Big 12 making a statement on Baylor tomorrow

Probably nothing, and it sounds like they are going to call on Baylor to release the Pepper Hamilton report, but it is interesting that they are doing this now. Wonder if its setting up the possibility of either sanctioning Baylor or even booting them:

https://twitter.com/john_shinn/status/745258273830408192
https://twitter.com/john_shinn/status/745258523248885760

OU’s David Boren: Big 12 will issue statement on Baylor on Wednesday

“Hopefully they’ll get things straightened out down there,” Boren said after Tuesday’s regents meeting in Norman. “The conference is going to make some statements about it, take some actions.

I predict it will be toothless and sterile. Hope I am wrong.

We will announce that we’ll do nothing. Thoughts and prayers to the victims.

–big 12.

Coming on the recent Boren’s no expansion no network statement after ALL his threats these past months then …

"The conference is going to make some statements about it, take some actions."

Few are going to believe Boren any longer …

The FULL Pepper Hamilton report was verbal so we have been informed and whatever was written did not have the “meat” of the investigation.

Interim Prez Garland will probably give them the Readers Digest written version.

AB apparently settled or not and there in lies the dilemma whether this drama is over or not.

Here’s the Big 12 statement. I actually think this is interesting.

Exactly what I thought the NCAA would do eventually, while as a private school, there is limited public accountability (although I still do not understand how the school’s board knows about crimes, and doesn’t report it to the police and actively covers it up is not considered aiding and abetting or accessory after the fact, which I think would allow the state to do something about this despite them being private). But if NCAA thinks there were impermissible benefits (like covering up crimes for the football players, but not for other persons), that they could compel Baylor to provide them information that the general public cannot.

1 Like

To me this is the Bevo 12-2 sending a shot accros RU’s bow. They submitted an initial request and RU ignored them. Now, Bowslby sent them an official written request. If RU ignores them again or doesn’t provide exactly what they’re asking for are the other 9 presidents and the commish going to show they some stones and impose sanctions? Your move, RU!

1 Like

This might get interesting…

Hopefully Baylor tells them it’s none of their business, and get into even more trouble…

1 Like

“To me this is the Bevo 12-2 sending a shot accros RU’s bow. They submitted an initial request and RU ignored them. Now, Bowslby sent them an official written request. If RU ignores them again or doesn’t provide exactly what they’re asking for are the other 9 presidents and the commish going to show they some stones and impose sanctions? Your move, RU!”

Absolutely nothing will happen. The Big 12 has shown the world how toothless and weak it is when making major decisions. Don’t expect that to change. As for the young women involved, their only hope is the court system, and it hasn’t exactly reacted strongly as of today. God bless each and every one of the people involved. For its part Baylor seems much more interested in getting ready for next season than in addressing crimes and cover ups.

I dunno. I find it interesting as well. I don’t think they would have publicly stated they were requesting all those documents if they were just going to take a flier on the situation. BU would be reluctant to give them up. Don’t know if it means they’d consider kicking out Baylor, but that’s some nasty stuff, comparable to Penn State (and the Big 10 discussed kicking out PSU), that’s been going on. And if Baylor sucks again like they did before Briles (and to an extent even if they don’t), they’d probably be the least valuable member of the conference.

1 Like

I think the Big 12 is covering themselves at this point. I still think the worst is yet to come for Baylor when info starts leaking from these Title IX suits. It’s also possible that the TX Attorney General steps in and forces the campus PD to release the info they have under current law. I also think the Big 12 is worrying about NCAA sanctions to one of their Universities; the Pepper Hamilton summary stated that they found other evidence of impropriety other than the sexual assaults and that the football program was operating above the rules.

In any case, I imagine the Big 12 wants to know how bad this is going to get as I doubt they want broadcasts of Big 12 games filled with talk about the latest scandal at Baylor or even pregame shows such as College Gameday reporting the latest information all season long. That’s not just a bad look for Baylor, but a bad look for the Big 12 as a whole.

Rutgers?

Rape U

Actually I thought you were doing a

Kripke imitation from Big Bang …

Raylor University

:wink:

1 Like

I was also confused.

How do y’all not get that? Do I haveto explain Texas S&M? lol u farts :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

At the beginning the Big12 was reluctant to get involved and gave the bears the benefit of the doubt to take care of their own mess.

However it has blossomed beyond what was originally thought … that … and the negative publicity a conference member is receiving from the nat’l press.

I suspect if there is any evidence that any of the BofRs were involved in the coverups/Waco police involvement then that is grounds for the Big12 to give the bears the boot. The whole school’s admin is suspect as corrupt.

Penn St is a state university while Baylor is a private. Privates tend to be less popular and I gather only kept around as fodder for the stronger state schools … UNLESS … they don’t walk a straight line and begin embarrassing the conference as the bears have done.

The Big12 would probably like to keep the bears as fodder like before Briles … so there is probable cause all this inquiry may be for a reason MORE SERIOUS … just a guess …

I think now that the big 12 has TCU they’re ok getting rid of Baylor.

I think Baylor brings nothing to the conference at this point. The Big 12 has always had 4 Texas school. BU’s exit is the perfect opening for UH.

Once the conference is stabilized with UH, the Big 12 can wait to see if the conference network for the ACC falls through. If it does, that could open up the ACC for poaching because the Grant of Rights would fail. You could see schools like Florida State, Miami, Clemson and Georgia Tech to the Big 12 at that point. Which would be totally awesome.

Chuck Carlton talked to Bowlsby who said that Baylor still hasn’t provided any information. Also said that they’ll discuss expansion in July at the next meeting:

https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/748266862224412672
https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/748269341896908800
https://twitter.com/ChuckCarltonDMN/status/748269670780665856