BIG playing conference only

Interesting… Big Ten to play conference-only football schedule for 2020 season amid COVID-19 pandemic - CBSSports.com

What’s the reasoning? They still have to play, less games is less contact/exposure?

Budget, travel distance comes into play!

1 Like

I imagine it’s an intermediary step to cancelling the season. Next will be cancelling cross-division games, then redoing the schedule to create bus leagues, then postponing to spring, and finally cancellation.

3 Likes

Agreed, it’s an intermediary step and is kind of worthless for the most part I think.

I know that Central Michigan (one of my grad school alma maters) won’t be happy about having to cancel their big “pay day” games against Nebraska and Northwestern.

FWIW, another of my grad school alma maters (Illinois) is already posting a conference only schedule on their official website, so it looks as though this “conference only” B1G schedule is a done deal.

1 Like

The worth is in a frog-in-a-pot effect - this way an AD can tick off the boosters that want football regardless a little at a time with these moves and they won’t rebel, cancel the season now and those ADs would be fired in 24 hours.

1 Like

https://twitter.com/NicoleAuerbach/status/1281317968849309696?s=20

Looks like the ACC is going to follow

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/1281319748341506065?s=20

https://twitter.com/TIM_MAYsports/status/1281318467069714433?s=20

BYU is screwed if everyone goes to conference only.

5 Likes

For that matter, so is Notre Dame (to a large degree), and certainly Army.

Both play independent schedules.

Notre Dame will benefit by getting a good number of ACC games, but what about USC and some of their other traditional rivalries?

As for Army…gee…their whole schedule is pretty much screwed if everyone goes to conference only.

Query: if UH DOESN’T go to conference only, and has to give up one of its non-conference games to a school that does, then could we possibly add non-conference games with Notre Dame, BYU, or Army?

IT COULD OPEN UP POSSIBILITIES!!!

2 Likes

I like how you are thinking. ND v Houston, yes I can see this. By the way if UT and A&M want a local non conference game…

UH already plays BYU

2 Likes

Just checked Notre Dame’s schedule.

They are definitely going to need an opponent to replace Wisconsin (B1G) on 10/3.

They may need replacements for USC on 11/28, and Stanford on 10/10 if the Pac-12 goes to conference only. If the SEC follows suit, then they’ll need a replacement for Arkansas on 9/12.

Ah, got it.

Still though.

If we have to drop Washington State on 9/12…then how about NOTRE DAME as a replacement!!!

3 Likes

I guess you all heard the news that Marijuana might help with the COVID.

Or perhaps you were all always smoking.

We are not picking up UT, A&M or ND.

5 Likes

Why not ND?

They are going to need games, and we might need some as well!

Hell, I’m sure we’d agree to play up there if the need be!

1 Like

And get embarrassed again on National TV? For the money yes I guess but we are not competitively ready for ND after a 4-8 season, this ain’t 2015-2016 lol

3 Likes

UH plays BYU as an away game this year