2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

Coog51 feels that Case’s ranking of 51 is about right.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/999001511643332609

6 Likes

Thanks brother! I can’t recall if it was this site or the old board but I remember your posts and analysis during Keenum’s Rams days and that basically got me interested in following his pro career. I haven’t had a solid interest in pro football since the Houston Oilers ceased to exist, and so Keenum has rekindled that interest to the point I’m back to following all league events, from draft to FA to even these minor OTAs.

I feel like I’m back in the early 90s reading the Houston Post sports page every day covering all the team activities. It’s just a darn good story on what our guy has done since that ticket city bowl win vs PSU six years ago!

4 Likes

It is very kind. My pleasure James. I tried to cover him as much as I possibly could. It was never easy but I ought it to all of you gals/guys to give a somewhat local perspective. I can also add that I tried to converse with a few local NFL reporters covering the Rams. What I got was a rather strange reply/comeback. Basically the answer was that Case was never seen as a true member of the Rams Team. That is how some of the media members work. They think that whomever has the biggest paycheck is the one to follow. The L.A. and O.C. media did everything that they could to downplay Case’s game with the Rams. This brings us to today. The current OTA’s/workouts are huge for Case, Case’s OL, his receiving corps and Offensive Coaches to tailor the offense going forward. It is fine to have a game a plan but you gotta design some “packages” that “throw off” the opposition.
Up to this day I will contend that the Oilers were the most talented Team that never won the Super Bowl or multiple Super Bowls. Any Coaches will tell you that the passion that you put into it has to be replicated by the players. They have to buy in. I feel that John Elway sees these traits in Case. Leading men is easy to say. Doing it is a gift.

5 Likes

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/999754622297194496

4 Likes

Love it!!! :heart::heart::heart::heart:

1 Like

I think Case will take the Broncos further than Cousins will take the Vikings.

12 Likes

The formula for competition at Broncos organized team activities a year ago featured a confident defense against a shaky offense. Edge rusher Derek Wolfe said: “We felt like we were going into the same old thing — defense was going to pick up a lot of the slack, this and that.”

Enter quarterback Case Keenum, and through just one week of OTAs, the tune has changed.

“Our competition is great,” Wolfe said. “It’s not one-sided anymore.”

9 Likes

Amen! 1991-1993 especially loved those teams no matter how much they would rip your heart in the postseason.

Case is actually tied to two of the Oilers’ losses in that stretch. He plays for Elway who beat us in 1991 (Drive II) and he just lost to Frank Reich in the NFCCG who QB’d the Bills in the 1992 comeback.

Case reminds me a little of that old Aggie Bucky Richardson who had lots of grit with the Oilers in ‘93 and ‘94. Only Keenum may end up with a 15 yr pro career when it’s all said and done.

2 Likes

Vintage 90s Oilers teams for sure best team to never make a Super Bowl.

Obvious choice is Bills for best team to make but not win a Super Bowl(s) but I would go with the ‘Purple People Eaters’ era Vikings.

2 Likes

5 down. 10 to go.

1 Like

I’m sure the intent is good, but comparing Case to Bucky is definitely not a compliment.

8 Likes

Ha so yes it was so very long ago so I’m sure I’ve forgotten a ton of the particulars.

But looking through the gamelogs online, Bucky had a tough haul during his first starts.
So Cody goes down in game 1 in that blowout loss to Indy where Faulk goes haywire, and Bucky throws 3 TDs to get them on the scoreboard.

Cody is still out with a shoulder injury (a re-occurring theme for 1994) and Bucky has to go to Dallas in week 2. He had a respectable game in a 3 point loss to the back2back champs.

Then his second start (you can watch here 1994 - Week 3 - Buffalo Bills at Houston Oilers - YouTube) he has to face the four-straight AFC champs Bills. And again it was a close loss.

Another interesting tie-in - Jeff Fisher was the DC/interim HC during that 1994 season, so he coached Bucky in his first NFL season and Case in his last. Cool degrees of separation.

Wash your mouth out with soap. Case is in a separate stratosphere from Bucky frickin Richardson.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/JamesPalmerTV/status/1001534976968548352

7 Likes

Thats awesome no doubt at the IPF showing off his home away from home. Whats a guy.

4 Likes

It shows a guy confident in his position to bring the other QB’s as well. Case is a first class guy and the team will follow him.

4 Likes

https://twitter.com/NickiJhabvala/status/1001956942175141889

4 Likes

BINGO…Bucky Richardson! He reminds me of John Elway more, though!

Spoke to Broncos wide receiver Demaryius Thomas today for a story to come in the morning, but this is what he had to say about quarterback Case Keenum as well as some of the wide receivers and tight ends working together on their own in the coming weeks before training camp opens in late July: “We’ll either go to Houston or Arizona, we’re trying to get it all set up now. From doing it years back with Peyton (Manning), I think it really helped, helped the timing with the quarterbacks. And the better you know somebody, the better you can play together. I think it will be a lot better than just having our break and coming back and trying to get on the same page right at the start of camp.”

2 Likes