Bowlsby on expansion

Well, now “And it’s goodbye to A&M” has real significance. Do you think Michigan thinks Ohio State is their rival or Michigan State? UT isn’t separating from OU anymore than Michigan is separating from Ohio State.

The rich are gonna get richer, and UH better figure out a way to attract and pay for an elite staff because we probably have one shot in the next realignment to get a seat at the table.

The Big 12’s ideal season is one in which Texas and OU play in their so-called “championship” game. They got that this year, so they are happy.

1 Like

Looks like the Big 10 wants to emulate the Big 12 CG. Maybe the Big 12 is on to something in how they crown their champion.

“Alston trial could have huge influence in realignment.”

Four super-conferences. 16 teams each. Still think it’s happening.
Hope I’m wrong.

4 x 16…I think we get in IF it is the Big 12 that is picked apart.

Here are the available spots:

B1G - 2 spots
ACC- 1 spot assuming ND becomes a full time member
SEC- 2 spots
PAC- 4 spots

9 total spots will be open.

The 3 that are definitely safe are Texas, Oklahoma, and Kansas…that leaves 6 spots.

Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State and possibly TCU could be left out. We just have to be more attractive than that group.

IF Texas goes to the B1G…the PAC could add Texas Tech, Houston, Oklahoma State + 1 other for a central presence.

1 Like

If B1G gets OU and UT then yes the others 3 will also go to 16. Boise State might be that 4th PAC16 team.

What are you basing that on? There has NEVER been a consensus on the number of teams a conference should have. See the data points below. Would other conferences add teams if UT left the Big 12 for the Big 10? Probably. But there is no rule, written or un-written, that says all conferences need to have a uniform number of member schools.

1996- ACC (9), Big 12 (12), SEC (12), Big 10 (11), PAC 10 (10), Big East (8 football members)
2010- ACC (12), Big 12 (12), SEC (12), Big 10 (11), PAC 10 (10), Big East (8 football members)
2018- ACC (14), Big 12 (10), SEC (14), Big 10 (14), PAC 10 (12), Big East (N/A)

When I think " Expansion" it’s usually someone’s waist being discussed. :joy:

I agree. I think when it is all said and done and conferences become larger entities with their own networks (of course with either fox, espn or an online platform as a partner), they will be trying to expand their footprint as much as possible. I can see a conference such as the ACC or B10 with 18 or 20 teams. Especially if all conferences adopt the Big 12 conference championship model - highest 2 ranked teams play in the championship game. Divisions or pods will not be necessary/important.

I subscribe to this as well. They’ll be able to replicate divisions/wild cards and basically the NFL model. TV is there and so is the money. There’s no motivation to be more inclusive.