Biggest AAC worry

Big12 see no value in Memphis, see three years ago…

I think it’s much more likely KU goes to the Big 10 with either OU our Texas.

Texas goes if they want the academics and value. OU goes for value and they play way nicer with other kids.

Never gonna happen.

My guess is that if you take half (or more) of the Big 12 and put it with the top of the AAC, it would retain a degree of status that we presently lack. Our current conference had a real tipping point as soon as WVU left (solidified when Louisville did). That tipping point is less likely to occur here.

I’m honestly more worried that the Big 12 will get raided and we won’t be a part of the Big 12’s raid of the AAC because they think they’re still set in Texas even without UT.

1 Like

If texas leaves, the Big 12 can kiss the southern half of the state goodbye. Baylor, TCU, and Tech (if they don’t get bundled with texas) are not enough to carry the state.

1 Like

There are disincentives for Texas or Oklahoma to leave the Big 12 especially if the CFP expands to 8, which I believe will happen. Texas will never be the first to leave the Big 12 because they can’t take LHN with them. ESPN overpaid for LHN on purpose in 2011 to keep Texas right where it was: in the Big 12 and a Tier 1 property of ABC/ESPN. None of the other P5 leagues will allow a school-owned network in their conference.

If you are the administration at OU, you have the seventh highest total revenue in college athletics (among pulic institutions). Can you make more in TV money in the Big 10 or SEC? Maybe a few million more. Are you going to make the CFP as a member of either of those leagues as often as you have in the Big 12? Very doubtful. And another hurdle to OU leaving would be seperation from Okie State. No conference with a network is going to add two schools with mediocre academic profiles in a small population state like Oklahoma. Just look at what happened when OU-OKie State tried sending feelers to the PAC 12 in 2011. They were rebuffed pretty quickly. So… OU would probably decide that the best place to for them would still be in the Big 12.

2 Likes

Too bad it’s not 2024 already so we would know how conference expansion turned out, but I would bet my 401k that UT and OU are not leaving the B12. UT athletics bring in more money than any school in the country other than A&M.

Ditto to your post Gadfly.

OU is G O N E…they can pick from B1G or SEC…they are NOT going to stay in Big 12…the SEC could not add them and okie state fast enough…and Kansas or Texas would be their partner for the B1G…PAC rejected them because PACs initial purpose was inroads into Texas with Texas and aggie, along with the okie schools and that fell through…SEC already HAS a Texas bellcow in aggie.and B1G would like to add OU and Texas both, if they can…
OU and Texas REFUSE to extend big 12 GOR for a reason…THEY ARE LEAVING! Every action they have or have not taken the last 4 or 5 years confirms it…

So fast that years after adding Missouri and atm OU and OSU are still at the starting line waiting like wallflowers.

The B1G is NOT going to deal with the LHN and I can’t see UT giving it up. Easy $15M a year for UT which doesn’t expire until well after 2024.

Well, how much money does Ohio State or Michigan make from their Big Network 3rd Tier rights compared to what UT gets from the Longhorn network?

I doubt it’s $15M per year.

And how much federal funding does Ohio State and Michigan get for collaborative federal research programs as a part of the Big?

OU can probably get in to the SEC whenever it wants. Oklahoma State would be the real sticking point.

When the earth starts to rotate from east to west and thus the sun “rises” in the west, then the PAC12 will dominate the headlines and east coast will suffer.

Of course, all media would have to relocate. ESPN would be a perfect fit in San Francisco.

1 Like

What market can West Virginia bring with a population that is approximately 1/4 of the Houston metro? You think all of the east coast states surrounding West Virginia actually care about the University of West Virginia? I lived in Maryland for many years, nobody there cared about West Virginia! Most people think of the state as home to country hicks!

West Virginia produces too few football talents to open any kind of market for football talents or fan base of value to the Big 12-2! West Virginia is a taker of football talents, not a giver!

The only reason the Big 12-2 took W. Virginia over UH is because all of the schools in the Big 12-2 (UT included) were scared as heck that if they let UH into the Big 12-2 then UH would be too much of a force to be reckoned with! They were afraid UH would take many of the top recruits in the Houston metro and probably in some other surrounding areas as well!

Many of the Big 12-2 former and present coaches and administrators even said so themselves! They went out of their way to warn their schools to make sure to not allow UH in or else they would have to face a big cat on a level playing field without all the advantages of bigger revenues and media exposure that they were enjoying over UH!

I read somewhere a Big 12-2 official said that every time they did a study to find the best qualified candidate to join the Big 12-2 UH actually came in as #1! But the fear of UH being too much of a threat to UT and OU was too great for those two decision-makers to take a chance on and so they opted for W. Virginia since they felt that that school was a much lesser threat to the two top dogs! This was especially true after they saw what UH did to Florida State, Louisville, and OU! The mindsets of these schools were: “If they could whoop the asses of top 10 Power 5 schools as a G5 school, imagine what they could do if they were in the same position as us as a Power 5 school!”

4 Likes

Just like the UH vs OU game. Any UH vs AM or UT game would be epic for fans of football.

1 Like

Yeah, that explains why UH whipped Florida State, Louisville, and OU as a G5, right? Are you saying UH would be at an even greater disadvantage as a Power 5 to compete against these other Power 5? If UH whipped their asses as a G5, what makes you think it can’t as a Power 5? Heck, it only took Herman 1 year to whip their asses! — and that was while we were still a G5 at that!

4 Likes

We gave Oregon and Miami and South Carolina all they wanted when we were in cusa. Had Miami beat too.

I think what he’s saying is that UH wouldn’t have the luxury of the opposing team overlooking them on the schedule. Put another way, UH wouldn’t be able to play the “our opponents disrespect us” card.

Look at what happened when TCU got called up to join the Big 12 from the Mountain West. Their winning percentage dropped from 88% in seven season of MWC football to 64% in seven seasons of Big 12 membership.