Briles and FSU

The Florida State 247 board writer says that FSU may hire Briles as early as today or tomorrow. I have no info on his sources, but his report seems to say its pretty much done. I guess we can just wait and see.

https://247sports.com/college/florida-state/Article/Coaching-Insider-Closing-in-on-Kendal-Briles-126119195/

1 Like

Well that should buy applewhite at least 2 more years here to rebuild his coaches!

1 Like

Didnt they say he was out of the running for the job?

okay well, next!

1 Like

The local paper has an article that the face-to-face interview was today.

They met with Larry Fedora earlier in the week.

If I were FSU, I would prefer Fedora. He’s a great coach who has mentored some good coaches who are currently head coaches, including the current UTSA coach and the current North Texas coach.

Fedora’s teams at North Carolina were pretty bad the last two years. I’m not convinced he is a good choice for anyone.

3 Likes

Obviously there’s nothing we can do if true, he is going to go wherever he wants to go. The delusion of us being his alma mater is tainted from the standpoint he was a longhorn and only came to us because of his father.

At the same time, the fact that both him and his father can’t be man of their word you do hope that karma catches up with them. Obviously it already called his father, we will just have to wait and see if it catches up with the son.

I hope that CMA learned a lot about this offense from CKB and then he can integrate a lot of the concepts into whatever offense we have post CKB.

I just hate to see us have to get two new coordinators in the off-season. It makes next year so uncertain when it is such an important season with the teams that we have on our schedule. Just have to hope for the best.

3 Likes

We just need to be ready to hire an HC, OC, and/or DC in any given year. That’s Pez’s job.

I’m not gonna have hurt feelings if Briles leaves. Sorry, sure. But coaches need to grab the next rung of the ladder when they can. We could stink next year, and he’d lose these opportunities.

2 Likes

I don’t get angry anymore, I accept the fact that most coaches are just mercenaries rented out to the highest bidder. There are rare exceptions and I admire those guys and hope some day we will get another one of those. People don’t realize how lucky we were with Bill Yeoman, Guy Lewis, Dave Williams, Tom Tellez et al.

2 Likes

Times, and people, have changed. In the past (many years ago), it was not a big deal for a head coach to remain with their school for many years . . . . . Broyles, Bryant, Bowden, Paterno, Royal, Yeoman to name a few. They took over programs and became the “father” of their programs. They taught much more than x’s and o’s.

Now, as some have stated, the coaches are more like mercenaries . . . . . always on the hunt for a new job. Success came thru commitment and effort, not smoke and mirrors . . . . . This is true in the coaching business as well as almost every other business, as well. I know several people who love to start up and build new businesses, then sell them and start over again. Happens in commercial real estate all the time. Just the way the world is today . . . . .

2 Likes

How much do we get in the Briles’ buyout?

Well at least we make some money out this craziness.

Up to 880,000 on Briles and if Clements goes he owes us 470,000.

And how much of that is really paid? They always settle for less. Has Herman paid yet?

1 Like

IF he’s gone, I won’t be butt hurt over it. I said in another thread that he’s like his old man, so it wouldn’t be surprising. My main interest is to see us get better, but I will also enjoy watching when his star no longer shines so brightly. It’ll happen, someday.

No one settles for less. All the money was paid in one payment instead of agreeing to play us at home.

2 Likes

If he leaves I would expect some decommits. That’s the part that really bums me out.

3 Likes

Les Miles just settled. Mike Leach is still suing. It isn’t real money for any of us anyways.

1 Like

Les and Leach were both fired by their schools correct? Briles and Clements are under contract so if they choose to leave they or the school they are leaving for will have to pay. We can settle for less on Briles if we choose to depending upon things like when he leaves, can he recruit our commits, will he stay until after the bowl etc.

There will be no reason to settle for less. He would have performed absolutely nothing under the new contract, so no value has or will be received from him.

1 Like

I agree there is no reason to settle for less and I would be shocked and in dismay if we did. Hopefully these discussions are all for naught and he stays.