Breaking down 2019 Houston football: Quarterback

At the time of the injury, King was one of the most dynamic quarterbacks in the country with 50 touchdowns, the most in FBS and American Athletic Conference single-season record, in his first season as a starter. He completed 63.5 percent of his passes for 2,982 yards and 36 touchdowns and only six interceptions. He also ran for 674 yards and 14 scores. With a healthy King, the Cougars should again be dangerous and capable of putting up points in bunches.

“I wish he was a junior,” coach Dana Holgorsen said. “We should have redshirted him one of these years.”

A major point of emphasis this spring was working with King on how to protect himself. The coaching staff showed him a three-minute video of Oklahoma quarterback and Heisman Trophy winner Kyler Murray, whom Holgorsen said “is the best I’ve ever seen at not getting hit.”

2 Likes

I hope we don’t reduce his dynamism.

1 Like

He can still be dynamic and avoid big hits. He needs to remember he ain’t Jerome Bettis!

I noted a couple of things. First and most important is Bryson Smith is 100% Receiver/Returner. Question for JD to ask is "just for this season or for the rest of his UH career?

Second, I knew CMA screwed Tune by not redshirting him and I didn’t know why until Dormady announced his transfer then it was all clear. Not playing Dormady when he gave us the best chance of winning never made sense to me and still doesn’t. I guess he had to decide who to screw. Looks like he screwed UH too if we can’t land a ready to play transfer QB. Maybe we should have been nicer to Levi!

1 Like

Bryson Smith already redshirted his first year. Someone will have to convince me we haven’t completely botched this guy’s career with all of our coaching drama. He was supposed to be Ward 2.0 and take the reigns after this season. Now he’s just another receiver. His story isn’t yet written I hope it’s a happy ending. SMH, big picture I’m happy CDH is here and think he will bring stability we need at football head coach like his counterpart in hoops.

3 Likes

The way Dana’s been talking, Bryson isn’t the only guy’s career that has been botched.

3 Likes

Yes, he’s brought that up a lot in interviews. If he takes his own advice, we may see some very good recruits red-shirting this year who CMA would have played had he stayed.

1 Like

Seems like managing depth and talent on the roster wasnt one of MA strengths…

1 Like

It was a Herman issue as well. Herman has that philosophy of skill players have to be able to play immediately, or they were useless. Forced guys like Corbin and Lark onto the field their 1st years for like 1-2 games and cost them their redshirts.

Philosophy makes sense at a place like Alabama that has depth to spare, but Houston doesn’t have that luxury due to all the coaching changes.

4 Likes

In CMA’s defense (rare for me I know) he was on a short leash the minute he was hired and made hasty decisions accordingly. For better or worse (probably better) CDH is going to be here a while.

2 Likes

The lying coach wanted to leave as soon as possible, which is why he played talented skill guys right away.

3 Likes