Build the AAC and make it home

The B1G definitely cares about AAU member status, UNLESS the title of your school is “The University of Notre Dame.”

But yeah, for other conferences, it’s largely unimportant. The SEC and Big 12 could really care less about it!

1 Like

How much do they really care ?
So, will they kick out Nebraska ?

UConn can put together an impressive schedule because they are D1 and awful. Who doesn’t want a tune up game?

1 Like

No, but had Nebraska not been in the AAU at the time, they very likely would not have been given an invite to the B1G.

Nebraska U’s own President has admitted that.

2 Likes

Yep, looks to me they took some money to be some elite P5 punching bags.

1 Like

Correct. Typo on 2011

The pac 12 cares about AAU and maybe the Acc and it does help. Boise is always knocked bc their low standards. I think all of our upgrades are strategic in trying to put our best foot forward for the next round of expansion but like I said, it’s never over as long as we keep improving bc they could add us down the road if we’re solid in all areas. So stay the course.

2 Likes

You are 100% correct.
Why the negatives friends?
Does negativity bring you relief, joy?
I don’t think so either. We are looking forward for a possible expansion. We ought to do everything possible that we can and good things will come.

Is it written in the conference by-laws now that members
must be AAU ? Purdue didn’t obtain AAU status until
1958 but were original conference founding members.
So they got a 50 year pass. Still waiting for UNL to get
the boot.

Look I get it you have affiliation with the B1G. It has some
Really great schools academically and athletically. And it’s
nice to have AAU status on a schools resume. But in this
day, I doubt it is a deciding factor for a school to get called
up into a P5.

I can’t imagine the Indoor practice facility being a strategic upgrade. It was tactical in response to Herman’s demands for one.

The damage done to tailgating by the facility is immeasurable and I can’t imagine it was planned to build right on top of where tailgating has been since even before the pavilions at Robertson.

Ever since the administration built a new track in Robertson, using donations to the $300 million capital campaign, and then ripped it up just a couple of years later to expand football seating, my views of strategic planning at UH have not been favorable.

2 Likes

I think the big 10 wants or desires AAU members bc they share research and or money and AAU is is at the 300 mil mark as the lowest to get into the exclusive club. I think we can get there.

Well, the B1G has never given an EXPANSION invite to anyone not in the AAU other than Notre Dame, and ND has more or less Ivy League caliber admission standards.

Draw your own conclusions! I wouldn’t reasonably expect them to invite a non-AAU member other than ND, given their expansion history.

Naturally, the B1G will make an exception for ND simply because they a) are within the B1G’s geographic footprint, b) are already a B1G member for hockey, c) have long historical football rivalries with several existing B1G members, including Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, and Penn State, d) are one of the true football “blue bloods” with a huge number of national titles, Heisman Trophy winners, and the biggest TV/subway alumni following in the country, and e) are a US News Top 20 undergrad school with near Ivy League SAT scores and admission standards; i.e., their academics are high falutin’ enough to to where they can be excused from AAU affiliation, without bringing the rest of the conference’s academic profile down.

But ND is literally the exception that proves the rule.

Don’t bet on the B1G inviting any expansion candidate other than ND without that AAU affiliation.

1 Like

I fear college athletics has sold its soul to ESPN. As such, traditional
school boy stuff is all expendable.

If ESPN did a study that showed a way to maximize profit, they would do it. Suppose the
financial analysis suggested to create a college football elite division because they could make near NFL level revenue.

If they wanted only a top 32 team college football format , and they could pay every participating school 100 million or more, see where tradition and rivalries and AAU status and geography would get you.

I’m surprised B1G lowers themselves by playing dozens of non AAU schools yearly if it
so important.

Academic and Athletic associations are two different things. UH should continue to
seek AAU status. UH should continue to invest in athletics. But getting an AAU or P5
Membership is still an invite process. Do everything you can to make yourself stronger.
Develop and cultivate relationships with those with whom you desire to join. But come
the fall, learn to love and support AAC football. It’s all we got.

The reason a 32 or 64 field won’t work in college is because fans like wins and it would create a situation where big dogs beat each up and certain current powers will cease to exist so they actually want a large field of 120 or so teams so big dogs can get wins and remain a power. I read an article saying this as to reason they want all 120 but they don’t really want the lower teams to be more powerful thus the p5 system is in place. Arkansas comes to mind. They were a power in the SWC now they are in a dog fight to try and get back to the old win level , firing coaches too often. What would make sense is if the bigger conferences absorbed more lower teams for wins and paid them less to join on a sliding scale then they pay less and get wins in conf.

