent:

1 Like

Seems like even the ones who say he should have gone back had his best case scenario as a late 2nd round pick next year assuming he improves and his numbers get better (or at least don’t drop). That would have put him a position where he had to kill in summer league to get any guaranteed money in a contract or be in the exact same situation he is in now.

Yeah, I am still taking his position right now where he will get paid this season and most likely on the G-League roster specifically getting developed to be a pro with his focus 100% on basketball.

3 Likes

I thought grimes was cleared to play? No not yet?

No decision from the NCAA yet

https://twitter.com/MsquareTx254/status/1177553536042852352?s=20
https://twitter.com/ATLHawks/status/1177314648170909709?s=20

3 Likes

Here’s hoping Armoni hangs with the Hawks.

4 Likes