2022 Case Keenum Thread - Houston Texans back home where he belongs

I concur. I have known/listened about Matt Thomas since 1989 when he was working the switch board on KSEV for Dan Patrick. The Dan Patrick that is now in politics. He went to Minnesota & came back to Houston. His radio support for U of H was nonexistent at best. Again my comments were made when Case started. His then comments about U of H (not even Case) were like talking about H.S. sports vs the pros. I expect any sports radio head to comment about one School the same way it covers others. This has nothing to do about being a homer or not. Yes, I really liked his sense of humor but that’s not the point. I am calling a spade a spade. Is he a band wagoner? You decide. Did he change" Great, good for him. The way Case has matured is truly remarkable. I have not doubts that the main reason that he was not drafted was due to playing in a G5 and in a so called “system”. Mayfiled was drafted #1#1. What did he do better than Case to get the #1 pick?
The fact that he got drafted #1 speaks volume on how much Case has changed N.F.L. minds. Some G.M. finally understands that the “prototypical” QB is not a sure bet for success.

9 Likes

The Texan’s QB graveyard is full of NFL QB prototypes.

8 Likes

VERY well said!!

1 Like

Pulitzer Prize winning journalism it says on the papers banner. Interesting.

https://www.richmond.com/sports/ap/journeyman-keenum-is-finally-the-guy-at-quarterback-for-a/article_04565401-d6a2-535e-8a2f-6d9b4cdb0059.html

“Everyone kind of underestimates him because he’s 6-1,” said John Elway, the Broncos’ president of football operations. “He doesn’t have the prototypical build when it comes to an NFL quarterback, but he’s got everything else. He’s very efficient at everything.”

8 Likes

Two drives in not a good start at all for the Denver offense with two 3-and-outs. Case will need to play another drive. They are looking ragged to put it mildly.

Cousins had a superb sideline bullet pass on his drive. Vikes easily drove down and scored.

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1028448352290004992

Well they just out in the 2nd team. Gonna be some bad press for this week. Super ugly two drives. Hopefully a wake up call for the offense.

Keenum’s backup throws a pick in his first drive.

Man, not a good start. They were in his face on most of the (very few) throws but he did have a chance on that first third down, threw it too high to the rookie. Vikings looking good.

Yeah he definitely had pressure on a lot of the throws. And on one play Sanders thought it was a run play and started blocking while Case was looking for him.

It was only two drives but they have a looong way to go to resemble a great offense.

2 Likes

After last year, I think the jury is way out on the Denver coaching staff. They look a little over their head but time will tell.

3 Likes

The hard part on that is the front office for the Broncos is first class all the way and they hand-picked Joseph. They’re not going to just let him go like some random, expendable coach.

Short Case sideline interview said all the right things as usual.

And at quarterback from Houston…

https://twitter.com/nfl/status/1028447443740807168?s=21

5 Likes

There should absolutely 100 percent be no cause for concern. This the first preseason game!

5 Likes

I too think the coaching staff will need to prove itself.

Extrapolating from too small a sample:

Does John Elway stink at picking quarterbacks? Case Keenum looks like journeyman and Paxton Lynch flops against Vikings.

1 Like

I’ve never heard of that guy, but he’d probably do well on a show like First Take or Undefeated or some other show I’ll never watch.

2 Likes

That guy had an agenda before the game was ever played. This is why they play these games to get up to speed.

LOL. Settle down, Mark. It’s 6 snaps in the first preseason game.

And this comment is so dumb:

The Broncos could go from 5-11 to the playoffs with Keenum as their quarterback. That’s good.

The Vikings could get fitted with Super Bowl rings with Cousins as their quarterback. That’s as good as it gets.

You get what you pay for.

So, in this imaginary world, both QBs make their teams better and that makes Keenum a mistake? It’s unlikely any QB would take the Broncos from 5-11 to a Super Bowl ring.

2 Likes

This is obviously a “work in progress” Take away? The Broncos OL is far from being ready. This opposition will be very beneficial to them. What scheme worked, run game, passing game etc…What did Case notice, learned? What to make of Sanders miss-communication? Film room, train, train and train again. The Broncos D faltered but keep in mind that their best player/defense anchor was not playing. Von Miller at this stage of his career is almost like another Coach on the field. His sideline observation is very important to a young Team. From a Coaching point of view this will be a very good tape to analyze. I have the feeling that the Broncos are not done signing players. They lack depth. That is obvious & the major concern for me.