Biggest message from Tilman tonight... We're under a Microscope

I think his main point is that we don’t have anymore time to impress them…

They will be watching, and a decision will likely be made before October 1st.

If we can fill our stadium up vs Lamar, it helps DRAMATICALLY…

If we can’t fill our stadium up for Lamar, it gives some of the fence-riding votes to say “See… they don’t have fan support.”

WE have to do whatever WE can… invite your friends, family, coworker… It’s going to take some work, but WE can get it done. (again, if we beat Oklahoma, this becomes a no-brainer sellout)

“If we beat Oklahoma, this becomes a no-brainer sellout”. I hope you’re right but as a season ticket holder I’ve seen way too many empty seats. Even for the AAC Championship game last season, it wasn’t a sellout. Close but there were empty seats.

I buy my tickets, I donate, I tailgate…nothing more I can do for attendance.

Wake me up when we’re in a new conference. Should be a short nap.

6 Likes

I just looked at Cincinnati and BYU’s websites and available tickets for their respective first few games. I feel we’re in a pretty good position from the ticket/attendance perspective.

Kickoff was 6:30.

The kick off time doesn’t matter in my opinion when you are wanting a sellout vs Lamar. That game won’t sellout and the announced attendance will be more than it looks. A win against OU will help but I don’t see a sellout for Lamar unless they will have a press conference at halftime to announce the Big XII’s decision…then it might be close.

A good crowd [32k to 34k] is my best case scenario

Kick off time absolutely makes a difference… With an 11am kickoff, you lose a massive portion of your Saturday. You don’t with a 6:30pm or 7pm kick off. A lot of the more casual fans(and even some season ticket holders) are willing to “lose” their Saturday to watch UH play OU. They won’t be so fired up for Lamar, especially if they have to drive a ways to get here. For instance, I’m having to pass on a short weekend trip that I really wanted to take in order to go to the Lamar game. That weekend trip would have had me back in town by 2:00pm on Saturday–plenty of time to get to TDECU for a 6pm kickoff. That’s not an option for me with an 11am kickoff. Now, I don’t know if it’s the difference between sell out and non-sell out. But I 100% believe there would be a much larger crowd for that game if it weren’t at 11am.

Why are we playing Lamar so early again? This game is on ESPN 3… This would be the PERFECT game for the 6pm kickoff and the early kickoff will likely be the reason for low 30s vs upper 30s in attendance.

Don’t disagree that different kick off times impact groups of fans differently. [Kids sports, work schedules, travel plans, etc. ] But I don’t think any kick off time would equate to a sellout for this one.

Assuming a 0- or 1-loss UH team, the best chances of sellout after OU are:

1. Louisville
  2. Tulsa [hopefully a resurgent Tulsa team and on the heels of getting into the Big XII for 2017]

I hope I am wrong. I do expect better crowds this year

Best guess is that we play a big conference road game at Cincinnati the next Thursday,and the team gets six or seven additional hours of recovery time.

How much control do we actually exercise over televised game times? I would think even if it’s an ESPN3 game, we play whenever ESPN tells us to play. Can’t really blame them for shoving this not-very-marquee-matchup into a not-very-marquee-time slot.

It’s simple y’all we need to invite our friends, families, co-workers, and heck all the good people of Houston to tailgate with us. Who can deny we can tailgate, cook BBQ, and have a hell of a time. Since you made it out here, let’s go watch this awesome team play football!

1 Like

Part recovery and part coaches want the extra time to break down video. Short week and have to travel means team needs all the hours it can get.

Cincy may be the most difficult conference game we have this year.

1 Like