Big 12 Expansion: It's Down to BYU, Houston, and Cincinnati

Memphis has Gus’s Chicken and Wiseacre Brewery. It should be Memphis. :grin:

since its apparent that UH has to meet certain benchmarks to enter the Big 12, here are some I would like to UH ‘demand’ from the Big 12…

1. NOT playing KU or KSU in Kansas in November…they need to schedule their home games against us at NRG stadium…too damn cold…
  2. as far as ISU…see rule #1
    …we’ll add more as we see fit…
1 Like

I still don’t understand why no one seems to bring up a permenant cross division rival (i.e. every team has 1 rival cross-divisonal lines that they play every year, the other 5 cycle through 2 at a time to get 8 conference games a year per team). It would be the ideal solution for B12. Move OU and OSU to the north, but make UT and OU ‘permanent cross-division rivals’ that play every year, B12 still gets its annual flagship game AND they get an opportunity for a UT-OU rematch in CCG, which if there is one rematch they would ever want, you know that the one they want. Without a full round robin schedule, yes, there may not be a rematch, which is best case scenario, but there still about a 50% chance of a rematch.

The other cross division rivals don’t really matter as far as the conference is concerned, likely really, move east west, not north south, this way WV and BYU are not in the same division, but still, they either draw the line in the middle of TX, and split them up, or the move OU/OSU, so they keep that rivalry, the TX schools keep their rivalry, and with a cross-division rival, so do UT/OU, everyone’s (and by everyone, I mean the B12’s coffers) happy.

I like the idea of permanent cross division rivalries. The 1900 miles between Provo and Morgantown Makes an east west alignment seem better.

bring in uh and byu and move OU to the north but protect the annual Ut-OU game. this gives them. thier annual game and each div has one new team.
OU winds up with the softer schedule

or split east -west

OU, uh, tcu, wvu, kstate, Iowa st

osu, ut, tt, bu, byu, ks

the idea of adding permanent cross div rival,games works here too…OU/tx, OU/osu, ks/kst, tcu/bu, uh/tt …uh/bu…should be a permanent game.

we should also add a new annual game the cat fight, vs byu…

Just happen already!

Funny.

And let’s not start avoiding games because of cold weather, those locations you mentioned would be the closest UH football games I could attend on an annual basis.

Last season, the Louisville game was the closest game to me.

:sunglasses:

EECOOG, it is designed to expand in increments of 10,000. If we expand it will be to 50K.

1 Like

The North South divisions UHFan79 put up have most of the power in the south. I am pretty sure that OU & UT would want to be in separate divisions in order to potentially play in championship game. I think an East-West scenario would be the result in order to balance the conference. Let’s face it, geographically it could go several ways, but this looks better to me:
West
UH
UT
TT
TCU
BYU
BU
TBD

East
OU
OSU
KU
KSU
ISU
WV
Cincy

This writer seems a little biased

BYU or Houston: No Cougars Make Sense for the Big 12

http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii/8952-byu-or-houston-no-cougars-make-sense-for-the-big-12.html

Yeah, I stopped reading when all he could attribute to Houston was Enron…

South is way too stacked.

I tend to agree that we would go north if expansion is two schools. Texas schools would be happy to only play us 2 of 4 years. North schools get an extra game in Texas every other year. The two divisions would be reasonably balanced in football.
I think we accept the travel costs as part of the deal.

Works for me.

So is the Western Division of the SEC. That’s neither a bad nor an uncommon situation.

I think zipper divisions with a set rival in the other division would be a strong possibility, but I also think UT and OU would want to avoid playing a second time, so those two along with OK State may be in the same division. I’d guess it would look something like this:

UT-----------------Texas Tech
OU----------------Kansas
OSU--------------Kansas State
Cincinnati-------West Virginia
Iowa State------Houston
Baylor------------TCU

Keep in mind that the B1G has Ohio State and Michigan in the same division, the ACC Florida State and Clemson, and then there’s the SEC West and PAC 12 South.

1 Like

I think that the initial and lowest cost expansion will be adding an upper third deck to the East side. The columns are already in place. While I do not know how many seats this would add, my guess would be about 4 to 5K, certainly not 10K.

That also wouldn’t ruin any views of downtown.

If Big 12 went to 14 in addition to BYU, UH and Cincy, I would choose Memphis for several reasons.

Despite their 0-12, I’d take UCF over Memphis. Way more potential. Better school, better facilities, better everything really.

I’d also note that there are zero P5 schools outside of the USNWR Top 200. Memphis is.

1 Like