Big 12 vs the mouse

ACC probably.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/1420512136208568324?s=21

5 Likes

I would think West Virginia doesn’t need to be lured by ESPN to leave the Big 12.

I think WV would be doing the calling (if they haven’t already) to the ACC all on their own.

It’s clearly an AAC move that ESPN is pushing.

5 Likes

The nerve of the big 12. Now I see why horn loved it there so much; big 12 officials overestimate their actual worth and are just as pretentious as horn.

ESPN looking at the big 12:

8 Likes

If the BigXII has hard proof of interference, this could be a significant lawsuit, or am I wrong? (for our local legal experts)

Edit: ESPN would save UT and OU from paying exit fees, reduce the payouts to current BigXII members they deem worthy of the AAC by $30M/school ($7M from $37M), and they would leave the rest of the conference for dead. That is some vicious, nasty business. I don’t like a lot of the institutions in the BigXII, but damn ESPN is acting like a straight hitman. Let me ask this - does anyone want a network to wield this type of control? I know I don’t.

No more discussion of the BIG12 conference in the ESPN family of networks including ABC ?. Complete blackout ?

Could be, but ESPN will win this if it ever got there.

2 Likes

It was pretty clear that ESPN was involved in killing the Big East, and they got away with it, encouraging them to do it again now.

I promise you people also feared/hated ESPN back then as well, particularly the teams that got left behind after the Big East’s murder.

Who knows what’ll happen this time, but I’d put my money on the mouse.

My ONLY loyalty in college football is what’s best for the University of Houston.

If that means dealing with ESPN, so be it.

15 Likes

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1420512706529013764?s=20

5 Likes

Another thought… I wonder if this is the price ESPN put to the AAC to get an autobid to a 12-team playoff. If you want it Aresco, you take these schools form the BigXII, maybe we give you a little bump in your payment to $10M/school, and you get an autobid. This is a dirty business. ESPN saves hundreds of millions, keeps the undesirable schools down, and walks away making everyone kiss the ring.

10 Likes

This ^^^^

7 Likes

Cary,

I don’t doubt your analysis one bit, it makes perfect sense.

All of this was clearly thought out and well planned, well before the expansion of the CFP ™ (trademark ESPN) was announced.

ESPN is playing chess while the Big 12 plays checkers.

2 Likes

Translation… It’s 100% true and we will f’in do it again

5 Likes

I would say, if true, the ESPN moves are unethical as f***

But are they illegal?

1 Like

I’ll be honest that question is way beyond my paygrade

It’s uncharted territory for sure.

But the reality is this: does a dead (dying) conference take THE MOUSE to court and expect to outlast them (much less win).

As an attorney, I can sadly say that is often (but not always) the reality of lawsuits between substantially unequal parties.

2 Likes

These really are wild times.

Someone really needs to take the Godfather puppet strings logo and replace the hand with the Disney logo and have the conference logos on the end of the strings.

2 Likes

Dodd says they conspired, not attempted to conspire, so an announcement may be imminent.

BIG12 wouldn’t be having this public fight if they are not in dire straits. Again pure speculation.

1 Like

Don’t write anything down. Never allow a recording to be made. No witnesses.

—Spying for Dummies

2 Likes