Big 12 & 10 support playoff expansion

ACC got one team in the CFP. ND is independent.

Most of the P5 Schools are PUBLIC Schools not private enterprises. I am not writing that you are suggesting that they are but for far too long these same Schools have been allowed to perpetuate the P5 system. I am not for federal intervention but something is 100% rotten in Denmark.

I could see it going either way. With regard to bowl access, the current system is more generous to G5 than I was expecting. The ratings system for the playoff is worse than I was expecting.

The lesson is that we have to negotiate for the deal we want in writing (as NY6 access is) and oppose the human element as the arbiter of fairness (which is where we’re getting screwed).

Of course they are public schools but that does not mean they owe every other public school something. If you want to change the system where all public schools are on the same level and have the access to opportunities you’ll have to change everything, how grants are awarded, state funding support etc.

You may try to get an Iowa like case where a state lawmaker who had attended one of the smaller state unis introduced a bill essentially taxing the athletic windfalls that University of Iowa and Iowa State earned because of their conference affiliation, to share with other state universities, of course he was voted down by a huge margin. I doubt such a law would pass in Texas.

That’s not the point. You either play Div I or not. The cfp cartel has broken the entire definition of what Div I means. What legal ground exist that a P even exist at the detriment of the non P conferences? That’s the core of the issue. Again why even have Div I? It makes no sense at all. It seems as if we as fans (U of H or not) act like we accept this like it is a fait accompli. We are not zombies but we sure act like it.something has to be done to get rid of this cartel. I will feel the same when we get into a P5.

1 Like

I am not a lawyer so I don’t know if there is a legal leg for the P to stand on. The problem
remains suppose the college playoffs expand and keep one guaranteed spot for the top ranked G5 team, no matter what it’s ranking, what do you do about media payouts gaps?

There are already two levels of division I football. The p5 defense can be that schools that want to be part of a championship can go to that division. Or band together with other g5’s And do our own championship.

Worse, there’s already talk of the p5 splitting off from the ncaa altogether then we would really be screwed.

No. We won’t be a part of a G5 playoff.

If the P5 splits from for NCAA, they will be considered semi-pro. It will set off a storm of legal action. I don’t see that happening and it doesn’t benefit the P5 (or top 32 teams is another scenario I’ve seen discussed) to throw CFB into chaos

The P5 is defined by an actual NCAA designation, beyond the financial deals each respective conference has made with the networks.

From the Wiki, but I have verified:
‘The conferences that comprise the Power Five are designated by the NCAA, individually by name, as “autonomy conferences”. Section 5.3.2.1 of the NCAA Constitution grants such conferences autonomy “to permit the use of resources to advance the legitimate educational or athletics-related needs of student-athletes and for legislative changes that will otherwise enhance student-athlete well-being”. Eleven areas of autonomy are listed, including Promotional Activities Unrelated to Athletics Participation, Pre-enrollment Expenses and Support, and Financial Aid.[3]

Basically, these five conferences are allowed to create and vote on their own rules for educational and athletic issues. The non-power conferences can vote to follow or not follow these new rules. (edit - I should say they are allowed to do this outside of the NCAA)

Power designation goes beyond money/network contracts. It was a rude awakening for me, because I always thought it was just money

The bottom line is that the ncaa should have:

Never considered it
Never allowed it
Never confirmed it

The very fact that the ncaa Div I still exist today is in direct conflict with the P5 definition that the ncaa has allowed. The ncaa 100% knew what they were doing when they granted this “so called autonomy” Let’s not be fools but the ncaa took every g5 for fools and yes sold out. The ncaa and the P5 obviously knew what they were doing. Creating their own DIV I. Now does the ncaa benefit from federal aid? I don’t have a clue. I am obviously not a lawyer but we all have to admit that this so called “Autonomy”, what is behind it and what it has created goes against the very definition of DIV I football. We should maybe go further as demanding from the ncaa what a clear DIV I football is. This could put to light to the general public what ncaa football is and therefore could maybe be litigated.

2 Likes

What the ncaa did was add a third level to division I.

If you’re going to litigate division I p5 then you’re going to have to explain why the third level shouldn’t be allowed but the other two are just fine. And I don’t see that litigation going far at all.

Again that is not the point. You either play Div I-FBS or not?
One more time. This is from the ncaa about P5.

“autonomy conferences”. Section 5.3.2.1 of the NCAA Constitution grants such conferences autonomy “to permit the use of resources to advance the legitimate educational or athletics-related needs of student-athletes and for legislative changes that will otherwise enhance student-athlete well-being”. Eleven areas of autonomy are listed, including Promotional Activities Unrelated to Athletics Participation, Pre-enrollment Expenses and Support, and Financial Aid.[3]

Enhance student well-being…Enhance student well-being? Who are they kidding? Does anyone in their clear mind believe in this @s? I defy any objective individual to do so.
The ncaa is clearly complicit with the P5’s. The point to all of this is that we will either have a football program in the future or not. That is what’s at stake. We can all imagine how P5’s will profit when G5’s program will disappear one by one. Carl Lewis already mentioned about the P5 influence. What other sport is next? You know the answer.

I will add that it makes very little sense that this has not been already litigated. Yes, the G5 conference Presidents did agree (reluctantly) to the CFP. Were these same individuals “pressured” to accept it? That is another discussion altogether.

Third level being? P5, G5 then FCS? FCS is just a relabeling of Div. 2, correct?

There are no second or third level in Div I FBS. We either play Div I FBS or not. That is the core of the P5 issue. With this current P5 system we actually do not. That is why this should be litigated.

1 Like

No Notre Dame is a part time member of the ACC and play ACC conference football games.

Notre Dame competes as an Independent; however, they play five (5) games a year against opponents from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), which Notre Dame is a member of in all other sports except hockey.

When the current CFP contract comes up for renewal, my bet is that they will expand to 8 regardless of any other structural changes in college football. History points in that direction since the BCS was designed to be a two team playoff and the CFP was an expansion of the BCS with a committee added in and without computer rankings.

I don’t think that 8-team playoff will (or should) include automatic bids for conference champions UNLESS each conference agrees to scrap divisions and play a rotating schedule of conference opponents with, let’s say 3 permanent rivalry matchups. That way, you have the two best teams from each conference matchup in the conference title game each year and will avoid situations like the one in the Big 10 where an average Northwestern team (with 3 losses out of conference) has a shot to sneak in the backdoor by potentially upsetting Ohio State.

I also think it’s likely that the Power 5 conferences break away entirely from the rest of the FBS and form a new division. The NCAA doesn’t have the clout that it used to which leads me to believe that they won’t be able to offer a lot of pushback.

1 Like

What happens if they (the P5) decide to break away from the rest of the FBS and form a new division under the NCAA? Meaning they don’t schedule any FCS, G5 or Independent opponents. Are you going to sue them then?

As long as teams meet criteria they can move from FCS to FBS and it’s not dependent on getting the right conference invite. There is no such objective criteria for G5 to P5 and it’s entirely dependent on subjective conference invitation criteria. We can’t do what Liberty is doing right now in changing status. That’s a distinction and a difference.

1 Like

Not going to happen

I disagree, since we are spitballing. No way does the Power 5 split from the rest of FBS. ‘Clout’ is an ever changing perception