1 Like

I like that POV too. Gotta have the food of the orphans to keep the beasts fans thrilled. Arkansas has really taken a tumble since the SWC and playing UT for the
National championship per the president. Hard cheese there too.

My overall point is everything in college football these days is at the whim of ESPN.
If espn sees $$$ in UH being in the real chase, it would have happened. Conference
Tradition, rivals, memberships be damned.

I HAVE POSTED THIS BEFORE. I AGREE THE BIG 12 WILL
NOT ASK US TO JOIN UNLESS. I BELIEVE IF PAC OR ACC
STARTED TALKING TO US WITH A SERIOUS THOUGHT
OF AN INVITE THEN THE BIG 12 MIGHT NOT WANT ANOTHER
CONFERENCE IN THIS MARKET. THEY COULD TELL THE
OTHER MEMBERS IF YOU WANT US THEN INVITE UH AS
IF ANOTHER CONF COMES IN THE RECRUITS WILL BE
THAT MUCH MORE BY THE NEW CONF THAN IF UH COMES IN. I DON’T THINK UT OR OK IS THAT MUCH NOT
FOR US , THEY CAN STILL GET THEIR RECRUITS, THE
THE TEAMS THAT REALLY DON’T WANT US ARE TCU
KANSAS, KAN S. OK STATE , TT, BAYLOR. THESE SCHOOLS KNOW WE WILL GET THEIR RECRUITS.
IF UT AND OK LEAVE THEN WE MIGHT GET AND
INVITE TO WATERED DOWN BIG 12. THOSE TWO
OPTIONS ARE THE ONLY WAY FOR US IN TH BIG 12.
I STILL BELIEVE BIG 12 IS OUR BEST CONFERENCE
TO JOIN. I REMEMBER THE RIVALS WE HAD AND THE
GREAT ROAD TRIPS. THATS MY STORY, AND I AM
STICKEING TO IT.

2 Likes

I hope we accept any other P 5 conf rather than the big 12 if it happens bc then we’re set for the longterm. I think our admin will do just that bc of the big 12 fiasco of fake expansion a yrs back. UT and Ou would have to sign a GOR before I feel confident signing with that league and if they did it could a good conf for us. Your right on recruiting in that UT and OU wouldn’t be threatened by us so much as the rest which is short sighted bc they should want a strong conf with us and 1 more vs it failing apart and for the rest with less options afterwards. We’d only be taking 25 at most recruits a yr and some of which we’d be keeping them from going to other major con fences other than the big 12. Barry switzer mentioned don’t bring Houston bc he feared loses recruits to OU but OU will always get theirs and he’s wrong but bc we beat OU that yr, he was scared which is short sighted. The big 12 with only 10 teams will have a tougher road bc the playoffs will discriminate against that league and say you have to go undefeated or close to make the playoffs which is what’s happening.

IF WE JOINED THE PAC 12 WE WOULD HAVE NO REVALS,
SAME IF WE WERE IN THE ACC. NOT AN EASY DRIVE TO
ANY TEAM IN BOTH CONF. WOULD HAVE TO TAKE A
VACATION TO SEE ANY TEAMS IN THE PAC 12. WE DON’T
FIT IN WITH ANY TEAM IN THE PAC.THEY ARE DIFFERENT
THAN US. WEST COAST GAMES WOULD GO TO 11=12
SOMETIMES AFTER MID NIGHT. UNLESS CALIF CHANGED
THEIR LAW ABOUT PLAYING IN TX WITH NO MONIES TO
TRAVEL.IF IT WAS A LAST RESORT FOR ABOUT 40 MIL
A YEAR.TRAVEL COAST WOULD BE VERY HIGH.
ACC WOULD NOT BE AS BAD FOR TRAVEL AND WE
WOULD NOT HAVE THOSE VERY LATE GAMES.BUT WHO
WOULD BE ONE TEAM THAT WAS OUR RIVAL. NOT ONE.
SLIM AND NONE, AND SLIM LEFT TOWN. WOULD ALSO
NEED ABOUT 40 MIL
ALL OF US KNOW SEVERAL PEOPLE WHO WENT TO
AT LEAST ONE OF THE OLD SWC. I CAN’T SEE UT OR
OK LEAVING THE BIG 12.EASY WAY TO MAJOR BOWLS.
JOINING A OTHER CONF WOULD MAKE THEM BETTER
TEAMS FOR NOT MUCH MORE MONEY. WE ARE NOT
SCARED OF EITHER ONE OF THEM

2021-04-09T06:00:00Z

If UT and OU left with the remaining teams plus us and another or 2 , I could see it still being a p5 at least as strong as the old big East but Espn would have to make that call.