Briles to interview at Tennessee

Just my opinion with no supporting evidence to back my claim, but Kendal is working hard to find a program that will allow Art back into the coaching business. I don’t believe this is entirely about money.

The first reputable program that will allow both to coach, he’ll be gone. It’s not about loyalty to a university, it’s much bigger than that. He’s loyal to his dad. It’s a love that a son has for his dad and a love a father has for his son. Football is the family business and it’s not unusual for a son to work for his father, or vice versa. Look how dynamic both of them were at Baylor. In the business of sports, some team will offer Art a second chance, he’ll succeed and the rest will be history.

That said, we either hire both Art and Kendal, or we say goodbye to both and we’ll never know how things could have changed for UH.

4 Likes

I like the thought process, but I just find it really hard that any major institution will give Art another chance. I don’t know what happened at Baylor other than what was has been reported, and we all know whether Art was involved or not, the perception is bad. UH caught grief when he showed up to practice. Imagine Art showing up to a TU practice with all he media avenues the SEC has?

That’s another point to make as well though was CMA allowing CAB to attend practice. That made headlines on ESPN. CMA has stuck his neck out for CKB all year and like us he’s probably getting sick of all this.

1 Like

I don’t want a Briles working at the arcade in the UC if this goes down. Fool me once…

6 Likes

Fire them both now…if this was any other profession, it would be termination!

3 Likes

I like this thinking - 4D underwater chess :+1:

2 Likes

Just like any other job, the man is leveraging for better opportunities, better pay and better career path.Cmon, did we really think he is going to stay here after he left FAU. It’s the nature of this business and its not personal. Put in a counter or let him go and that’s ok. Take the buyout and move on.

1 Like

Winner, winner, chicken dinner ! If you’re good at UH the Big $$$ Ballers are coming to get you plain and simple. If you’re mediocre they’re not and you’re gonzo in 3

2 Likes

The sad reality is as long as UH is in he position we are in, conference affiliation, we will have these 2 year windows of success, then we loose coaches to poaching, Then you have the ripple affect with losing coaches. You lose recruits, and any momentum of excitement from the fan base. You cant sustain any semblance of stability like that, and that my friends sucks canal water. I hope it all works out for the good for UH.

7 Likes

If you are interviewing a week and a half after signing an extension at UH it does not seem like you want to be here much at all. I have no problem with Kendall looking into advancing in his career. What I have a problem with is agreeing to an extension at UH and then turning around doing interviews for other jobs not even a month later. This could damage our recruiting for the year. He could at least asked those athletic departments to keep the interviews discreet like we are doing with our DC search.

6 Likes

We are about to get rolled by Army but we’re in a window of success. I didn’t get the memo but apparently 7 wins last year and 8 wins this year is a window of success. Let the good times roll.

1 Like

Termination is the only solution. You are engaging in something that isn’t beneficial to your employer…being a snake in the grass…

1 Like

Maybe he only signed the extension to help us out, getting us a bigger buyout. Great guy.

5 Likes

Not saying the last two years have been successful, but were successful enough with some national media exposure for the P5 schools to lurk around and poach our staff. I get it’s part of the business and at the end of the day it’s reality of the coaching world. If you look at our history, when we have been successful it’s for not more than a 2 year period. Another question for the masses, what if Briles decides to stay put, how does our fan base treat him? I honestly cant say how I would take it at this point.

God we have a insecure fan base. This victim mentality is hard to read. Coaches interview during this time of year, get over it.
As far as recruits, maybe this thread is worse than any article saying Briles is interviewing. It shows a really fragile fan base.

6 Likes

I understand we are not alone in the AAC as far as poaching but G5 coaches are getting poached with very mediocre success at their former schools. Oh that team is bowl eligible let’s go get their coach.

Higher P5s used to poach from lower P5s but now it’s just everyone poaching the AAC and G5 every single year. How are we supposed to get any momentum and consistency in recruiting or anywhere else in our program?

I think there is a gentleman’s agreement in the P5 to poach as little as possible within the power conferences and weaken the AAC.

I have to say its more frustration than fragile. That’s just my 2 cents. It is that time of year coaches interview, but I think the frustration is over there was a contract extension signed prior to all of this interviewing. No matter who runs the OC I will still purchase my season tickets like we have the last 30 years.

3 Likes

It has nothing to do with UH. It’s any G5 program is at their own mercy at end of any Football season. Let’s see do really well …rumor here, rumor there, opps rumor over there …mia mia.
Oh don’t do well… then fire the coach let’s promote OC, oh wait how about OC at Alabama he love to come to Houston. The insanity will continue. When one program similar to yours–
say Baylor brings in $18-20 mil to Budget and yours around $2-3 mil problems will cont. They’ve pretty much created different tier among G5 vs P5 although no one from NCAA Execs will admit to disparity:
D3, D2 FCS, G5, P5.
‘Let the Wheels go Round n Round’

3 Likes

It’s not insecurity. There are a number of things KB could be doing for the benefit of our program right now. Things like prepare the team for the bowl game, recruit talent to our offense, generally put in work for the program that employs him. Too often our team is not the sole focus of our coaches. They are supposed to be working for us, for the betterment of our team but they seem to constantly fantasize about a bigger better deal if they have any modicum of success.

I mean really. What about us? Houston could be built into a powerhouse if these coaches realized they’re sitting on top of perhaps the most talent rich area in the country and focused on building this program. Why isn’t there anybody willing to stick with our program and find its ceiling? Judas was right about one thing, we could potentially be built into a Miami. We have much more potential than most G5 schools.

3 Likes

Imo it still comes to the $$. Best UH can be at moment is lumped in top tier among other G5 programs.

1 Like