Caravan tonight

Just received a txt msg with a link to Zoom to participate.

just got removed from the zoom; tried to log on again and its says I was removed by the host and i’m not allowed back on.

WTF?

Are you that guy Holgy mentioned not wanting to talk to last week:-)

You are missing watching people eat their dinner on screen. (Note to users: you can turn your video off and still hear the dialogue)

#CoachZoom

4 Likes

Haha. No. This is my first caravan.

I have also learned that despite COVID-19 warnings, people still touch their face with pretty good regularity.

1 Like

and evidently your last :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Holgy is actually pretty pleasant tonight. Guess he can let us guard down a little bit with fans, versus reporters. He is definitely a truth teller and doesn’t hold back much.

3 Likes

Whose warnings ?

Don’t expect too much of what we don’t already know but it seems apparent that Holgorsen and the players feel this has the chance to be a really good team.

Absolutly agree, Dana was in a very good mood. I have never seen Dana give UH fans that many thank yous and appreciation of the support for the people that attended. He also got back to that mood where he thinks we are really going to improve this coming year. He is pumped about this up coming season.

Interesting that both Dana and CKS said a month ago they have never heard about Zoom. Very surprising. It can certainly be used as an effective recruiting tool versus just talking on the phone. You can certainly read a recruits facial expression, body language and so forth and it should help coaches build better relationships.

1 Like

I had never heard of zoom before this pandemic, but now use it for Sunday School every week. Our Sunday School classes aren’t as jerky as the caravan. I sure hope our recruiting zooms are better.

Being retired I could see where you wouldn’t be that familar with it. It is pretty commonly utilized by business as one of many collaboration tools. I would say their growth in the market started showing about 5 years ago. My firm uses MS Teams and Bluejeans and did use Skype but that was crap. Zoom is typically pretty good and much better than what was demonstrated tonight. It is usually pretty reliable and good quality.

My daughter is a collegiate athlete and Zoom was utilized in recruiting along with long distance team or one on one coaches meetings for awhile now. That is why I was surprised both CKS and Dana said that they weren’t familar with Zoom at all a month ago

Everyone. Except you I guess. If you are going to argue the point that touching your face will not spread germs, I will say “uncle” now and give you the esteemed “Contrarian of the Year” award. No speech is necessary (a simple Thank You is all) and we can carry on with caravan talk thus avoiding the wrath of @Coogfans2ndAdmin and keep this thread unlocked…for now.

2 Likes

We used skype and another program that I could both look at the person in India that I was talking to and we could also share each others screens. It saved me several flights to Mumbai, for which I was extremely appreciative. I made one trip and thatwas enough for me; just too long of a flight and our company was too cheap for first class.

The use of that technology over the past 10 years is why so many businesses adopted over night to running their businesses from home in mid-March and schools were so clumsy and inefficient and ineffective with conducting their class rooms over a collaboration tool than how businesses so easily adapted over night.

Its one reason schools need to get back on campus is that so many parents were PO’d at how online classes were conducted at the cost of a college credit. One of the by-products of globalization was the engagement of collaboration tools connecting so many centers from around the globe with collaboration meetings.

There were some latency delays tonight, plus I think some of the participants are not that use with using those types of tools. The one thing I would do to improve the sessions is to pick very good questions and give them to the coaches and players in advance on who is going to get called on and allow them some time to think about quality answers. This week and last week the Q&A seemed clumsy. Plus, you are putting a college kid on the spot to be quick minded and entertaining .They are just not use to being in that situation Let them prepare more and I think the answers and Q&A would work better along with the coaches answers.

CKS can be funny and entertaining with his dry sense of humor, but he often says the same stuff. I was happy to see Dana sound and act happier and more relaxed tonight. He is much better to listen too when he communicates as he did tonight

2 Likes

Back to the caravan:
Deontay basically stated what I had said often times before. When a DB has to keep chasing WR’s that can be changed out at 2 or 3 deep, but the DB has to stay in, he will get gassed and will not be able to keep up. The passes get completed and the fans down the DB because he got burned. That was common practice last year, but this year we will be stacked and will be “light years ahead of last year.” Back in the R&S we used to regularly wear down opposing DB’s.

I am proud of Marquez coming back to get his degree because when he entered collge, that was his goal. That’s a true student athlete I’m proud to have represent UH. The fact that he has lightning speed is icing on the cake.

Braylon is a very polished young man. His versatility will have him playing in the NFL, IMHO. I was under the impression that he would play tackle, but it was sounding like he may go back to center which I thought would be Freeman. But, I’m not sure if that is all settled.

Grant Stuard said his work ethic comes from the fact that he has had to work for everything he has ever gotten. He is the first in his family to go to college and he wants to set the example for his younger siblings. He thinks we can win every game this fall and is really looking forward to getting out there. I just love this guy’s motor and dedication. Dana was very complimentary of him and said when he ran down the UConn RB on the 2 yard line it caused our turnaround in the game and was the reason we won. CDH said 99% of the players would have given up on the play.

Holgersen is very optimistic about this season and is looking forward to a greatly improved season. He was also very complimentary of the other guys above and singled out how proud he is of Marquez returning instead of going pro. I am pretty sure he would have been drafted, and in the top 2 or 3 rounds, IMHO. I was impressed with the things CDH has been doing like the Captains’s Class, bringing in former players to help the current players buy in to what it means to be a Coog, and other such things I can’t remember. He plans on bringing players back on June 1, depending on how the 10 day extension by Hidalgo affects that.

Pez said he is confident we will play our full schedule this fall. Music to my ears. He also listed off several of the academic accomplishments of our various teams, and it is impressive. Football had a 3.28 average this spring, basketball a 3.16, golf, softball, swimming all had 3.6 or better. I am very proud of that – very proud.

4 Likes

How is the defense getting so gassed by an offense that rotates a bunch of receivers? I get it that the receivers are all fresh but you would think our defense would be more gassed when the other team goes hurry up and is snapping the ball as quickly as possible like we did under the Briles offense.

It’s common to see defenses rotate DBs depending on the offensive scheme but to rotate guys in and out due to tiredness is new to me. Getting a little pressure on the QB might help…

I’m with you on that, I thought Freeman was a very good center – outstanding for a freshman, in fact. I still expect him to play there.

1 Like

Deontay said there were many times he really needed to come out, but couldn’t because we had no depth. I don’t know, maybe you can run sprint after sprint with a WR and then they put in a fresh WR and you have to run sprint after sprint with him and still be just as fresh as when you started the game; but most human beings can’t.

BTW, CDH backed him up on that saying you can’t expect a guy to play the number of plays he had to and not be adversely affected by it. Not a pure quote, my paraphrase since I don’t have a recording of exact words.

3 Likes