OT: Baylor Scandal(s)

Lost in all the hoopla from Signing Day was this. Something fishy with the timing and the article from last week claiming 52 rapes:

Briles drops libel lawsuit without settlement

Cannon told KWTX that Briles chose to drop the case because he wants to move on with his life and gain some peace for himself and his family. Cannon also said the lawsuit was not about the money. He expressed regret that those affiliated with Baylor would never know the truth, KWTX reported.

Yea I felt the same way. Middle of the week is always best to drop news like this.

Whoa. This could help.

In retrospect maybe it just shifts the blame more on Briles and less on Baylor.

He’s in this up to his ears. Still amazed that some alums/boosters wanted him back here.

Yep, Baylor’s trying to put the blame on the folks they fired to try to show that they’ve cleaned up their act.

The end of that ESPN article tells us where Baylor stands:

With social media reaction already calling for the NCAA to take action against Baylor in light of the new information, Hardin said Baylor should be commended for hiring Pepper Hamilton, releasing the highly critical results of the investigation and firing its head coach at a time when most other colleges confronted with such allegations would just quietly pay off the victims and not investigate further.

“At the end of the day, I’m hoping that the NCAA and others will recognize that instead of punishing Baylor, they ought to be saluted,” he said. “I think they ought to be held up as a model for how to respond.”

Commend us for knowingly allowing this behavior for years, for only releasing the parts of the Pepper Hamilton report that put the onus on the individuals, and then acting like we’re cleaning things up even though we have no oversight and our Title IX folks are resigning and suing us.

Forget that we also went through this in basketball when a coach covered up a murder, or the University knowingly admitting students with less than sterling academic reputations and funneling them into easy classes, or that we’ve had a history of breaking NCAA rules and paying players. Or that our new AD, Mack Rhodes, wrote letters of recommendation for the assistants that left after keeping them on board. Or that we allowed folks to sell #CAB shirts at our football games as well as allowing them to hang banners in the stadium without releasing any information prior to today. We’re changed now.

“I think the inclination is to always try to identify somebody that has standing to do something, and probably OCR is well positioned right now to act on these things,” Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby said. “I know the OCR people have been on [Baylor’s] campus. The conference and NCAA might have steps that are clearer after that process has run its course.”

Google Search Link: Truth doesn't lie, and Baylor regents say Art Briles did - Google Search

There are other examples of players who were doing drugs, selling drugs, pulling a gun on another student, assaulting another student. Briles’ responses via text and e-mail all show he was allowing his players to act above the law. He never pursued proper disciplinary actions against any of them.

https://twitter.com/JimVertuno/status/827362011235352576

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/827378709216710656

This statement is the exact reason that shows how lax Title IX enforcement has been at Baylor. in that position, McCaw is supposed to report the incident to police; he is not a sexual assault counselor. He should know that

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/827607354048905216

So it turns out that the NCAA is investigating Baylor. Big 12 is also unhappy with how info is leaking out (They are either very naive to think this wouldn’t happen or they just didn’t care). Big 12 should be working on plans immediately to boot Baylor.

Sources said NCAA investigators haven’t yet focused on specific allegations of wrongdoing, instead casting a wide net to determine if any NCAA rules might have been violated. The NCAA is also asking whether Baylor players might have been provided improper recruiting inducements and other illegal benefits while playing for the Bears.

https://twitter.com/Mark_Schlabach/status/827684450091810817

http://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesheadlines/2017/02/04/bob-bowlsby-big-12-concerned-continuing-disclosures-baylor-scandal-fallout

“I wouldn’t foreclose on anything,” Bowlsby said. “Our bylaws afford our board some prerogatives.”

Moving into the national side of the news, not just ESPN:

http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/baylor-rocked-wave-wave-ugly-allegations-45259213

“Any rules violated”???
THE ncaa IS A FARCEThey are taking us for fools.
**ETHICS?ETHICS?**Remember how often they try to portray this image of cleanliness.
small12? They have by-laws. I have tried to open the small12 handbook or small12 bylaws but it is not opening up for me. Maybe you will have more luck. I am very curious to read/understand what their bylaws are. Please let me know if you can open these.

This was from Dodd last year. Sorry if you have posted it already.

1 Like

This would be the applicable paragraph. Nothing in here about booting a member, but it also says that they aren’t limited to the types of sanctions they can impose. No matter what, if they vote to boot Baylor, there will be a lawsuit and the Big 12 may not want to open themselves up to that; then again, who knows with this conference.

3.6 Sanction of a Member. The Conference may sanction (“Sanction” and “Sanctioned” and variations thereof) a Member by the af rmative vote of a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors at any meeting of the Directors at which the Director representative(s) of the Member(s) that are the subject of such vote has been given reasonable prior notice and the reasonable opportunity to be present and to be heard. A Supermajority of Disinterested Directors may take such action if, after the Member’s opportunity to be heard, a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors determines that such Member has: (i) violated any provision of these Bylaws or the Rules and other regulations established from time to time by the Board of Directors that govern the Conference or the Grant of Rights Agreement; (ii) engaged in any action or a course of conduct materially adverse to the best interests of the Conference taken as a whole; (iii) taken or omitted to take any other action that could be the basis for Withdrawal as described above if a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors does not elect to deem the action to constitute a deemed Withdrawal at that time; or (iv) otherwise taken any action or omitted to take an action that a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors determines merits Sanctions. In accordance with the preceding sentence, a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors shall, in its sole discretion, be empowered to determine whether any Sanctions are appropriate, the type, extent, and conditions to any Sanctions imposed, and impose such Sanctions on a Member depending, in each case, on factors that a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors deems to be relevant, including but not limited to the severity of the harm to the Conference taken as a whole resulting from the action or inaction set forth in the preceding sentence. Without limiting the foregoing and merely as an illustration of the types of Sanctions that could be considered by a Supermajority of Disinterested Directors are prohibitions on appearance in postseason events or televised events, restrictions on revenue distributions, and limitations on recruiting or scholarships.

https://twitter.com/wacotrib/status/828799456896233472

How can a parent be ok with letting their child attend this school?

1 Like

Baylor’s just gonna Baylor.[

https://twitter.com/Colt_Barber/status/828806074232864768

1 Like

Did Baylor compromised itself by not removing its entire or part of its BOR?
It surely shows to everyone that they think they can swipe this scandal under the rug.
Sorry if this has been mentioned already. Bob Ley, ESPN OTL had a great interview with “Does Baylor deserve the death penalty?” You can find the video interview on today’s espn college football section.
The problem for the ncaa is that we are now in a “non N.F.L. or ncaa football” media coverage. This ongoing scandal will make prime time.