2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

It’s because Aggies and Horns (and other non-UH alums) were getting jealous of the coverage he was getting. They weren’t used to a Coog being front and center for their NFL team and they didn’t like it.

I had many a “discussion” at the time with folks in regards to Case and the biggest take-a-way was that they didn’t like that Coogs were so vocal in support of him. Some Horns were still upset that the Texans didn’t draft Vince Young. Some Aggies wanted Case out of the way in hopes that the Texans would draft Manziel. Blog writers with Texas State and Texas alums went all-in on the fact that he wasn’t a pro QB. For some reason, the local radio stations decided to join in and trashed Case to no end, probably because they went along with what their listeners wanted… It was a big mess and Case bore a lot of the brunt for a team that just wasn’t very good.

4 Likes

Kubiak was loyal to Schaub, but I bet if hadn’t got fired, Keenum would have had a legit chance to compete for the starting position that next year.

I just hope Case keeps lighting teams up and that he never has to play for Bill O’Brien again.

5 Likes

I don’t know that for sure…im sure kubiak would tell you case wasn’t ready to take over that season. I think he wanted to protect him especially when it it was obvious everyone had mailed it in on both sides of the ball.

Dang I thought I was the only one who thought that. Thanks.

1 Like

You’re not complete wrong, Case had plenty of haters from the orange and maroon crowds. Is that the main reason? I don’t think so, he got thrown in when he wasn’t ready and had a coach and team who had checked out.

Bill comes in, and I think he just didn’t like him. Not on a personal level, but Bill just had a major hard on for more prototype QB’s or guys he’d worked with before like Hoyer and Fitz. But we can all see that it’s worked out for Case finally, he had a long way to go to be NFL ready, but he’s there now and doing great.

3 Likes

Case’s perseverance paid off and he is in a good situation where it seems he is appreciated.

2 Likes

You’re not complete wrong, Case had plenty of haters from the orange and maroon crowds. Is that the main reason? I don’t think so, he got thrown in when he wasn’t ready and had a coach and team who had checked out.

Bill comes in, and I think he just didn’t like him. Not on a personal level, but Bill just had a major hard on for more prototype QB’s or guys he’d worked with before like Hoyer and Fitz. But we can all see that it’s worked out for Case finally, he had a long way to go to be NFL ready, but he’s there now and doing great.

And what % of first year QB’s are ready? That’s a very small number. But almost across the board the media sentiment echoes that “he will need to me to develop and improve”. Well, just about no one save a few voices of reason on UH boards expressed those sentiments in defense of Case. Believe me, there were loads of “real Coogs” who automatically designated him as a career back up at best which, outside of the unconscionable vilification of Case by Houston media types, at least sounded plausible though misguided. Just last year I heard that jackpot Mike Meltzer or whatever his name is on 610 in the morning actually say this, (paraphrase and I kid you not …) “That I could never admit my error in my assessment about Case, because I would have to kill myself because of the things I said about Keenum.” Wow, there’s a double-edged Doucheball.

And ready or not, when Case played his first year (feel free to pull tape) I laugh now about the comments regarding the recent poor Texans’ O-Line play for when Case played that first year the O-Line play was maybe the worst I’ve ever seen. I mean beyond pathetic. Coupled with the fact that Arian Foster was out and they often left an empty backfield … what the hell of any QB behind a horrid offensive line without the threat of a running back could have really done any better?But of course Houston media football experts could only denigrate him for falling short of Tom Brady like performances.

But wait… Case had a 9 to 6 ratio that year, absolutely the worst QB performance by any quarterback in NFL history. And oh wait again … Andre Johnson made the Pro Bowl that year and had only scored one, possibly zero, receiving touchdowns prior to Case starting.

2 Likes

Come on November the 4th!

The naysayers were plenty including Matt Thomas. Over and over again he said that there was no way Case could be a starter maybe at best a third string QB. Remember how Matt Thomas was covering Coach Levine on his show vs the way he was covering uta and atm? Even his tone changed when he talked to scumlin or the then uta coach. I understand the G5 vs P5 angle but talking this way about your alma mater? I stopped streaming his show & I have not listened since. What matters is that Case has progressed year after year. His last three/four years should have silenced every critics out there. We all know that only idiots do not change their opinions.

1 Like

I have to disagree…Matt Thomas is a great coog and being part of the media He has to be objective in his opinions. I think he has a damn good show and recently he’s said he couldn’t be happier to be wrong about case.

1 Like

Kirk Cousins made some really positive remarks on Case Keenum in this brief clip.
Don’t really know too much about Cousins but from the looks of it he’s a good guy off the field.

4 Likes

I’ll disagree with you on Matt T. too. Matt has an acomplished and mastrful radio voice that is expressive. If you’re kinda not listening to him a bunch you miss some of his inglective meaning. That’s not putting a fine point on it either. He’s a great interviewer that tries to get the most out of coaches beyond coach speak. I don’t always agree with him but his takes are rarely knee jerk. His sense of humor and be a bit off at times.

Matt is very supportive of UH and very proud of his university. He can get a crowd of coogs going!

Ig

His interview with Herman after he left was an absolute aberration. He lost my support after that. I called him and told him how disappointed I was about how wrong he was about Case and he he got pretty mad. It was classic.

I’ll agree with you. I heard the same thing that you did and I question if others even heard the extent of it.

He supported Case initially but after the 8 losses he stuck a fork in case. He said many times that he is done, at best a third string quarterback, and lucky to even be in the league. It was more detailed than that but it was more than being just constructive criticism. He sounded like the rest of the talking heads. And I called in to discuss some of the dynamics of the situation (right after the 8 loss stretch) and he was flat out rude. Cut me off, didn’t let me talk at all. Told me and the rest of the Case Keemun fans that it is over and to take off our red colored glasses, stop living in fairy tale world and some other crap. That was the last time I listened to anything he had to say.

It’s one thing to disagree but the disrespect is uncalled for. I’m sure he is hopping on the band wagon now, wouldn’t expect anything less from him.

3 Likes

mad like the amount of coog fans get when people have an opinion they don’t like about keenum? nothing wrong with matt’s comments. he isn’t a homer.

1 Like

No, way more mad than that.:grinning:

I would say he is a homer but in a way where he doesn’t overly flaunt it. Which is what he should be doing.

No one needs to be a homer, but no one needs to be rude and indignant when in the wrong and it’s brought to one’s attention, especially after you’ve really emphasized your now proven wrong assertions. By the way, I’ve heard MT routinely “apologize” for injecting UH info into the conversation, as in recognizing his own bias as if any Houston media member should do the same if the discuss the Texans, Rockets or Astros??? What MT does know about UH sports as he likes to flaunt is only because of what his access provides him. I’ve heard him make comments about UH at times where he was was a away off the mark. And he’s rather smug.

1 Like

Good anecdote about that 2nd bowl game against Air Force.

And the process of getting to know Case Keenum, the man, is not a difficult task, aside from the time constraints inherent with being the quarterback here. Keenum will take a selfie with just about anyone. He’s a native West Texan who hollered across the practice fields to compliment a co-worker’s cowboy boots, so Keenum and Von — now there’s a first-name guy — should get along just fine.

4 Likes