California Governor Signs NIL Bill

California Gov. Gavin Newsom on Monday signed into law a bill that will make it easier for college athletes in the state to profit from their own name, image and likeness, beginning in 2023.

Newsom’s action seems likely to result in a court fight well before then between the state and the NCAA, whose current rules regarding athletes’ ability to make money off their names, images and likenesses are much more restrictive than California’s will be.

The conflict raises myriad questions almost immediately in the areas of recruiting and scheduling, both of which occur years in advance in college sports. It would seem especially problematic for conferences that have schools in California and other states, including the Pac-12.

Just in the past few weeks, legislators in South Carolina, New York and Illinois have either introduced, or announced their intention to introduce, bills similar to California’s. That was with legislative efforts already having occurred or been announced in Congress and in the states of Washington and Colorado.

1 Like

I have no problems with this law whatsoever. I do not want schools to pay players, but a person should be compensated if their image is being used for advertising.

10 Likes

Momentous day.
That was quick, very quick. College Sports is officially entering a new age.
So it starts in 2023? Do you remember the Madei Day QB that just changed his mind from USC to Alabama? Keep an eye on him. 2023 would be his senior year. That alone could keep him in School.

1 Like

The Genie is officially out of the bottle…

2 Likes

I 100% agree with you. Of course, I also know that people will figure out how to pay players by using these new rules.

5 Likes

this opens up an opportunity for schools with big private donors to pay for the likeness of any or all of their athletes and a disadvantage for small schools with smaller donor base to recruit athletes.

i.e. Alabama theoretically has $50 mil in “donor bucks” and Central Michigan has $1 mil. In theory Antonio Brown would find it more lucrative to go to Alabama

I get it is not right to profit off someone that is powerless to profit off themselves but this appears to be an ill conceived first attempt to correct that right by just opening the barn door to see what happens

1 Like

The school itself won’t pay players, but people will pay to make sure players wind up at certain schools.

This will change everything. Maybe it will be fine overall. Probably not great for UH, but we’ll see.

These young people go out there and possibly cause harm to life and limb they deserve to profit off their name and image.

If it is just a scholarship, tuition, books, room and board that is a cap.

I hope we are all against a cap.

The universities must remove themselves from the finAncial relationship otherwise there is going to be a Title IX situation and then things can get out of hand quickly.

3 Likes

This with the one and done being done in 2022… College athletics will look different in a few years… The days where a athlete can’t benefit in themselves/amateur may soon be over.

It would be better for us if the schools were the ones paying the players. It’s easier for the school to raise some money than to invent the sort of alumni network the P5 programs have, and the costs can be more contained.

2 Likes

The way things are going, I may just take up fall fishing more seriously.

4 Likes

I have no problem with it conceptually, but would prefer a pool be established that allows all players to profit. Otherwise the blue blood schools will continue to get better players because their players are going to appear in the games more often than non blue blood programs and get paid more.

3 Likes

This is the opening up and mainstreaming what has been going on with the shoe companies in hoops for a while now. Paying players to go to certain preferred sponsorship schools.

1 Like

So the schools should unilaterally decide how much each student is going to get without their input.

We don’t exactly know how this will work but the NCAA will have to negotiate with state rights.

The NCAA is not going to kick any school out because some of them are in large TV markets which could hurt the NCAA’s bottom line. They will figure it out now that they have to.

The stars benefit, nobody else does. Imagine could create resentment

3 Likes

If the NCAA was smart they would stay out of it.

This is how it already works right now under the table. Its up to the NCAA to set rules and regulate it. Stop acting like this bill is meant to allow a wide open system. States would not get specific and try to negotiate terms for athletes in an organization, they just make it possible for those players to get rewarded. Also your Antonio Brown scenario doesn’t make sense since Alabama was never interested in him (probably ever in his 3 years of college). He was a walk on when he started at Central Michigan.

Does this not happen in every industry in America? In and outside of sports.

1 Like

Is there resentment in the NBA or NFL of a player who makes $500K and the star makes $10M or a senior who is second string to a sophomore?

I don’t see that resentment in the those sports but they are human.