C/O ‘20 Jamal Shead commits to Coogs (Update: Signed)

Jamal Shead 2020 PG just committed! 1 scholy left… for Peavy perhaps :slight_smile: likely no more LJ Cryer. #GOCOOGS

11 Likes

Big Big Big news !!!

Coogs now have the 6th and 13th ranked players in TX for their 2020 signing class… both high 4-stars

Paws🐾Up

7 Likes

we need a dominant big man, that is the only piece we are missing, we have a great big man, we win a Natty, not many Olajuwon’'s available though, lol

3 Likes

Yawn oh sorry are we supposed to be surprised when high 4 stars commit to one of the rising juggernauts in college hoops?

Just a reminder P5 is only a thing in football. The recruits know that. Looking forward to welcoming a new PG in 2020.

5 Likes

we are still going to be targeting cryer…we were trying to get multiple pg this class or we wouldnt have offered so many…

80% of our offers still out there are to pg

3 Likes

Not true. Benefit of doubt always goes to P5 schools. Just look at the baseball regional selections. Same goes for basketball. To deny bias exists in the selection process for basketball and baseball is not reality

5 Likes

True, but I don’t see it happening. If we want another guard, I would like us to spend the majority of our efforts towards Dayten Holman.

why not?..we still want cryer bad, we’ve visit cryer like once a week …his injury also is preventing him from getting new offers…he has also said he is just going to focus on the offers he has… we are in great position for cryer

and if we are going for a wing, wouldnt peavy be the priority

Maybe Cryer is too good to pass up regardless of need but offers have nothing to do with it. Still think if one of the bigs wants to commit then that will be the direction we go

247Sports on new UH signee Jamal Shead

There’s always a number of players that emerge during the spring following their junior season. One candidate that has already started that process is 2020 guard **** Jamal Shead.

Shead transferred to Manor (Tex.) High, a school located just outside of Austin, just prior to his junior year and helped lead them to the state title game, while averaging 19 points and just over four assists a game.

What does Shead, a 6-foot-2 guard, bring to the table?

“A little bit of everything. I think I’m at my best when everyone else around me is at my best. Some of our best games were all in double-digits, not just the starting five but everyone off the bench.”

“I also need to tighten my handle. My jump shot isn’t where I want it to be, it improved from last year but it’s still not where I want it to be. I’m working on it but it needs to get better.”

Recruiting interest picked up for Shead in past months. He added seven scholarship offers – Houston, Texas A&M, Texas State, SMU, UTA, Drexel and Colorado State. Texas Tech, Michigan State and Texas are also showed interest.

According to ESPN 2020 the only players from Texas to have commited, both committed to UH.

This is incredible!!

Its cool to look at :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Nooooo. A big, buddy.

Do you prefer Jonathan Aku or someone else?

Yes. Are u hearing anything on, Aku ? If u do, let us know

2 Likes

I looked at the 247 committ list and it has Mark listed as a 3 star and Shead a 4 star. Who lists Mark as a 4 star? I was wondering about that because if Mark is really a 3 star, I wonder if he will stick with a 4 star at the same position. Remember, its a long way to the November signing date and nothing is official until the LOI is signed.

ESPN has them both as 4 stars top 100 nationally recruits.

Shead 81
Mark 84

4 Likes

Shead is a pure point guard, a guy whose strength is distributing the ball. Mark can play PG, but he’s 6’5 and more a shooting guard. Mark is also rated among the top 10 players in the state depending on which list you check and in some cases when you check it. We are bringing in four outstanding guards in the ‘19 and ‘20 classes. You’d probably have to go back to Coach Lewis to find two as good in one class as Shead and Mark. They could be a very special duo before too long.

7 Likes

Boy, you can’t overemphasize the value of pure point guard…especially one as aggressive and intuitive as Shead. Personally I would rather start with a great floor general and build the other skills than start with a shooter and try to make him a point guard.

2 Likes

Btw…I want to be the first to nickname him…Firecracker!

espn 100 list mark as a top 100 4star

note espn is the only network that has made major changes for 2020 so far…the people that rank mark as 3* (247 and rivals) havent made major changes to to their class yet…
mark’s composite is bad becuase rivals has him in the 300-400 range, but they havent updated him in ages…his measurements alone will get him way higher before that (6’6 and still growing)…note his 247 page has the wrong height and a picture of him at 14

i actually think Mark will finish a composite 4star, because of measurements and his aau team made peach jam (nike aau finals/the biggest evaluation event of the year)…

jamal is the one that will have a hard time finishing a 4star, his aau team didnt make peach jam…so aau season is done for him (no more major evaluation events)…, not unless he decides to switch circuits and join a adiddas/under armor team but the fact he committed a day after being eliminated from peach jam makes think he is done …
his rating wont drop, but many player in peach jam/other circuits will jump him