Bowlsby shoots down Big 12 expansion

Because of “shrinking cable universe” expansion no longer makes sense.

Big 12 ended up being smarter than the rest of them.

He said that in 2016…nothing new here.

3 Likes

How does that make sense?

It would make sense if they had a conference network and cable was really shrinking. I don’t see the B12 expanding unless they can pick up a blueblood. The Big 12 would only accept a school that could pay for itself and bring in 5% more for each school. Only the networks value on a school would matter.

Well he said it again.

2 Likes

Doesn’t matter since we don’t want the big 12 anyway. We bring market value to the Acc, Big10 and Pac12.

8 Likes

That explains why the Big10 is making close to $50 million per year for each school since taking in Maryland and Rutgers, eh?

2 Likes

The big 10 understands market share in new markets and the same apply to the Acc and pac12 and maybe a the sec if they want to close off Southwest Texas to the sec with Houston. Forget the big 12 unless they really need us which if Texas leaves.

1 Like

Well, if he finds a New York/Jersey or a Baltimore/DC somewhere in the plains states, he might change his mind.

Man… We were this close! :joy:

Meh…let’s just keep growing the revenue for our conference until one of bloated five blows up completely.

1 Like

We knew this in 2016.

The Big 12 has two disgruntled cash cows. If/when both decide to leave, this stance will quickly take a 180.

5 Likes

If it is to be, it is up to me

…on the wall of some weight room…

The Big12 should add Houston, Memphis and Cincinnati and return to divisional play.

2 Likes

I would rather the AAC add OU and return to divisional play. The odds of both are about the same.

1 Like

If adding these programs bring millions more to the Big 12, I am sure Big 12 will add them. Otherwise they wont.

Big 12 expansion motto is clearly “Ask not what we can do for you, show what you can do for us!”

1 Like

Isn’t that true for all the conferences?

"All indications point to the AAC staying at 11 teams, unless, conference commissioner Mike Aresco said, the conference finds “a school that would really strengthen us.” "

Though, if the option to replace Baylor with Houston was on the table…

Did we ask again?? No need to restate the obvious!

All the conferences have demographic drawbacks, but the “Big” 12 seems worst. Manhattan, Waco, Ames, and Stillwater are extremes. Houstonians are not excited by those places. Looking at it another way, why would those places want us? They would have to share the windfall profits they are getting.