Big 12 player survey: Most want expansion, and Houston's the overwhelming favorite

Too bad the players don’t make the decisions :expressionless:

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2017/07/24/big-12-player-survey-want-expansion-team-overwhelming-favorite-add

The Big 12 isn’t looking to expand right now. But that didn’t stop 75 percent of players surveyed at Big 12 media days from confirming they would, in fact, like to see the conference grow. Their top hope for a membership bid: the Houston Cougars.

“Houston’s a top team now,” one player said.

“Kind of on the come up,” another agreed.

I know that takes away from recruiting so I know coaches don’t want that,” a third reasoned. “That would be another good team to have to make the conference look good.”

3 Likes

Thank you for posting Patrick. Speaking of irony maybe these players are from…the Houston area. Just saying. What is the expression? Players know best.
How can a conference look at itself in the mirror and send one clear message? Which is. WE ARE AFRAID OF U OF H, DON’T LET THEM IN. What a bunch of hypocrites.

3 Likes

UH was the favorite of HALF of those surveyed. That is three times more votes than the second most desired team. That speaks volumes.
The public is the same way. The fact of the matter is if they added the Coogs their ratings would skyrocket.

1 Like

We are not getting into a p5. Let’s be the best G5 consistently in the country.

3 Likes

I wonder what the reasoning is behind the players choice. Is it to play in front of their family, to have a stronger conference or what. There could be some potential recruiting insight there.

1 Like

Of course the players want this. They’re competitors. They want to play against the best. Too bad the same can’t be said of the chicken shit head coaches and university presidents.

8 Likes

The coaches and presidents have millions on the line though. Its all about job security. Why bring in someone that could get you fired.

2 Likes

You have it backwards itcoog. We’re already a P5 program, just stuck in a G5 world. They WILL use that against us. Especially if Major has Herman-like success.

7 Likes

accepting our status as a g5 school means accepting that we are second class. I am not willing to accept that and I will do what I am capable of doing to help us get to p5 which I believe that we will.

8 Likes

It is just a game. Dont forget that. Football does not make us “2nd class”, no matter what conference we are in.

In the past 10 years UH has seen great academic success without being in the big12.

If your UT/TAMU friends and coworkers make you feel some type of way then thats on you for allowing them to do that.

I agree with @CoogFansAdmin to a certain extent. Be the best at everything we try. The P5 and G5 label is only around for tv purposes. UH is “power” in every sense of the word.

4 Likes

I was not referring to academics, I was referring to the fact that we are systematically excluded from a national championship in football and that we are allowed to compete for only one invite to the ny6 bowls while the p5 get 11. I was also referring to the 2mil we get when the k-states, wake forest, and northwesterns of the world receive 30 mil just because of the league they are in.

2 Likes

We are not a class we are a different division. If you went to peach bowl the you know it ain’t a bad deal. Being top G5 got tcu into p5. We just need to do same thing for 5 years in a row. Until then enjoy.

2 Likes

If we are already p5 where is that missing 20 million in tv money? :clown_face:

1 Like

If I told you we would have a new stadium, new practice facility, and flirting with the top 25 each year 6-7 years ago you probably would have said I was crazy. UH’s previous heyday coincided with new facilities in the Dome and Hofheinz. I believe we are about to see another renaissance, but one that is sustainable. At some point, we will be too good to ignore and we aren’t too far off from that now.

4 Likes

Our only goal is to get back to a P5. Mr. Fertitta said it multiple times. Any deals will do. I will be fine for a TCU like invite. Keep in mind that the G5 new year’s eve contract is until 2025. Then what? We can’t keep spending funds without a P5 invite at some point. It is not sustainable. This is critical for our survival.

2 Likes

I agree, but until we do get in to a P5 conference, we absolutely must continue to win and win big. Last year we had the team to go to an NY6 bowl but we all know how that ended up.
This year is a crucial one with a new coach, new staff, along with a new quarterback. We need to win our conference and finish strong and at least be in a position to go to another NY6 bowl.
Winning has to be our goal because it has been proven for so many years that fans in Houston will not support a mediocre team…

3 Likes

6 years ago was 2011. The stadium and basketball arena were already in the works.

1 Like

Of course the B12 players want to play the team that destroyed their Champion. If they did not, they should just go play cards.

3 Likes

Oh, man… I’d love it if one day we could stick it to them by joining some other Major. I’m hoping the farmers continue to flounder and this gives the sec a moment to pause. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or dominoes. Great point Corinthcoog.

1 Like