OT: Baylor Scandal(s)

So let me get this right. “When I got to Baylor, we did not drug test” Where did this start and was Baylor drug tested against away opponents? I am asking because any types of illegal drugs would have been detected during ANY tests. The entire small12 should answer to this and the ncaa too.

How Baylor is still in the Big 12 at this point is beyond me.

Well…not really…money talks.

But few readers are likely to purchase to book to read about these characters. Instead, they’ll likely want to know what happened in the athletics department. How could this keep happening? Why was nothing done to stop it? Unfortunately there’s just nothing there. There is a lot of condemnation and broad generalities about the actions of Briles. But there’s just no specificity, and that is surprising given extensive reporting ESPN, Deadspin, and other media outlets have done, not to mention myriad lawsuits which have been filed against Baylor, Briles and the rest.

Briles refused to speak to Lavigne and Schlabach though they did exchange emails with his attorney. Starr and McCaw wouldn’t talk. Lots of people at Baylor wouldn’t talk on the record. The football players wouldn’t talk. Many of the victims and witnesses used pseudonyms. That’s probably wise due to the large number of ongoing lawsuits. But this, and the lack of focus on just what the football team was doing in response makes the book seem lacking and hollow.

1 Like

It’s just too bad that Baylor doesn’t believe – despite the pleas of students, faculty, alumni and donors – that the school’s own healing can come only through transparency. Instead, the board of regents is clearly poised to bring whatever money is required to the table to make all this go away.

She said: ‘It was just this weird mentality at Baylor that I haven’t seen anywhere else’.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.

This lawsuit alleges the student, who Dunn said still attends Baylor and was identified in the suit only as “Jane Doe 11,” was attacked in April while a sophomore attending under two scholarships, one athletic and one need-based. The lawsuit said the student underwent a sexual assault examination by a nurse and the assault was reported to Waco and university police and Baylor’s Title IX office. The person she accused told investigators that, aside from kissing, no sexual activity occurred. Baylor police investigated but filed no charges, the lawsuit states.

When the student was interviewed by a Title IX official, she was asked what she had been wearing at the time of the attack, how easily the clothing could be removed, and what she had to drink and whether it was alcoholic. The university tried to have the student say the alleged assailant may have believed the assault was consensual, the 20-page complaint states.

The experience “directly contradicted any assurance that meaningful change had occurred … despite the university’s repeated boasting of full implementation of the recommendations,” the complaint said.

http://collegefootball.ap.org/article/baylor-settlements-could-signal-trend-more-come

He noted Baylor was recently ordered to hand over documents and findings from an internal investigation to attorneys for 10 women who are still suing the school, and the plaintiffs in the other three lawsuits that are still pending will likely want the same access to details Baylor has fought to keep secret.

“They are going to keep settling,” Werly said. “They have made a very conscientious effort to keep the actual details of what’s happened out of the public eye … That ruling put pressure on Baylor to aggressively settle cases.”

Scott Mitchell: We were very well aware of it and it’s been a long deliberation internally, collecting information, talking to as many people as possible, quite frankly getting the facts about things straightened away. The history is that June Jones and Art Briles have known each other for decades and June was very forthright about what the situation was and the more we contemplated it, deliberated over it – and obviously I spoke to Bob Young about it as well –we just thought it was a very serious situation but we also felt that after talking to dozens of people, people we trust, people we admire, that Art Briles a is a good man that was caught in a very bad situation. Clearly, some serious mistakes were made along the way but we feel strongly that people deserve second chances and that’s what we’ve decided to do with Art Briles.

Briles didn’t last long:

1 Like

Yep, Baylor’s really changed:

https://star-telegram.relaymedia.com/amp/sports/spt-columns-blogs/mac-engel/article170806572.html

A letter from Baylor to Briles helped to convince the Tiger-Cats of the Canadian Football League to hire Briles as their offensive coordinator on Monday.

The letter, obtained by the Star-Telegram, clearly states Baylor’s support of its former coach, and all but clears him from any wrongdoing.

The letter is dated May 23, 2017, months after Briles reached a settlement with the school, and dropped his libel lawsuit against Baylor. The letter is signed by Baylor’s general counsel, Christopher W. Holmes, and addressed directly to “Coach Briles.”

Just when this thread had started moving down a bit:

http://www.statesman.com/news/baylor-president-some-women-make-themselves-victims/IzlcQjrCV5P9a4q5jR1LiL/

The remark came in an email exchange last year between David Garland and a Baylor administrator. The email was obtained by lawyers for 10 women who are suing Baylor on claims the school ignored their allegations.

Garland also said in the email that he had heard a radio interview with an author who chronicled her alcoholism at college, the Waco Tribune-Herald reports . He wrote in the email that the interview “added another perspective for me of what is going on in the heads of some women who may seem willingly to make themselves victims.”

He then cited verses in the New Testament referring to God’s wrath on those who commit sexual sin.

2 Likes

baylor thinks and believe that they are above the law.

Coach Matt Rhule didn’t go into specifics about why Wilson and Blake were no longer with the Bears (0-5), but made a point to say there was “nothing criminal” involved in the decision.

Everything I have read and heard from my Baylor friends is that it was a matter of insubordination and defiance. In the long run, probably a good move. As much as I would love to see them continue to wallow in despair, this will probably actually help in recruiting and build good will with HS coaches.

1 Like

I agree. Rhule is doing the right thing, but will Baylor put up with it.

https://twitter.com/AlexDunlapNFL/status/917771347459223552

https://twitter.com/SicEmSports/status/917421798563700736

https://www.uninterrupted.com/watch/3VceYXfI/j-g

Really glad we didn’t seriously consider bringing back Briles or his son.

1 Like

Scary that some coogfans wanted him back.

Also have to wonder what went on when he was here.

1 Like