Biggest Issue today

106 yards rushing.

If that does not tell you we have a weak o-line nothing will.

2 Likes

UCONN loaded the line and dared us to beat them through the air. With King gone, I’m guessing that’s what we will see the rest of the season. QBs are going to have to hit throws and WRs are going to have to make catches.

13 Likes

Agree with Patrick we had no passing game. If you put 11 in the box even UCONN can stop the run. The biggest issue today was the best available QB didn’t play QB much.

4 Likes

Oline is not weak. Effort was. They had to deal with a numbers disadvantage the majority of the game. Like Pray mentioned, we need the passing game more than anything now.

1 Like

I think we do much better with a healthy Tune
and regardless I can’t understand why we don’t have the ability to pass the ball down the field 10 to 15 yards
plus young Holgerson really felt the pressure from the UConn defense
I was thinking he needed to throw some quick passes

4 Likes

Not only did we look much better with Smith as QB but the play calling looked predictable. Perhaps this was due to an experienced QB running the offense but if Holgerson can’t make the throws then we’re probably better off running an option style offense with Smith.

4 Likes

I mentioned it another thread, UConn gave every one the blueprint to absolutely shut this team down for the rest of the year - sell out against the run. It will be tough sledding the rest of the season.

1 Like

Tune was not playing. If he was the offense would of looked better. UCONN did not fear the pass from Holgs and Smith and loaded the box. If Tune plays it opens up the running game by the pass threat.

3 Likes

Coaches are more stubborn than message board posters.
I actually thought we might lose this game. I just don’t think we’re that good this year.

But I go back to my original comment. 106 yards rushing. Regardless of the why
its a proven loser statistically. That type of rushing output gets you beat.

To be honest, I’m astonished we won against anybody with that statistic.

2 Likes

Yep, they were loading the box with the intention of forcing our inexperienced QB’s to best them. It almost worked. What bothers me is the unimaginative plays drawn up by our OC/HC given the average personnel. When CDH was hired I thought the offense would resemble what we ran when he was the OC at UH. Now I can see those days are gone.

I don’t think you’ll see anything like that until we get receivers in that can catch, run routes, seperate from the corner, etc.

DH has never met anything he hates less than a receiver that won’t catch.

3 Likes

Hence, the “I can’t f***king coach this sht!” outburst when our receiver dropped an easy pass.

8 Likes

Different story if/when Tune comes back.

2 Likes

Based on what I saw we couldn’t beat any of the Texas teams I am watching on TV today.

1 Like

Tune was not playing. UCONN loaded the box because they did not respect the pass by Holgs and Smith for good reason. If Tune had played the offense would of been more open because UCONN woudl of had to respect the pass.

1 Like

Biggest Issue today Too many negative Nancy’s on Coogfans . . . . . Some have a glass half full, some have a glass half empty . . . . . too many have spent the day trying to destroy their glass with a large hammer . . . . .

8 Likes

We have 3 backups starting on the O-line. Plus the stacked box. If Tune plays vs SMU, the passing game will be better and the run game, by extension. Problem with SMU is our defense. If Tune plays, maybe we score 30-ish and get beat by 21. If Tune doesn’t play, we score maybe 10 or so.

1 Like

We won because UConn is probably the worst team in division 1. With a true freshman quarterback and receivers who could not catch a cold, never mind a football, we were fortunate to be playing such a god-awful team. SMU will beat this bunch by as many points as possible. It’s going to get ugly(er).

1 Like

I’m just saying recruit nothing but O-line for the next three years. You’re 6-3 and 295
here’s your scholarship. When you finally get you crew start converting those huskies to defensive line, then cornerback, then safety. And when you fill those make those fat boys your receivers, kickers, punt returners, and split backs. If you have any left over put them at QB.

I left out linebacker
get some 300 pounders from the transfer portal!

It’s time to embrace fatness!

1 Like

No one is being negative. The coach threw in the towel on this season. This is a jv squad, left to all but scrimmage this season while the ‘good’ players are red shirted. In military terms, the players on the team are covering the coaches’ retreat. Players on the team are making sacrifices while coach Rogain feigns frustration on the sideline. How would anyone like to be a senior on this team? Dana II earns every bit of criticism he receives along with a big fat paycheck. Fired for 8-3? How about 3-8?

1 Like