Big 12 & 10 support playoff expansion

Texas AD Chris Del Conte on Playoff expansion: “I think it’s time to look at the exploration of going from 4 to 6 or 8, what that might look like. … It was never going to be if, but when.”

It’s all so amusing!

It’s the Saban mentality for the lack of better words. “Only 4, only P5, and only the conference champion should get in, PERIOD!”

Alabama doesn’t win the SEC or even the west division. “Well…they should take the best team and I think we’re the best team and there should be some circumstances.”

As long as I’m included I like the rules BUT we still have to find a way to keep the G5 out.

3 Likes

I want the playoffs to expand but I also enjoy the B10 being left out and them crying about it.

2 Likes

Interesting…Big12 and B1G both have FOX involved with them.

SEC is strictly ESPN (with CBS involved as well). ACC is also ESPN and I’ve already seen Dabo Swinney come out against expansion.

Be interesting to see what the PAC12 does. PAC12 also has FOX as a partner and could be the tipping point in this discussion.

My guess is that FOX wants a piece of the playoff money, especially since they’ve slimmed down their operations. If PAC12 wants expansion, all that would be needed would be for 2 of the 5 non-power conferences to vote with. If PAC12 decides against, the discussion is dead. PAC12 usually goes along with the B1G.

We want the G5’s to be included in a cfp. There is nothing that indicates that these comments would include a G5 or G5’s. As you all know this is only about money. You are right Patrick. The PAC12 is being left out so they want a piece of the pie. This also invites an Amazon per say to get involved in this. This is not the time for aresco to sell out or make concessions to espn.

1 Like

NOT rocket science or a Sherlock needed to figure this one out …

B1G and Pac12 left OUT OF THE 4 team playoff … maybe one too many times … and the Texas AD is not taking a chance having the Big12 left out should the sooners exit the conf. in the near future …

SEC and ACC in practically every year …

And yes Fox wants in on the action and willing to put up the $$$ to do so …

It would seem EVERYONE wins with this … the NFL playoffs have several networks sharing the $$$ with all the participating teams reaping the rewards … plus the fans enjoying the results and telecast …

I suspect the Pac12 will vote positive in a heart beat …

We need Gov Abbott to stand firm on his “no Big 12 expansion without UH” statement.

3 Likes

If that guy actually stood it would be something.

3 Likes

Mr. Fertitta has his ear.

1 Like

Not sure it matters, but wasn’t the Gov advocating for UH’s inclusion? I think it might have only been twitter, but it was nice to see. However, i may be misremembering.

1 Like

Yes he did

https://twitter.com/GregAbbott_TX/status/756151963947892736

3 Likes

Please no autobids. I don’t want a situation like the NFL where starters sit the last week of the season because they know they are already in the playoffs.

ouch

1 Like

Keep an eye on Big 12 rules. If they change to just a simple majority for expansion… it will give UT and the 3 Texas programs plausible deniability. They can claim they voted against expansion without UH but the other 6 weren’t playing along.

If the Big 12 wants to expand without UH, they will find a way.

1 Like

Gundy is finally making sense.

With conference championship games that cant happen.

I think it’s silly that last year the SEC got 2 team in CFP and this year the ACC got 2 teams in the CFP while several conference champions were left out. Expand.

Does Notre Dame share of the CFP money go to them or the ACC? They are independent for a reason.

This is the first time I’ve heard anyone say the ACC got 2 teams in. I thought Notre Dame was independent. Non-conference affiliated.

I think they were deserving, but I would have no problem with the committee leaving out Notre Dame. They play by a different set of rules with independence, no CCG or conference championship needed. The Michigan win saved them this year.

Found this from Forbes:

Notre Dame receives $2.65 million as a base amount, regardless of whether the Fighting Irish play in a bowl associated with the College Football Playoff.

What’s interesting is that is actually less than what an AAC team makes for making the NY6 bowl as UCF received $4M for making the Peach Bowl last year (or, the conference received that money and divied it up). The Cartel schools make much more.

2 Likes