Big Ten Proposes 1-Time Transfer Exemption for All Athletes

This is interesting and seems like how things should be. I can’t believe someone in charge of college athletics is being proactive.

The Big Ten conference has taken a new step to ease restrictions on athletes, submitting a proposal in October that would allow players to transfer schools once without being forced to sit out a season.

According to Dennis Dodd of CBS Sports, the new rule would cover all sports and could take effect as soon as 2021.

Per Dodd, the conference introduced the idea in October before the NCAA placed a moratorium on transfer-related proposals for the 2019-20 legislative calendar. Currently, only athletes in men’s basketball, women’s basketball, baseball, hockey and football are required to sit for a season if they were to transfer. All other NCAA sports allow a one-time transfer with immediate eligibility.

If adopted, players in all sports would have a five-year window to take advantage of the one-time transfer without penalty. Under existing regulations, only graduate transfers are able to move to a new school without sitting out a season before playing.

2 Likes

I can only imagine a G5 school with a hot coach and a star player. Half the commentary would be about where each is going the next season.

5 Likes

Personally I think this is a bad idea, but the NCAA would probably love not dealing with all the waivers.

3 Likes

I assume this could be a NCAA rule. All schools that stack 4 and 5 stars deep and don’t play them much like Alabama and Clemson, should be worried.

7 Likes

If coaches can run off and leave, players should be able to go wherever without penalty.

11 Likes

The NCAA always stresses that athletes should not have benefits that all students don’t have. Why don’t they have the same priviledges that all students have, such as being able to transfer to other schools whenever they wish and being able to hold jobs.

3 Likes

It’s even not fair among NCAA sports. Some sports let you transfer with immediate eligibility and some will have you sit one year. SMH

1 Like

“If coaches can run off and leave, players should be able to go wherever without penalty.”

Especially when coaches are paid to do their jobs and the players are simply college kids deciding what to do with their lives and many of them have trouble deciding which school to go to.

To hold kids to their decisions much more strickly than coaches who are professionals being paid tens of millions of dollars is a complete joke and outrageous hypocrisy!

1 Like

Because these students are on athletic scholarships, and footballl programs only have 25 scholarships per year to hand out. A situation like UH losing a head coach would result in mass exodus on top of other normal complications.

2 Likes

I get this strange feeling that college sports is about to go haywire.

6 Likes

I wonder how long it would take before you see guys get together to form a “super team”?

3 Likes

Yes it’s going to be strange because we are not use to many of the proposed ideas but like everything else, we will get use to it.

Agree!
Students should be able to go wherever they like without penalty.

1 Like

This would create a mess.

6 Likes

These are the main revenue sports.

“I wonder how long it would take before you see guys get together to form a ‘super team’”
——————————
That is the thing I hate about the NBA the most!

2 Likes

Uh, there are already super teams. Alabama, LSU, Clemson who signed six 5 star recruits, Ohio State and a few others. These are super teams compared to the rest of the schools.

You may not like the NBA because of their super teams but fans of those teams love it.

I would love for UH to have a super team.:man_superhero:

3 Likes

We already have super teams. They typically reside in the SEC these days.

1 Like

And imagine how lopsided it will be once a guy like Saban can recruit proven college players. Only a handful of teams have a legitimate shot at a championship. He could pull just about any third year stud player he wanted selling that.

Teams like UH survive by developing those under the radar guys. If they can leave as soon as they become great players people will be losing years off their lives from the added blood pressure.

2 Likes

@Ron1102

You are spitting :fire: this morning and on point!

Preach brother Preach!