Baylor fans Meltdown: worried about 0-24

We offered one of their 2019 commits, Jaylen Ellis, yesterday.

They stole some of ours last year after our coach left and tried to steal almost the entire class. Rhule is basically offering them playing time right now, but their offensive guys may waver after they’ve seen the system they employ and the losses mount up.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly!!

They have (2) 4 star wide outs commited to them at the moment. We should be able to steal one?

Most kids just want to play and be seen; most will go anywhere to get that chance. Remember, these are teenagers spending most of their time playing football, not adults that keep up with the news. I’m fine with taking their recruits as long as their kids want to be here and our coaching staff offers them. I trust our coaching staff to vet these kids and trust the culture around the program to make sure that these kids walk the straight line.

4 Likes

I heard the only reason Baylor got in Big 12 was because the governor at the time was a BU grad. True?

Governor Ann Richards was a Baylor grad and lieutenant governor bob bullock was a tech grad. Both threatened to cut state funding to ut and ATM if tech and Baylor were not included. The rest is history

Also, when was the last time a conference kicked a team out because they sucked? I don’t recall any at least in my adulthood of about 40 years. It will likely take some high level UH supporters in the governor’s office to get UH in to Big 12 or any other P5 conference.

IIRC, Temple was kicked out of the Big East about 10 years ago (due to poor performance); and Bob Bullock also had a law degree from Baylor.

Temple got kicked out of the Big East for losing a lot. When the BIG East was still a BCS Conference a few years ago…

Very interesting about Temple. I never really followed the Big East. Still, do you all really think the Big 12 will kick Baylor out? Who would they bring in? UH? Not if UT, OU, TCU, OSU, and all the other schools that compete with us for recruits have anything to say about it, imo.

The Big 12 will be dead in 5 years so they wouldn’t go to the trouble of trying to kick Baylor out.

1 Like

Forgive my ignorance, but why will the Big 12 die? I don’t follow conference intricacies so I’m not familiar with what their problem is. I know the pundits say they need a conference playoff and 2-4 more teams to do it. Other than that, I don’t know what’s going on with them.

TV contract will expire. OU, OSU and Texas will bail for bigger conferences. Big 12 will die because OU and Texas are the big money makers for them.

This, their tv contract and grant of rights will be up. No body can leave the conference now and take their tv rights with them. The conference probably wont outright die, depends on who all leaves. There is a chance they all stay, but OU is not happy and UT would jump at any better opportunity. Without those two, you dont have enough appeal to still be a power conference. OK State and Kansas would probably have other options as well.

Crap. So those guys and probably TCU will get absorbed by Big 10, SEC, and/or PAC12. Can’t see any of them moving to ACC. So, what shakes out then? AAC maybe picks up K-state, TT, Iowa St, & WV, and dumps ECU, UCONN, Tulane and we take Big 12’s place as Power 5? Just wishful thinking, I guess.

I would think it is more likely we join what is left of the Big 12 along with Cincy, USF, UCF, and maybe SMU. I think TCU would get left behind along with Tech, WV, Iowa St, Kansas St, and Baylor. Who knows what happens by then though, maybe the Big 12 even makes a big move and goes to 16 grabbing some teams in the West like BYU, SDSU, Boise.

Save this for the off-season. Enjoy the team and the season. 1-0

2 Likes

Yea, this is real crystal ball stuff, hard to predict. I liked the BYU/UH idea when the BIG 12 was teasing us with expansion last year. Those coogs are usually consistently good, and sometimes very good, notwithstanding their struggles this year. Not sure what’s going on with them. SDSU is playing well, for sure. Wonder if they can keep it rolling when their coach leaves for a P5 job. Boise, same as BYU, consistently good, sometimes very good. But that blue turf…yikes!

A few things, Ann Richards while A BU grad didn’t actually do anything to get Baylor in. It’s a story that keeps getting rehashed over and over. And it’s been disproven, the main ringleader was Bullock a BU guy he managed to corral the Tech guys into the plans.

TCU is down the line of picks, successful football program, but not really much else small private school with minimal eyes on it. Big 12 free agency pecking order is OU, UT and KU. OSU and TT next as the most likely hangars on to big brother teats. After that there isn’t really any school that is desirable or likely to be picked up. So I would expect an improved AAC with sooner reduced travel costs.

It’s really hard to predict what will happen. My predictions are Texas to the Big10, OU and OSU to SEC if both allowed in, if not then Big10. As for everyone else, they either trickle into other conferences (some into other P5s and some into the AAC), or they band together and add more schools to keep conference alive.

Bold prediction, Texas goes independent because they like to control everything when in a conference. They will definitely not have conference control in the Big10. Not with tOSU, Michigan, Penn State, etc in the conference.