Basketball Meets Tulsa in American Championship 1st round (L 98-72)

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/030218aaa.html

SCOUTING THE GOLDEN HURRICANE
Tulsa finished the regular season with a 9-20 overall record and a 3-13 mark in American Athletic Conference play, earning the No. 12 seed in The American Championship.

The Golden Hurricane shoots 36.9 percent from the field and 29.0 percent from beyond the 3-point line, leading to 60.5 points per game. Tulsa is allowing opponents to score just 65.5 points per game on 39.7 percent shooting from the field and 30.2 percent from beyond the 3-point line.

Tulsa has a pair of players that average double figures in scoring, including a team-high 13.7 from Shug Dickson. Erika Wakefield ranks second on the squad in points per game with 11.1, while Kendrian Elliot paces the Golden Hurricane on the glass with 5.9 rebounds per game.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/uhcougarwbb/status/970027995846053888

Rough start. Tulsa can’t miss and the Coogs are down 25-12 after 1.

Coogs down by as much as 17 at one point, but pull within 46-36 at half.

Coogs down 73-58 after 3.

Going to need a huge run.

Nope. Coogs get blown out 98-72.

Just one of those nights as Tulsa couldn’t miss.

Have to wait and see if the Coogs will continue on this year.

That was hard to watch, what a uninspired effort. I hope coach Hughey do something different next year , for instance giveDymond Gladney and Tatyana Hill serious minutes from day one, they are better at their respective positions,(point guard & post) than anyone presently on the team. However, i really don’t expect him to do anything different .You knew it was just a matter of time until this team lackadaisical approach was going to catch up with them. Coach go get some size pleaseeeeeeee.

The guard position is not UH’s problem…I know I sound like a broken record, but he had better get out and recruit some bigs who can actually play. But I do agree that tonight was a pathetic performance. Our 20 wins came against less than steller teams…and the AAC, except for UConn, is pretty bad…

What is the coach’s contract situation? Was he given a 4 or 5 year deal by Mack? Because if it is 4, I think they should walk away. If it is 5, they should tell him NCAA or bust next year. Cal has been great at women’s hoops. I wonder if one of those assistants would be interested in the job.

I have a feeling he’s got at least one more year.

He’s returning everyone of note next year and has good recruits coming in so “NCAA or bust” isn’t that tall of an order to ask for

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/w-baskbl/recaps/030318aaa.html

TOP PERFORMERS
Houston: Houston finished the contest with three players in double figures, including a team-high 27 points from Angela Harris on 8-of-16 (50.0 percent) shooting from the field, including a 4-of-8 (50.0 percent) mark from beyond the 3-point line. Jasmyne Harris finished the game with 12 points and a team-high six assists, while Serithia Hawkins added 11 points. Octavia Barnes paced the Cougars on the glass with seven rebounds.

Tulsa: Tulsa had five players reach the double-figure scoring mark and was led by a game-high 28 points from Crystal Polk. Shug Dickson added 22 points, while Alexis Gaulden scored 16, Erika Wakefield added 12 and Kendrian Elliot scored 11. Polk completed the double-double with a game-high 12 rebounds, while Wakefield also had a double-double with 10 assists.

NEWS AND NOTES

The Cougars made six 3-pointers in the contest, giving them 242 on the season and extending the program record, which they broke at Wichita State on Feb. 3. This marks the first time in program history a Houston team has made 200 or more 3-pointers in a season.

Jasmyne Harris finished the contest with 12 points, giving her 609 on the season and moving her to sixth on the Houston single-season points list. Harris is just the sixth player in program history to score 600 points in a season.

Angela Harris connected on four 3-point buckets in the game, giving her 82 makes on the season. Harris became just the fourth student-athlete in program history to reach the 80 3-pointer plateau in a season.

With Harris’ four 3-pointers made, the sophomore now has 128 career triples, moving her into ninth on the all-time list at Houston, passing Roxana Button (125; 2008-12).