2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

the latest hot gossip is that the cardinals may not draft kyler…I would not draft him first overall, myself…does not fit the mold…but he might be able to have a couple of good years before the coaches get enough film on him to figure out his tendencies…this often happens with many QB’s, especially athletic qbs…so would kyler be worth a first round pick? Yes, because he might well be able to get a team into the playoffs…and getting into the playoffs can make a coach and GM a lot of money…it can make (or save) their careers…

the elite QBs are those who can stay as starters long term and who are able to fake out opposing coaches…but there are a lot of young athletic qb’s who can make a go of it for a year or two or even several years…that is a worthwhile strategy…

as for keenum, he and the viking offense were both figured out by opposing teams about mid way though 2017…but he was wily and canny enough to keep winning that season…but just not as good as the first half of the season…
as for the 2018 season, the broncos were a mess…the coaching staff was bad…he is well off out of there…

I don’t know what his future holds, but if he gets the right situation, he will be playing in january again…he’s not really a franchise QB, as commonly defined, but any team can go deep into the playoffs with keenum or with any journeyman backup…IF the pieces are all in place…

as someone pointed out above, the fan base wants the young first round draft choice to start at QB…that is the marketing aspect of the game coming into play…qbs like keenum are not sexy marketing tools…the latest flashy new toy of the fans…but I would prefer keenum or most journeyman vets over the latest fan idol…

Derek78, I love you, my brother, but on this one…I must disagree with you. Case Keenum should NEVER be compared to Chris Chandler. Chris Chandler and Sean Salisbury are in one Galazy…Case Keenum is in another…Chris Chandler could never measure up to Case. Case Keenum would be closer to John Elway than Chris Chandler.

You keep winning. You stay on the field. That is as clear cut as that.

Case going to compete with Haskins now.

Still a long way to go before the draft is over.
Have you guys noticed how rg3 is pounding on Case? First it was Case signing with the Redskins now highly endorsing Haskins…Very strange if you ask me.

1 Like

Maybe he’s just jealous that an undrafted guy has had a better career?

5 Likes

Case is in a bad situation now. The beloved local guy, drafted #1, will have the fans calling for him before the first practice. We will see how this turns out; but Case will still be making the millions and who knows where he will eventually land. If Denver had a little patience and provided him with some tools, this could have been a really good year for him.

2 Likes

When Case was traded to the Redskins it was highly reported that Gruden had no idea this was going on. Gruden is on the “hot seat” right now. He has to produce this season or else. Time will tell us if Case will play for the Redskins.

Dang I missed that report. Well he better be as good as Goff if he wants to beat out Case.

It’s not even about being good. Case of going to be thrown to the wolves, and be put in a no-win situation, then Haskins will be trotted out to appease the hoard.

2 Likes

We can look at all angles. The biggest point right now is that Case will make $7.5M guaranteed. I believe his contract is $3.5 from the broncos and $3 from the Redskins. What matters is that Case makes the most out of this. Again, this is only the first round.

2 Likes
1 Like

and the Redskins select WR McLaurin from…osu. It is crystal clear what Case’s role is. Take the hits while Haskins learns the playbook. Case is a fantastic competitor. The deck is stacked against him…

2 Likes

I think the best thing for Case is to play well enough for someone to sign him next year, be it the redskins or some other team. I think that is reasonable. I have been watching his games last year and he almost always had his team in a winable situation. Keenum isnt done yet.

5 Likes

Agree. The season is still a few months from starting so I am not rulling out a surprise. He is getting $7M. That is what matters. We all have to remember that this is a business. The NFL is not about logic.

Rick said it best…why the jerk GMs and Coaches cant see it is beyond me…

2 Likes

Elway put the losing season all on Case ignoring all the recievers being rookies for the last half of the season, Elway’s failure to get a decent line, the coach costing several games and the oc keeping Keenum in the pocket and not allowing him to move around except in emergencies. Now Elway has Flaco who is more immpoblie than Keenum and he is expecting different results.This is the classic definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

10 Likes

The only time I watched the NFL Draft this year was to see who Ed went to and who the Skins drafted in the 1st round. So now Case is in the same situation he was in the last year he was with the Rams. I hate the Texans as long as Bilbo is the coach. My NFL watching this year will consist of rooting against the Texans, Rams, Vikings, and Broncos. When Case is on the field I’ll pull for the Skins, otherwise… And, of course, I’ll pull for other Coogs to excel.
I used to be all over the Oilers. Couldn’t get enough of them, even when they were lousy (which was quite often).

Now, except when Case is on the field my relationship with the NFL is one of cool detachment, at best.

11 Likes

Case’s NFL journey is the perfect example why so many QB’s fail and why so many Coaches get fired. The following examples are facts.
Texans - Case
= Kubiak gets fired
Rams - Case
= Fischer gets fired
Vikings - Case
= Shurmur GETS A PROMOTION AND A HEAD COACHING JOB!!!
Broncos - Case
= Joseph gets fired
Now let’s look a bit deeper into the previous examples. What is the common denominator?
Each of the fired Head Coaches had OC that did not tailored or designed an offense to utilise Case’s best abilities. Case’s success with the Vikings would have you thought that the Broncos would have done it. No Musgrave (OC) stuck to his offense and got fired.
Shurmur adapted his offense in the little time (Case was not the starter) that he had to what Case does best.
So Gruden traded for Case for an “insurance policy” until he feels that Haskins can play.
The NFL is like “Groundhog day” Sure a solid OL is key but two “brains” on the same page equals success.
Let’s see how good an offensive mind Kevin O’Connell(New Redskins OC) is. This is his first stint as an NFL OC. Having Case successful (needs to win the starting job) will be a major step for both.

5 Likes