Army Bowl

I’m a gluten for punishment, just watched the Army game again. I can’t get over how embarrassing the Army bowl game was… I know we had significant injuries, I know we had internal coaching issues, I know we didn’t have any depth and the taxi squad defense was playing, but the effort was simply not there.

And out next game is with Oklahoma with a new coaching staff? Remember the last time we played OU in Norman. I hope the effort is there, the coaching staff and players have their work cut out for them to make it competitive on both sides of the ball on national TV.

1 Like

I was there!! It was awful!! You had 4 weeks to prepare the team against a run team. Four weeks to stack the box. In addition, the offensive wunderkind had 4 weeks to score more than 14 points!!

But to punt on the opponents 19 yard line was it…

4 Likes

It was “Applewhiteien” !!

I have been watching Cougar football longer than most of you have even been alive, and I have never left a game early. But, I almost left that darn game at the half; I did not - stayed to the bitter end - but I came as close to leaving early as I have ever done before. I have been trying to forget that game ever since. Why are you reminding me?

4 Likes

The last time UofH played OU in Norman they beat us by 50 points. 63-13 in 2004. Based on the Army bowl game I expect similar results this time around. J Hurts has only lost twice in his college career.

When UofH beat OU at NRG they were coming off a blowout bowl loss and we had just beat Florida State in the Peach bowl.

I don’t expect the same result because they don’t have near as good a defense when we played them up there the last time. Also we have a better offense. But winning is going to be pretty hard if not impossible. We will just have to see what happens.

C’mon man. Based on the Army game? The UH team that shows up in Norman this September will not be the same team that went up against Army. We will have our starting QB back among the many other players that were injured, a real live DC, completely different coaching staff etc etc.
I mean, I’m not saying we’re going to march into Norman and roll over the Sooners on our way to a Natty, but comparing this team to that one is not fair at all. I expect us to be competitive.

8 Likes

Bingo…I dont want to hear of that Army game ever…Applewhite!!!

1 Like

Catching oklahoma in game 1 is the most ideal situation for us.

4 Likes

Well one might Dream, especially after the Basketball team has exceeded expectations!!!

1 Like

I think Applewhite lost that game on purpose simply because he knew that was his last game as UH’s head coach! Think about it for a minute, he knew his tenure as UH’s coach is over once Kendal signed with Florida State! There was no way he would be able to sign a new DC and OC and has any hope of being successful next year, he knew it and the admins knew it! And as a result, he knew the school would go another way and replace him with somebody else.

Now, Applewhite didn’t have to coach his players in a way as to intentionally show them the wrong schemes and techniques in order to qualify as him setting up his players for a loss, if he simply put a lack of effort in his practices when he prepared his players for the game that would qualify as him setting up his team for a loss in the game, in my eyes!

I’ve never seen a team that showed so much lack of effort and so much confusion in a game as I did in that game! The worst part was seeing Applewhite’s reaction to his team being kicked all all over the place! Not one expression that he had an ounce of care that his team was being pummeled in the game!

And then the other team’s coaches, especially the head coach, were so fired up and emotional in the entire game! I mean even when their team was leading by several touchdowns they still went after the referees for more calls to favor them! With Applewhite, he couldn’t care less if the refs make a hundred bad callls in a row against his team or his players simply stood by as the other team ran by them for one touchdown after another! The contrast between Applewhite’s blank expression in his face to the other team’s head coach’s fiery emotion was telling to me!

1 Like

Apple Boy had that same expression on his face for the last 2 years !!

Deer in the headlights !!

1 Like

Lol No way a proven coach that is miles ahead of Applewhite trots a team up there with Spring, Summer, Fall workouts, to lose by 50. This team will NOT be the same, because the coaches we hired on are NOT the same as the previous staff. We won’t even have all of the same players. The PTSD is real!

Watched a rerun of the Louisville game last night, and the Announcers were praising Applewhite as Tom Hermans OC for that game…boy, we had no idea what was about to hit us the following season!

When you have a Greg Ward, and a lot of weapons, it covers a lot of OC inexperience…

4 Likes

I disagree, I think win or lose, the Coogs are going to play better! The thing that concerned me the most are the refs! Are they going to let the Coogs compete or are they going to hamstring the Coogs with calls and lack of calls that are designed to guarantee the Sooners a win?

Sadly, when a team like UH competes against a blue blood like OU it usually has to do so with the refs injecting themselves unfavorably against it!

I put the Army Bowl game in the same box with the Air force bowl, UTSA, and Texas State. As far I know none of them happened. My therapist said my brain refuses to acknowledge the trauma.

4 Likes

I never understood why he was hired. I though he acted like an indoctrinated Longhorn and he gave me the feeling he did not like it here.

1 Like

I agree! And, I hope he is the LAST whorn ever on our payroll!

2 Likes

Army had a damn good team last year. Their only loss was to OU in OT!!!