Blocking on the menu for UH receivers

If you really want to impress Carrier, you must block.

“To me, that’s what separates receivers from being average,” Carrier said Wednesday. “Everybody can run routes and catch balls out there. What separates you from every other receiver in the nation is blocking.”

The selfless commitment to blocking has been a work in progress. Carrier said the Cougars’ talented receiver corps spent the spring and preseason camp “breaking bad habits.”

“Trying to get them to do it your way on a consistent basis has been the hardest thing,” Carrier said. “The talent is there. The right way of doing things is still in the process — adopting that mindset and learning what is demanded.”

10 Likes

I am glad to hear the focus on blocking. I recall (was it Castile?) putting a Rice DB into the hedges during a game at Robertson.

5 Likes

If I remember correctly when CDH ran our O, our receivers were very good blockers. Even the “little” guys blocked, and when they weren’t actually blocking, they at least got in the dbacks’ way so no tackle could be made.

7 Likes

That’s correct. Hogerson always put an emphasis on blocking to spring loose the speedy WR’s.

6 Likes

When TC was at WVU, I watched all the games and critiqued WR play. I sent him a text after the BYU game, “Your WR’s block like girls”. He replied “They are girls”. By year 2 they were blocking animals. One player got a penalty for roughness when he carried the block way out of bounds

9 Likes

So YOU are responsible for the blocking…we now know who to blame when negative plays happen as a result…lol…j/k Coach!!!

4 Likes

Yes, I am.

Those WRs in WVU were a mess when he got there. Every WR that left the program while TC was there made it to a NFL camp. The kid can coach. He was trained by the best, Jason Phillips.

5 Likes

Way to go coach!!!
I was cheering TC. Lol. Great story CV…lol

2 Likes

For all the despicable actions Coach ‘Judas’ enacted he was a proponent of WRs blocking. He even pointed out WRs needed to block when they weren’t targeted. So in 2 years we lost that discipline which now is the problem for FSU to deal with.

I year. You know one thing lacking in a Briles offense…discipline

4 Likes

Was Holgerson OC when LJCastille played here?

I remember that guy used to make some DEVASTATING downfield blocks as a WR.

2 Likes

So…will we be ready for Oklahoma? Holgerson said in an interview last week that we won’t know who they are until they hit the field and now this. Should this be a cause for concern or is that normal?

1 Like

I believe he was. I remember the game winning touchdown pass in the 2009 CUSA championship game slipping through his hands.

1 Like

There’s a reason we are a 20+ point underdog

3 Likes

I just don’t want to get embarrassed in primetime.

2 Likes

I don’t want an embarrassing loss either. Coworkers keep reminding me what happened last time UH played in Norman.

2 Likes

Did you remind your coworkers what happen the last time OU play us?

9 Likes

Lol…I did. But was a neutral site game. In Norman it’s a dif situation and CDH is 0-7 against OU.

1 Like

Dana has never beat OU? Let’s go win this game and make history. Pretty sure Herman had never beaten OU as a head coach either, until he did.

1 Like

Herman beat OU while at UH and went to Austin and had their butts handed to them the following season.

1 Like