As a WVU fan I have no bias here

But I can’t see any scenario in which an expanding Pac 12 does not include Houston. If the PAC expands by 2 i see Houston as one of the 2…if by 4, the same, or any othernumber…I thinkHouston is the perfect pair with any one or multiplies of Big 12 schools. I’m telling you that I don’t think Houston fit in the Big 12 2 years ago because you were Texas in a league with tons of Texas…this is going to be different…Houston can bring Texas in a good way to a league that has no Texas of their own and would like some. Of the Texas schools I think Houston is a more beneficial prospect than TTU, Baylor and TCU…The Horny Frogs are a good program but I think that word Christian in their name means they will like Houston better. Now maybe the PAC doesn’t expand, but if they do, then surely the Cougars will be a part of that. Do you think I’m crazy or does this make sense?

21 Likes
2 Likes

When compared to Texas Tech, Houston is the bigger public school, has better academics , sits in a top 4 city in terms of population and top 10 in terms of market size.

Both have endowments over a billion. Houston has more history than TT and both have had recent success in basketball but more recent in football with Houston having made it to and winning a NY6 bowl.

Also, the conference favors big progressive cities…they have schools in Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Seattle.

IF you were going to make a hundreds of million dollar gamble into the Texas market don’t you anchor that gamble around the 3rd largest public school in the state IN Houston or the 4th largest public school in Lubbock?

I think both make it…this is why we are hearing Baylor cry to anyone who will listen. They are NOT PAC worthy.

All it would take to start the falling dominoes is WVU to secure that ACC invitation they believe they have.

6 Likes

You are quite right, WVU fan… If PAC expands, we are definitely in…We just have to hope that they DO expand…
THANKS!

8 Likes

I don’t the Pac 12 expands. If they do UNLV in a 2.2 million city with the best stadium in America will get in.

It’d be great to receive a P5 invite from the PAC-12, but I’ll believe it when I see it.

I agree that we’d be a better candidate than any other Texas school not otherwise headed to the SEC…BUT, I can’t imagine the PAC-12 would reach out that far geographically to find a new member.

The PAC-12 has shown absolutely ZERO indication that it intends to expand. It’ll be the shock of my life if they do expand and extend us an inviation.

3 Likes

Vegas does not have a recruiting base like Houston…yeah market is important but recruiting is huge too.

1 Like

The pac recruits houston quite well and no team in the country needs to play here to tap it. What teams need are good salesmen to seal the deal.

2 Likes

I saw a chart on Texags awhile back breaking down the Texas top 100 or so players from before the A&M move to several years after (pre-covid). There was very little PAC inclusion in where the top players went. Do you have a chart with the numbers going to the PAC teams?

I disagree with the OP. I can easily see if the PAC were to expand that they would not include UH. Not because UH is not deserving, but because there are too many perceptions of reality that people in power (and fans) have that are incorrect. People rarely find facts to support their perceptions even when they are in positions of power.

That said, if the PAC were to expand into Texas and not take UH, they would be a fool.

3 Likes

Just look at the UCLA and Stanford rosters and see how many Texans, and houstonians, are on their teams.

2 Likes

Guessing this means that you do not have a chart or numbers.

PS, I did do some looking. UCLA has 3 from Houston area and 8 from Texas. This is one of the worst schools from the PAC that you could have used for an example of recruiting Texas players. It also does not say whether any are TOP Texas players, which I referenced.

Stanford is a better example for Texas players, but they still have several teams above them at recruiting Texas. I did not look specifically for Houston at most schools, just Texas.

I’m open to changing our name to the University of Devil Worship and Animal Sacrifice if that will help…

3 Likes

Honestly, I’d be down for this with or without a Pac-12 invite.

2 Likes

This may be a different opinion than some of the folks here but I think the B12 Leftovers + best of the AAC is a better option than the PAC12 IF, big if, it would actually come about that way.

14-16 teams…two time zones instead of three with most, if not all, of our division opponents in the Central. Sign me up.

Baylor, ISU, KU, KSU, OSU, TCU, TTech, WVU
+
UH, SMU, Memphis, Cincy, UCF, USF, Temple, Navy

Hellz yes. This could be a stable, money making conference. It’s better than the Pac12 in football and basketball right now. It’s got hella markets covered. It could be better than the ACC in a few years which is basically Clemson and everybody else in football and really good in basketball.

Well, damn…look at those storied basketball programs…its got NC’s, final fours up the ying yang and blue blood. What’s not to love except for the B12 Leftover’s egos? That could be the killer…they think they’re so much better, when they are not…sadly, that though, might prevent it from happening.

3 Likes

That’s better than what UH has now for sure

2 Likes

Thanks for posting. When I was living in Princeton the WVU fans were as dedicated as a fanbase I’ve seen. Hopefully they’ll land in in the ACC with their geographical brethren Pitt and VPI

1 Like

I hope the realignment carousel treats WVU and Houston well this time around…it should if it were a just world.

7 Likes

The worst school in the pac still has a good number of players from texas, without playing here.

you proved my point that schools don’t need to play in texas to recruit texas and Imagine if UCLA becomes a top program again what level of talent they could recruit.

I straight up asked Levine about the draw of playing in Houston for recruiting and he pretty much said it doesn’t matter.

Wow, eight players from Texas. That means they’re getting about 2 players a year from the entire state and one every other year from Houston. That’s really rocking it.

1 Like