BOOM! Coogs land commitment from '19 Elsik DE Rason Williams II (Update: Released from NLI)

Before giving them props, lets make sure they fill the scholly with someone better or a bigger need. As of this moment we only have losses. Bird in hand is better than two in the bush. It is possible staff knows we will get some others, but also possible they are overconfident. We’ll know after the next month.

2 Likes

Ha Ha Ha! Please name a year when UH was not able to fill our available scholarships. There are always lots of prospects ready, willing and able to accept a scholarship offer. And so it is always up to the coaching staff to do the requisite leg work, build personal relationships and choose to make such offers wisely.

I always think back to when we picked up Bryce Beall and Marcus McGraw late one recruiting cycle (I believe after a coaching change). Two incredibly productive guys for us that won a ton of games that did not jump off the paper on signing day.

I believe many of these guys are victims of a change in scheme on offense and defense. We need players that will excel in the scheme and hopefully these players will at some point appreciate they were not the right fit for the scheme. This is no different than Khalil Tate flipping out about them trying to make him an option QB.

Don’t know anything about this kid, but you have to wonder what he saw in MA’s coaching staff… especially on the defensive side !

1 Like

Bingo, comparing this staff to previous is night and day. Give Dana couple years to build it back up and we’ll be scary

1 Like

He looks like another tweener. CDH and staff are probably focusing on needs and players who have experience in the same position they are recruiting them in. Not a lot of time to have training wheels on when there are depth issues across the board on defense.

1 Like

Maybe he loved our University and wanted to be a part of it, but we hired a new coach and he had the rug pulled from under him.

1 Like

Doubtful. The UH is still there.

This @Imago13 :clap::clap::clap::raised_hands:

You are 100% correct. What has been done to these boys is unethical.

2 Likes

What is unethical about it ? It happens all the time with coaching changes, happened to my son, so I know the feeling. It would be more unethical to me to lie to the young men and keep them on when don’t see them fitting in programs future.

5 Likes

I don’t have any knowledge of what is going on behind the scenes. And I think I prefer it that way because I am pretty confident that I wouldn’t like the college athlete recruiting business (especially for football and basketball). Coaches are getting millions per season and the pressure is high to succeed. Now, with the early commitment process, we have football coaching changes after signing day – this is unfortunate.

Too many times fans want to criticize a player who decides to leave their program but are excited when a transfer chooses their program and/or a new coach “releases” recruits from their NLI. It’s a tough life lesson for these high school graduates.

I wish those that signed with UH but then were released (Levi, Rason and the others) nothing but success.

4 Likes

Sure the coaches are stressed out as well cause I know the kids are, especially when have several schools pressing them to sign

Here is what i know. If I had signed an NLI to play for a college and the coach “suggested” that I look another school. I would look the coach straight in the eye and tell them I am going to prove them wrong and honor my commitment.

I am sure that would change any coaches mind about not wanting a player to commit.

3 Likes

uhmump95
I was thinking the exact same thing, Rason, should have replied just as your suggested. He didn’t have to give up his scholarship or reopen his recruitment…His NLI was binding for at least a year, correct me if i’m wrong.

I don’t like the process, but I understand…

Very easy for you guys to say.

5 Likes

Why would you want to play for a coach that doesn’t want you around?

3 Likes

Sounds good on paper but why stick around for a staff that intentionally wont play you?

2 Likes

The only situation we have going on here is a coach said they do not think they can use you or “suggests” you go to another school. If you want to play for that team what is wrong with showing up, working as hard as you can to change their mind, and proving them wrong? Do you really think that if you honored your NLI, worked hard, and proved yourself to be an asset, that the staff won’t play you? That idea is ludicrous.

This is my opinion, so take it how you want, but I think kids these days are too soft.

2 Likes

Rason did reply that way and was told he’d be given a fair chance as all other players because he committed to the school and not the coaches. The next week Holgerson went to his high school to try to convince his head coach to get Rason to opt out of his NLI. That didn’t work, so the next week the DC came to the school and basically told Rason he wasn’t a “fit” and how he’s never touch the field if he opted to stay. So you tell me what does a young man do at this point? They were not going to stop until he left. He should have been left alone when he said he wanted to stay. Bottom line is, if he didn’t perform to their standards they did not have to resign his NLI the next school year.

2 Likes