Briles to interview at Tennessee

It does to a certain extent. We were prepared to match any offer UT gave to Judas. He left anyway. Nowadays no one wants to build anything themselves. Just use the G5s as stepping stones to the blue bloods.

1 Like

Thereā€™s a big difference between not wanting to be here at all and being open to making more money and getting closer to a good head coaching job. If he ā€œdidnā€™t want to here at allā€ he could probably get a job at Tulsa or a ton of other schools. What we can deduce from this is that he does not consider being UH offensive coordinator for a salary of $700k as the pinnacle of his career.

As far as not interviewing at other schools, we obviously didnā€™t put that in his contract and we knew people would likely look at him. Though Iā€™m guessing we did put a buyout in, so weā€™ll get that if nothing else. He signed the extension because it was the best thing for him and his family. Iā€™m sure heā€™s interviewing for teh UTenn job because he thinks getting that job may be the same.

If we donā€™t want to worry about assistants being interviewed for other gigs then we need to hire back Nesbitt or Bush.

1 Like

So letā€™s say that Major leaves after two more years and Briles leaves this season for Tenn OC position, do you consider Briles as a HC candidate? Is Briles interested in it? Those were not questions in my head earlier in the week.

Usually I would agree, however you interview the week after you negotiate a new contract? That tells me you donā€™t want to be here or he knows UH has a chance to be a .500 team next year and wants no part of it.

My guess is UH thought he was done searching and worked a deal. Iā€™m betting theyā€™re caught off guard with this.

2 Likes

I mentioned this in an earlier post, but if he lights it up at Tennessee in the SEC Iā€™d honestly probably elevate him as a candidate. The only downside vs. promoting him internally is that he wouldnā€™t have the advantage of recruiting continuity. Maybe we need him to have a buyout on par with what Major agreed to, though.

Itā€™ll happen one day. Just sucks we have to endure all of the soap opera drama along the way.

1 Like

If he lied and said he wouldnā€™t interview elsewhere or something no matter what came up, then my opinion changes some. Itā€™s unclear whether he didnā€™t get the Tx State job and signed this extension, or if this extension is what kept him from taking the Tx State job.

If you accept a promotion at your job, then 2 weeks later you get a call from a job you consider better that may double your salary, are you automatically going to hang up the phone? If you donā€™t does that mean you donā€™t want to be at your current job at all?

1 Like

Someone earlier said he actually has NOT signed yet because the UH BOR has to meet and approve it first.

On other site Sellers said it was signed.

Well - once everyone gets over their outrage over someone advancing in their career, you then realize that CMA should know this is coming and has prepped and prepared the next OC in the pipeline. :slight_smile:

Anyone think heā€™ll hit a homerun?

1 Like

Yes.

Troll thoughts

I have no problem with him interviewing for a better job, but the way he is doing it is not classy. He could of at least asked these other programs to keep it under wraps from the media that he interviewed. He played and graduated from UH, so I would expect him to be a little more understanding to not leave UH in a bad predicament. He is hurting the program by doing this. We are sending recruits a mixed message.

Instead of meager monetary buyouts, I wish we would start putting provisions in these contracts that require the hiring school (if a P5 school, and at our option) to schedule 2 games with us, the first of which will be played at UH. Or maybe that provision plus a monetary buyout.

Also, if I had just given one of my employees a hefty raise and an extension and he starts sniffing around at other jobs within a few weeks, Iā€™d be pissed! If Briles knew he would be open to other jobs, he shouldnā€™t have agreed to an extension so early. This is a very bad look for him.

5 Likes

We donā€™t have many recruits. If briles leaves we might lose some.

Lane Kiffen was on a Vols radio show this afternoon talking about Briles and how he would be great at Tenn. Apparently he also recommend Briles to the Tenn HC.

No coach is signing that contract.

No coach that wants to remain loyal to UH is signing that contract.

FIFY!

Lots of insults going on between posters on this thread. Yā€™all need to reign it in or it gets the thread lockedā€¦ just sayinā€™. Disagree without being disagreeable,

1 Like

Just my opinion,but if we get a coach like Herman that can bring success, he might stay as long as we pay him P5 wages.
Herman left because UT and OSU were his dream jobs. Tillman was going to match their offer, but it was not as much about the money.