AT&T Considers Selling Regional Sports Networks to Slash Debt

Would affect the Astros/Rockets viewership. Sinclair, which just bought the Fox RSN’s, is expected to be extremely interested in adding to their collection.

AT&T Considers Selling Regional Sports Networks to Slash Debt

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-02/at-t-said-to-mull-sale-of-regional-sports-networks-to-slash-debt

AT&T Inc. is weighing a sale of its regional sports networks as part of a plan to cut as much as $8 billion in debt by the end of the year, according to people familiar with the matter.

The four regional networks, which includes rights to teams such as the hockey’s Pittsburgh Penguins, basketball’s Houston Rockets and baseball’s Seattle Mariners, could fetch close to $1 billion, according to the people, who asked not to be identified as the deliberations are private.

I hate to say it, but AT&T Sportsnet is the main reason that I haven’t been able to “cut the cord.”

It seems that neither Hulu, nor any other wireless cable provider, carries it.

And without it, I can’t continue my summertime hobby of watching the Astros nearly every night when I get home from work.

1 Like

FUBO carries it now, but they’re pretty expensive and don’t carry ESPN.

Then I STILL can’t cut the cord!

1 Like

It would be sort of hilarious if Comcast ended up with the Houston regional network again.

Both Bloomberg and the blog John Wall Street — which reported on this story on June 26 — speculated that Sinclair would be the most likely suitor for the AT&T RSNs. My sources agree. But they also are quick to point out that those RSNs are in Comcast markets, which makes it likely that Comcast would at least take meetings to see if a deal can be had.

Its hard for me to feel sorry for a company that had the money to buy Time Warner in the past few years, but now they are crying they don’t have enough money.

1 Like