OT - Houston Rockets

Looking at the Rockets contract situation:
They are in a better place that I thought.

Only 3 players under big contracts (@$15 million +)after 19-20 season.
Paul, Harden, Capela.

-No reason to think Paul will be awful before his contract is up in 21-22.

-Harden will be @33 when his contract is up in 22-23.
He could still be good.

-Capela will be in his prime before his contract is up in 22-23.

PJ Tucker w 2 seasons left at a good price.

2 Likes

The Laker front office/ownership is a dumpster fire. Lots of high drama in Lala-land next season.

2 Likes

Didn’t take long:

1 Like

Tilman has never met a group of customers like internet Rockets fans. He’s used to customers demanding the best from him.

Rockets fans are perfectly happy being the 3rd or 4th best team in the league every year as long as Harden is on Sportscenter dropping 40 points every night.

And if anyone thinks Durant would get along with Harden better than Paul I disagree. I think Durant would beat the Hell out of Harden before the All Star break.

This package is arguably better than the February package with Kuzma.

I think the Lakers basically stopped at two firsts then (though maybe the Pels could have pried out more if they were really willing to negotiate). So they got an extra first. The big difference though is with the value of this years’ draft pick. Had the Pelicans made the trade last year, the Lakers probably make the playoffs and the expected value of that pick is probably around the 16th or so pick. However, since the trade didn’t happen, the Lakers fell apart and got lucky in the lottery, it’s the 4th pick. Even though this isn’t a great draft after Zion and to a lesser extent, Morant, the 4th pick is probably better for the Pels than Kuzma and the 16th given their timeline to build around Zion now. I like Kuzma, but I think his upside is a bit limited and he only has a couple of cheap years left on his rookie deal now before he’s up for an extension.

Also, forgot about the pick swap in 2023 that could be end up being really valuable.

The picks are set up nicely for NOLA.

https://twitter.com/TimBontemps/status/1140085647543193601

" The Houston Rockets can’t be thrilled that, with the Warriors now in a pickle and the runway clear for the James Harden-Chris Paul duo making their first Finals, they now have to go through an even more talented duo in LeBron and The Brow. Good luck with that, you guys."

The only PRO team I ever felt associated with was the Milwaukee Braves in baseball, Aaron, Spahn, Burdett, Adcock, Matthews

Of course, I was 11 years old !!!

Pro sports suck !

2 Likes

I mean people wanted GSW dethroned, but geeze, could they be in a worse position now? Two max contracts who might sit out the whole year with no money to get scorers in during the interim. Rocket’s now’s your chance.

2 Likes

Lebron and the Brow will not be more fearsome than Golden State. Golden State make a 20 point lead feel like a 1pt lead
A D and Lebron wont have that affect. Houston will be ready for the Lakers

Hey I want to say this one thing: Dispite what experts believe, Golden State isnt finished until it is broken apart

The Lakers have the right idea: Take proven players after they have served their rookie tenures. The Yankees did it with Ruth, Maris, etc. Ball is a second string guard, which every team needs, but not in
exchange for a major star. The strange thing about Ball is that he cannot shoot. How did he get this
far without a coach showing him how to set up for a shot?

1 Like

Answer: His Big Mouth Dad
who think he is better than Jordan
boy, Fathers Day must have been in a uproar for the Ball’s

2 Likes

Seriously. Can you imagine what it was like growing up in that house. Lonzo needs to man up and tell his pops to shut it. What a ridiculous blow hard!

1 Like

99% of NBA players family stay out of their kids business, he is the 1%er

He has the best team. I am not a Kerr fan for a lot of reasons. Let’s see how he does without Durant and Thompson next season.

1 Like

Right. I do think Kerr is good but it’s hard to really quantify how good (or bad) he is given the embarrassment of talent he has had. The Warriors were 39-4 under Luke Walton as interim HC.

1 Like

Don’t discount Portland. They were/are not that far off. With a crumbling GSW and Houston
and unknowns in LA, they might just be the team to beat this upcoming year.

3 Likes

The Chris Paul experiment was doomed to failure. Paul is a leader, but overpaid and often gimpy. Harden isn’t a leader but his skillset requires that he keep the ball in his hands for long stretches.

Paul is used to deciding who scores
what does a guy like that do when his teammate is hogging for 45 inutes a game.

"“There’s no respect at all, on either side,” a source told Yahoo Sports. “They need to get away from one another. Chris doesn’t respect James’ standing in the league, and James doesn’t respect the work Chris has put in to this point.”

I’m fuming. They cant hang in there for 1 more season w Golden State hurting? Lakers much better but not a sure thing.
It’s all in front of this seasons Rockets if they suck it up.